Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have about 3k on my truck since I hit it with the diablosport, and here are my pro's and cons;

Pros;

Its mighty fun to get sideways on loose pavement.
Its mighty fun to soot people.
Its mighty fun to pull your friends cars pretty hardcore, and soot them at the same time.
Adjustability of the speed limiter is nice to have.

The truck came alive on the 120 HP setting, on anything up to there it was weaksauce.

Cons;

I can't take it out of the 120 hp setting since its so fun.
Hard shifting on occasion, from 1-2-3 either when cold, or from 150-160 *F
When coasting coming off the highway, or down from about 60 mph the trans will catch, as to engine break for about .5 seconds then kick down again. (This is really obnoxious)
The MPG in my DIC reads UBER high. Like 24 when I got 18. It used to read about 1 mpg lower.

That ends the pro's and cons, here I will write about the other things that aren't really pro's or con's lol

The truck hauls ass now, and its great to have some nut for passing people and to do highway pulls to clear some traffic. The MPG didnt come up much, even on a 650 mile trip to canada at about 73-76 mph. (Only +2) and normally its maybe +1.

But this is the ONLY mod so far, an exhaust is next and should help that a bit more I would hope.

Reason for diablosport:

Didn't want something with an option over 120 hp seeing as my part time job so to speak is drag racing. And more power in the truck would mean less money into the race program.

Wanted something cheap, got this for 200 bucks after my summit discount and some gift certificates they supply me as part of a deal.

Wasn't in the mood to have something semi-permanent in the truck until the 100k mark comes up. Then I'll really be broke lol.

The truck is an 07 DRW CC, 15k on it.

Hope this helps people out in the future!
-Ryan

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
yeah, it is pretty fun to drive with the extra power. Just be careful and don't beat on it too much on the 120 setting unless you have money to upgrade the tranny. You will eventually limp your tranny. You might want to get a transgo jr. kit at a minimum. It is pretty cheap and easy to do. As far as the way the tranny is shifting....it has to relearn each time you change settings in normal and tow/haul if you use it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input!

How much are these transgo kits when you say not too $$? And how hard are they to install?

I will def. put a new tranny in the truck once the 100k comes up, I try to keep off of the truck as much as possible. I need to get another daily driver though, and keep the truck at the house all the time like I planned in the first place!

The trans will take 3000 miles to learn though? I haven't changed anything at all, haven't put it in tow haul once either.

I will have to use it again this weekend, so I'll see how it re-learns when I put the programmer back on it.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I am only talking about $137 (from suncoastconverters.com). From what I have read, if you add this and a torque converter (that is quite expensive) your tranny should handle quite a bit more. If you haven't limped your tranny, then the transgo jr kit will be good for now since your clutches aren't burned yet. The install of the kit is pretty easy from what I have read...on suncoast's site it states that you do not have to pull the tranny. The shifting problem could be from the extra power you are throwing at it too. Also, it could take a while for the tranny to relearn if you don't drive it everyday. Another thing that I have noticed with mine is the shifting is different when it is cold vs warm. There is more slipping going on when cold to heat it up a little faster. Also, you said that you have 15,000 miles on your truck....have you changed your tranny spin-on filter yet? You need to change that about every 10,000 miles. Also, don't change the tranny at 100,000....just rebuild it with one of the suncoast kits. It will be a whole lot cheaper especially if you can do the build yourself.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
They are pretty cheap and install without having to remove the transmission. I am installing one in a customers truck next week.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you guys rock!

I will def. invest in one ASAP. I will have my local trans shop do it since they hook me up with everything else.

My filter and fluid is at the dealer that just closed its doors before I left for vacation 2 weeks ago...

I have to call another dealer in the AM and get some on its way. Any fluid in particular you guys like over others?

·
Registered
680 Posts
With the transgo jr kit could I run more hp? Right now I have my predator at 85hp, straight pipe, blocked and stuck, also did the free air box mod. Could I run in 120hp with no problems from trans?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you post whats in the kit for me so I don't have to find it? Heading home from work in a few then its off to bed lol

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
With the transgo jr kit could I run more hp? Right now I have my predator at 85hp, straight pipe, blocked and stuck, also did the free air box mod. Could I run in 120hp with no problems from trans?
Personally, I would still be careful if you don't do the torque converter upgrade too. In one of the last issues (july) of diesel power they did a test with the PPE Hot+2 and all they did to the tranny was add an aftermarket torque converter and co-pilot from ATS (over $2000 worth of upgrades). See, the transgo jr takes care of the clutches from slipping, then the stock converter will slip. Although, I'm sure you could get away with not doing the converter, but I don't how long you will good for.

As far as the transgo jr....it looks like some springs and check balls. I believe you just have to remove the valve body and make the modifications to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts