Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the other threads were closed, if anyone needs any help or has any questions, I will be glad to help. Post up your questions and I (and other members) will do the best I can to help.

NO BS IN THIS THREAD. I don't want it closed. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
what is your detailing background? may help with the type of questions you will be asked.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Best polish, clay, and wax to use, recommended steps and application for best finsh

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what is your detailing background? may help with the type of questions you will be asked.
Personal experience over the past 5-6 years, extensive research, and somewhat "commercial" experience over the past 2-3 years. Don't get me wrong, I am by no means an expert, and I am still learning, but I am truly passionate about detailing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best polish, clay, and wax to use, recommended steps and application for best finsh
It really depends on the application, but I'd use the following, in this order:

-Nanoskin Autoscrub clay disc used by machine.
-Meguiar's M105 polish used by machine with a white pad.
-Wax is really a toss up, I like Meguiar's NXT topped with P21S carnauba.

Application:

Clay Disc - After washing, I like to just use a fresh bucket of car soap, and soak the entire vehicle (or a section at a time) and use this as the lubricant for the clay. Use a low speed on a dual action, and slowly go over the entire vehicle, making overlapping passes. Spray clay lubricant (instant detailer) can also be used instead of car soap.

Polish - Utilizing a small (2 foot by 2 foot) section, apply the polish to the pad (after priming the pad) and press the polisher to the paint surface. Begin on a medium-high speed, and bump up the speed as necessary. Make smooth, overlapping passes, and wipe off before the polish has a chance to dry. Inspect, and repeat as necessary.

Wax - Apply by machine or by hand. If the wax calls for it to dry before removal, allow to dry for 45 minutes to an hour. Use the "finger test" (wipe a 1" streak with your finger. If any residue is left, it is not dry.) to make sure it is completely dry, and remove with a microfiber. P21S, specifically, does not need to dry. NXT, however, does.

·
Registered
657 Posts
perfect good to know! thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have a black truck and when I give it a bath its dull looking what do you suggest as far as steps and what to use to make it shine real nice lol.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have a black truck and when I give it a bath its dull looking what do you suggest as far as steps and what to use to make it shine real nice lol.
The "dullness" is probably fine scratches hiding the true potential of your paint. It could be oxidation, but I highly doubt it, since your truck is a 2009 model.

I would:

- Wash w/ Dawn-Car Soap Mixture
- Clay (IronX bath is optional)
- Compound with orange pad
- Polish with white pad
- Glaze with black pad
- Wax/seal with your choice of finishing pad

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I am going to re-polish my WELD (1 piece) Forged Rims. There is no clearcoat on them. Just Polished aluminum. They are really high quality rims. When polished they look as shiny as Chrome.

The current condition is Dull in spots, and covered in not easily washed Brake dust. This happened from 1 summer. I cleaned and shined them religously weekly, but last summer it was maybe once a month... No Bueno!

I have jewlers rogue, but it blackens almost instantly. I guess it's pretty important to clean the rim to pure aluminum first. So please give me advise on what steps to take, and what tools to use!

·
Registered
40 Posts
What products work really well on black vehicles?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Just curious, is there any way to redo a type of clear coat? Meaning if the paint is oxidized so bad that the paint comes off if you try to rub it or apply any wax. Is there any way to get it to shine again without taking off the paint and repainting?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am going to re-polish my WELD (1 piece) Forged Rims. There is no clearcoat on them. Just Polished aluminum. They are really high quality rims. When polished they look as shiny as Chrome.

The current condition is Dull in spots, and covered in not easily washed Brake dust. This happened from 1 summer. I cleaned and shined them religously weekly, but last summer it was maybe once a month... No Bueno!

I have jewlers rogue, but it blackens almost instantly. I guess it's pretty important to clean the rim to pure aluminum first. So please give me advise on what steps to take, and what tools to use!
I'm not quite as knowledgeable on this, but here is what I'd do.

I'd begin by cleaning them with some Citrus Cleaner and a sponge, and scrub. Follow up with some Sonax, and then a good polish with a high quality metal polish and a Mother's PowerBall or some sort of machine.

At worst, I would use some 0000 grade steel wool in combination with a heavy degreaser (like Purple Power, or something similar). Then try polishing with a metal polish and the steel wool, and then polish with the PowerBall.

Keep them coated with some good wheel wax, and you should be set. Keep in mind, if using a wheel cleaner each time, it will strip the wax off.

What products work really well on black vehicles?
Same thing as any other color. :rof Read the posts above, that will give you a good place to start. :thumb

Just curious, is there any way to redo a type of clear coat? Meaning if the paint is oxidized so bad that the paint comes off if you try to rub it or apply any wax. Is there any way to get it to shine again without taking off the paint and repainting?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
OptiCoat is similar to a clear coat substitute. It is not completely permanent, however. I'd look into that. But if you flake the actual paint color off, you would need to buy some touch up paint.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Thanks I will be sure to do that! And this time I plan on keeping up with it.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Thanks I will be sure to do that! And this time I plan on keeping up with it.
I am going to try some sharkhide on my polished stockers will let you know how it holds up

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ive never even heard of 3/4 of the products people are using. Whatever walmart has is all i ever thought was available. I need to look into some of this good stuff.
Meguiar's "over-the-counter" products available at WalMart are decent, and good enough for the average joe; but I'm never satisfied with my vehicles. :rof

1 - 20 of 128 Posts