Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first new diesel, so excited only to find out how bad it is to let it idle. I Have 90 hours on the engine, I would say 30 have been at idle. Have I ruined my engine?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Ruined? No. Damaged it? Likely.

1. To break it it properly the engine needs to work. Idling isn't work.
2. Most of the engine is lubed by pressurized oil, but some is lubricated by oil splash. There is very little splash at idle so some parts were not getting the lubrication they need.

WTF are you doing in your truck where you idle it for 30 hours anyways.

You need to hook up to a trailer ASAP, and put that thing to work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ruined? No. Damaged it? Likely.

1. To break it it properly the engine needs to work. Idling isn't work.
2. Most of the engine is lubed by pressurized oil, but some is lubricated by oil splash. There is very little splash at idle so some parts were not getting the lubrication they need.

WTF are you doing in your truck where you idle it for 30 hours anyways.

You need to hook up to a trailer ASAP, and put that thing to work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your response. Let me explain a little further.
In the morning I would start the truck while I was getting ready. Once at work I would leave it running while I was loading it. Also would leave it running while I went into the store. I thought originally it was better for the truck to stay running because of the glow plugs. Less wear and tear on them. So it idled intermittently between loads for an hour here and an hour there

You seem to be very knowledgeable,
What are the chances that I will have blowback now. It might not have been 30 hours but for argument sake let’s say it was

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
A couple of thoughts come to mind. Today's engines don't need to be "broken in" like the old days. I believe GM recommends 500 miles before towing. I don't think it's going to blow by like grandma's 20 year old Buick with less than 20k miles on it if that's your concern. Also, there is a calculation for engine hours to miles. If you multiply the amount of hours on your engine x's 60, it's equivalent to approximately 1,800 miles. If it idles a lot, be mindful to keep within your oil change intervals. Our fleet (gas powered) average 10 hours per day, 7 out of 14 days from the day they go in service. Granted not diesel, but same principle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Idling is a total waste of your fuel and wear and tear on the engine. Not necessary except at first start for a few minutes. So live and learn. I’m sure your engine will be fine in the long run. I did the opposite I had about 1000 miles on my trip when I drove it cross country in two days from Michigan to Montana. Day 1 was 12 hours straight and I didn’t shut the truck off while fueling. Day two was 17 hours and same thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I’ll add if it’s not running weird or throwing codes you are going to most likely be ok. Just reduce the idling moving forward. As an example in my fleet service business the power company changes oil on all trucks, large medium duty freightliner, at 250 hours. Fuel filters at 500. On the power company heavy equipment we service it every 150-200 hours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ll add there are no codes and it seems to still have plenty of power.
I feel like the dealership should inform you these things. I would have never known if I hadn’t done research myself

·
Registered
285 Posts
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it brother. A few minutes or even nearly an hour here and there between trips is not what I would call excessive idling. Idling for hours overnight would be excessive. I've done that routinely for 6-10 hours at a time with no adverse effects. Of course, mine was well broken in when this practice began. I wouldn't idle a new truck overnight until it had several miles on it but who knows what "several" is. Just keep driving it like you own it and watch your idle time for a while yet, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I doubt you have hurt anything guys in Alaska will idle there diesels 8 to 10 hours I have been told with no damage

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you blythkd1
That does make me feel better. It was a sinking feeling in my heart.
As far as the people in Alaska, I wonder if they raise the idle speed to 1,200 or something like that.

Another question, would the computer on the truck be smart enough to recognize idling damage?

·
Registered
106 Posts
In some states it's against the law to leave a Diesel idling for more than 5 minutes, part of the Clear Air Act.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Come to Phx and leave it idling while your shopping, you won’t have to worry about your truck anymore. ;-)
Glowplugs won’t be a problem shutting down and starting, emissions crap more than likely will with excessive idling.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Anybody have any data on how idling affects dpf plugging? I mean none of them smoke at idle so very little soot. And they'll idle 3 hours on a gallon of fuel. So I'm just wondering if idling actually plugs up the dpf sooner or not. Has anyone idled overnight then had to regen sooner than they normally would have?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a question in regards to the last comment. I thought the truck regens on its own, if this is true than why would you ask if anyone after idling overnight would have to regen sooner than normal?
What I mean is how would you know you regen sooner than normal if the truck does it on its own?
Also can the truck regen during a idle?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts