Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
It will ultimately clog up. Error out. And cause permanent damage (to the DPF) if don’t issue a forced regen at dealer or using factory tools. It’s a special procedure with elevated idol and hood open.

I’m curious how long one could idol right after regen. Bet a long long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
The glow plugs only function on cold starts. I would stop with the excessive idling , today.
In todays expensive world why on Gods Green Earth would you idle it so much, wasting all that fuel?

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
As far as the people in Alaska, I wonder if they raise the idle speed to 1,200 or something like that.
They add two electric battery blankets, or plates under the battery, and possibly even add another block heater on the other side of the engine.

They then plug them into an electrical outlet (using an Arctic extension cord that stays flexible down to under 40 below, I still have mine) to keep the engines and batteries warm so they start when it is REALLY cold.

·
Registered
500 Posts
In todays expensive world why on Gods Green Earth would you idle it so much, wasting all that fuel?
In short, to keep from freezing to death. I didn't spend much time out this winter but last year my coldest night out was 18 below zero. Call me a sissy, but I can't hack it. My typical night burns about 2 gallons. To put it into perspective, back in my big truck days we hardly ever shut the truck off and it burned about a gallon an hour at idle.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have a question in regards to the last comment. I thought the truck regens on its own, if this is true than why would you ask if anyone after idling overnight would have to regen sooner than normal?
What I mean is how would you know you regen sooner than normal if the truck does it on its own?
Also can the truck regen during a idle?
Lot of misinformation here and some accurate information. In short, the white truck in the picture just happened to be there (4 well frag going on at my ranch). It belonged to the company that provides the lubrication for the wire line and fraq boys.

I was there 5 days last week and it was never turned off until the last day and remained onsite for both shifts. Reason it was turned of was the company man and I were standing on the porch talking and he finally got enough of the regen smell. Told them to turn it off when not being used. :) Point is this trucks hours are most likely 90% idle and it runs fine according to the operator. I was very curious myself and never let mine idle when it is not necessary. 20200307_173746.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drive for a small Hot Shot company with...oh, 6 trucks, all 2500 and 3500's. One of the younger kids will sleep in the 2019 Silverado almost every night. Passing through Colorado Springs the truck threw a code on a Saturday and the local shop removed the DPF and sent it out to be cleaned and I'm sure that wasn't cheap considering the 3 motel days and loss of revenue. The shop reinstalled the filter but did not put the doughnut gasket back in and sure enough, 50 miles later there was a code and the shop told the young "pattuan" driver to return to the shop. By the time he arrived,
there was smoke and codes and alarms. And a brand new hole burnt through the finderwell and a bundle of copper wires hanging down, also burnt.

The bill equated to roughly the cost of 50 hotel rooms/nights.

I for one will be glad when all this DEF, DPF, SNG, EGR, XYZ stuff just goes away.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
the shop told the young "pattuan" driver to return to the shop. By the time he arrived,
there was smoke and codes and alarms. And a brand new hole burnt through the finderwell and a bundle of copper wires hanging down, also burnt.

The bill equated to roughly the cost of 50 hotel rooms/nights.

I for one will be glad when all this DEF, DPF, SNG, EGR, XYZ stuff just goes away.
That shop should have been responsible for all those repairs caused by their negligence.

But be careful what yo uwish for, all those things Will go away, when the trucks become electric!

·
Registered
121 Posts
That shop should have been responsible for all those repairs caused by their negligence.

But be careful what yo uwish for, all those things Will go away, when the trucks become electric!
. Plz don’t say electric lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
261 Posts
The North Slope trucks idle 24-7 for about 5 months at a time. A buddy bought a 13 LML, only had 23k miles on it, but had 4400 hours on it. He’s had it 5 years now and put almost 100k in it and it hasn’t missed a lick. He did have a few things “fall off”, but the core of the engine and drivetrain is rock solid.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts