Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I bought a set of 20x10 American eagle alloy 114s with tires for my truck. I only paid 400 bucks for all 4. The only down fall was they were chrome. Not a fan of chrome at all. I even kept them that way for a week trying to get them to grow on me. Well I gave in and bought some plasti dip and glossifier and so happy I did. Here are some before and after pictures.

Land vehicle Alloy wheel Tire Rim Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

Alloy wheel Tire Rim Wheel Automotive tire

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Car

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
229 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Those look so much better, nice job

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I spoke to soon and came outside today and 3 of my wheels half the plasti dip was falling off. Idk if it was from the rain all day yesterday or what but I just re did them. If the shit falls off again I'm just gonna paint them. Anyone ever use plasti kote spray paint? Seen an add for it in the new diesel magazine.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Did you clean the wheels before hand? Like get wax off and stuff. It stuff sticks to pretty much anything.

·
Registered
619 Posts
How did you prep the wheels and how long did they have to cure before it started raining?

·
Registered
349 Posts
It looks real good, lets hope it sticks better next coat.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Looks pretty sick. I don't like chrome either haha

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Not bad.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I did mine too, but I hate how shitty it looks. From a distance, it looks ok, just cause they aren't chrome...but up close, its all textured and spotty, and it peels off the edge by the tires all the time...I prepped mine pretty good, mineral spirits, etc, and they got about 3-4 coats, and had plenty of time to dry.. but..meh. Wheels/tires are for sale if anyone needs some 19.5's! ;D

Before:

After:

Here is a closer pic, you can kinda see how crappy they look

·
#SecretSquirrel
2,000 Posts
OP you know eagle alloy 114s are like finding gold right? Would you consider selling those wheels? Just curious not that I have the coin righ now but been looking for those wheels in chrome some kinda bad!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I thought they looked great, and before I even read that they were peeling I wondered about how that would hold up. Has anyone on here plasti-dipped rims before and actually had them hold up and last? I think it looks awesome, and have always wondered if that would work, but just assumed that it wouldn't.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
I thought they looked great, and before I even read that they were peeling I wondered about how that would hold up. Has anyone on here plasti-dipped rims before and actually had them hold up and last? I think it looks awesome, and have always wondered if that would work, but just assumed that it wouldn't.
The ones on my bimmer have been there almost a year and 10K miles.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
How do they look? Any peeling or signs of wear?
Nope. Could be cleaned but that's it. My truck wheels could use a touch up, but they have been off road a bit and have these little dimples in them, which it didn't stick so well once it dried. Once it dried it shrank a little and popped out of the hole. If you can imagine what I'm saying.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nope. Could be cleaned but that's it. My truck wheels could use a touch up, but they have been off road a bit and have these little dimples in them, which it didn't stick so well once it dried. Once it dried it shrank a little and popped out of the hole. If you can imagine what I'm saying.

Nice! Not to thread jack, but what kind of prep did you all do?

·
Registered
8,345 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Plastidip when prepped right holds up extremely well, some people do there whole car and it lasts years just do your research on prepping.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts