Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Y`ALL.

I am planning on doing a DPF delete on a 2007.5 LMM.

I called a shop here in Canada and they said they would remove the DPF and replace it with another 4 in pipe attached the sensors to the newly installed pipe and put on a Diablo tuner on it for me for $1100 parts and labour included.

My question is this is a Diablo tuner good? I am not familiar with this kinda of stuff?

Any help is aprreciated.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Hell no. Have em install some EFI tunes. For 360 you could get some great tunes from a reputable tuner.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks mcle6103.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I know everybody on here is all about efi live and when I can afford it I will get it but I just bought an 02 lb7 and have the diablo sport predator that came with it. Currently I have it set to 65hp and there's a HELL of a power increase compared to stock. Im doing well with it and am happy with it but finances will always decide where you go next, of course we all want to upgrade

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Matt`s02Dmax,

Thanks for the reply, I am happy to see that 65HP and you notice a Hell of power difference. Is that the maximum that it can be brought up to? Is it easy to figure out?

I work on computers all day, I dont imagine it will be hard to figure out. How many different levels are there on it? And if different levels what would be the gain on it?

Thanks again.

Dan

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Hi Matt`s02Dmax,

Thanks for the reply, I am happy to see that 65HP and you notice a Hell of power difference. Is that the maximum that it can be brought up to? Is it easy to figure out?

I work on computers all day, I dont imagine it will be hard to figure out. How many different levels are there on it? And if different levels what would be the gain on it?

Thanks again.

Dan
Are you set on getting a canned tuner and custom tunes are not an option?

·
Registered
311 Posts
On my tuner I justed started to play around with it, and it's really easy to use. And there are 5 different settings, which are stock, 40hp for towing, 65hp for economy, a Hi tune rated at 85hp, and then the extreme tune rated at 120hp. I've only had it set on 65hp for any amount of time so I couldnt tell you how fuel mileage would range at the higher settings. Recently i've been getting 17mpg which I dont think is that great, but since the temp lately has been -5 or so i've had to let it warm up. But to use the programmer just shut everything off, the radio, all the electronics, dont mess with the windows or anything, and plug it into the port without the key into the ignition, and it'll direct you from there. you'll have to click through all of the disclaimers first. You have to turn the ignition on and off a few times but it will tell you when. If you haven't tuned it yet the first page will have a few options. Click "tune it" and follow it from there. U'll get to the page where it has all the tunes listed and click whichever one you want pending on what youre after. It only takes a few minutes to program. If you set it on the higher tunes (85hp or 120hp) for any amount of time i'd like to know how your mileage is. Also, it says on the programmer that it recommends a upgraded exhaust and air intake. Right now i'm running a 4" diamondeye exhaust with a 5 inch tip, a k&n air intake, and a banks big head wastegate with the tune, seems like a good combo

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have a buddy who has 2 lly's 1 lifted srw and 1 drw used for towing. He absolutly loves the diablo. It is very cost effective and puts out good solid tunes. If u want to spend the money, the efi live is also very good. But the diablo predator is by no means, a bad tuner. Mpg was increased power as well

·
Registered
311 Posts
The only thing is if you are running a stock trans be careful when you are doing 4-5 or 5-4 shifts, you WILL easily limp the trans if you put it to the floor going 60 down the highway, so you have to be responsible, i limped mine twice now just because i got hot headed, haha

If you limp the trans it will be stuck in third gear and you will be running about 2700rpms at 60 with no shifting at all. Just pull over and turn it off, cycle the key 3 times and get back on the road, It resets it or something and everything will be back to normal, but it scared the hell out of me!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the great information guy`s..I think I will go with the Diablo...

I have heard good things about EFI as well...but I am a little paranoid of loading new tunes into the truck....dont want to mess things up...i would rather go for something simple at first..

I would freak if it was to limp...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Matt what do you mean about the 4-5 or 5-4 shifts? I would not put the truck in manual mode, i would put it in automatic..do you mean if i was to floor it while it was in that gear range I would limp it?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I mean when the truck shifts from fourth gear into fifth gear, or from fifth into fourth on acceleration. On the 02 lb7 that I have I dont have manual mode. When you accelerate hard when you are in fifth gear cruisin it downshifts, more than 370hp at the crank will cause the clutches to begin to slip, which will cause a signal to go to the tranny to lock itself in third gear to protect itself. Like when mine limped it was when my friend tried to pass me and I floored it, it downshifts into fourth and it does a wierd shift and you see the rpms redline at about 3500. Then it wont shift, it's locked in third.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the great information guy`s..I think I will go with the Diablo...

I have heard good things about EFI as well...but I am a little paranoid of loading new tunes into the truck....dont want to mess things up...i would rather go for something simple at first..

I would freak if it was to limp...
When it comes to actually loading the tunes onto your truck, one is no more complicated than the other. Both require a simple hand held box that plugs into your port. EFI is not some scary risky tuning route. It holds the same risks as a canned tuner and yet yields results that are 100X better. I don't see how you justify the diablo over EFI. The tuners are more powerful, cleaner, easier on the engine and more efficient. How is diablo better?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am not saying the diablo is better. I said in my first posting that if I could afford it I would get EFI Live in a second. I've heard EFI is the best way to go and gives the best results. I bought this truck with the diablo and he was asking how it works and I was explaining it. Once I get the $ I will get EFI but until then the Diablo is my option

lacroixd, if you havent tuned it yet but have the extra $ to go with EFI Live, do it, but I havent had experience with it, but that's definetely the best way to go

It sounded like you already bought the diablo in one of your first postings

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
On my tuner I justed started to play around with it, and it's really easy to use. And there are 5 different settings, which are stock, 40hp for towing, 65hp for economy, a Hi tune rated at 85hp, and then the extreme tune rated at 120hp. I've only had it set on 65hp for any amount of time so I couldnt tell you how fuel mileage would range at the higher settings. Recently i've been getting 17mpg which I dont think is that great, but since the temp lately has been -5 or so i've had to let it warm up. But to use the programmer just shut everything off, the radio, all the electronics, dont mess with the windows or anything, and plug it into the port without the key into the ignition, and it'll direct you from there. you'll have to click through all of the disclaimers first. You have to turn the ignition on and off a few times but it will tell you when. If you haven't tuned it yet the first page will have a few options. Click "tune it" and follow it from there. U'll get to the page where it has all the tunes listed and click whichever one you want pending on what youre after. It only takes a few minutes to program. If you set it on the higher tunes (85hp or 120hp) for any amount of time i'd like to know how your mileage is. Also, it says on the programmer that it recommends a upgraded exhaust and air intake. Right now i'm running a 4" diamondeye exhaust with a 5 inch tip, a k&n air intake, and a banks big head wastegate with the tune, seems like a good combo
I've been running mine on the 85 hp tune for over 5 years.
It'll actually get a little bit better mileage than the 60 hp 'economy' tune.

Try it! :thumb

·
Registered
311 Posts
Alright rms, i'll for sure give it a shot, I hope I do get better mileage on that tune cuz it's always nice to have that little extra power when a chummins or a powerjoke piss me off, haha

·
Registered
311 Posts
What mods are you running in your truck rms? Have you ever had a problem limping the trans?

·
Premium Member
2,380 Posts
What mods are you running in your truck rms? Have you ever had a problem limping the trans?
I just have the Predator with an S & B intake. The exhaust is still on the shelf, after five years.
So, no limping problems ever. But, that may change as I have some new stuff to put on. :thumb

It's at 161k & has never been to the dealer. Pretty awesome, so far.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Y'all

No I have not purchased the Diablo yet. From what I've read in all the responses I may change my mind and go with EFI now. I've been reading up a bit about EFI live.

I have some questions, I saw that you get the tunes via email and that they have different levels. What I mean is I think they have 5 settings on them to tune it to. From my understanding you load the tunes via a laptop, am I correct?

If so, how would I go about changing to a different level, example if I want to go from stock tune to let's say I want to go to the racing tune, how would I change it to that option?

Would I have to use a laptop to change my tunes every time, is there a way to do it on the fly?

A reminder I am in Canada, will the suppliers ship everything I need to me?

What would I be looking at roughly for everything I need, I am not looking for super tunes, just something that will give me good fuel mileage and something that will allow me to kick some ass as well if I need to...with fords or dodges...lol

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Dan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts