Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the 2004 lb7 came with a cat? iI'm the second owner and don't know if it had one or not. This is a California truck thanks Sean

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
possibly, some of all of the early Duramax's made for sale in Cali had cats.. some did, some didn't.. it should be on your "build sheet" or coded in your glove box.

·
Registered
166 Posts
if the truck was sold in cali. then it had one. 2003 trucks and on had cats if they where sold new in cali.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Check for one of the codes in your glove box from the following list.

YF5 is for the CA emissions
FE9 is Federal emissions with no EGR/CAT (NF4 federal emissions with EGR/CAT aka Clean Fuel Vehicle Fleet Emissions).
NE1 is Northeast emissions this covers MA, ME, NY and/or VT. They have adopted the CA emissions package (some of these states opted in at different times, at least that is my understanding.)
VCL is Clean Fuel Vehicle Fleet emissions and also will have the CA emissions package.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Great, I have the YF5 code. Now can someone tell me how to block the EGR?

·
Registered
684 Posts
There is no finger stick for the LB7 so the best way I know of is to get EFI live or find someone with EFI live and doctor your tune to disable it. A blocker plate is optional unless you plan to run big horse power since the LB7 EGR valve is spring loaded and takes about 25 psi boost to overcome. Don't you have emissions testing in Las Vegas? If not, then I would loose the vacuum pump for sure. There are excellent vendors here such as IdahoRob that specialize in EFI live and can fix you up very nice.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
Check for one of the codes in your glove box from the following list.

YF5 is for the CA emissions
FE9 is Federal emissions with no EGR/CAT (NF4 federal emissions with EGR/CAT aka Clean Fuel Vehicle Fleet Emissions).
NE1 is Northeast emissions this covers MA, ME, NY and/or VT. They have adopted the CA emissions package (some of these states opted in at different times, at least that is my understanding.)
VCL is Clean Fuel Vehicle Fleet emissions and also will have the CA emissions package.
Ok, so my truck shows FE9 (Federal Emmisions) and NF2 (Some other emmisions crap). Do I have an EGR or not? If so, I want to block that crapper off.

·
Registered
877 Posts
federal emissions for your truck means it only has a muffler so your good to go no egr or cats for you!:drink

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yes we have Emission testing in Vegas. It sucks, just under $50 dollars every year for a 5 minute dyno test. Thanks for the info audiomixer.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Yes we have Emission testing in Vegas. It sucks, just under $50 dollars every year for a 5 minute dyno test. Thanks for the info audiomixer.
Bummer...heck I think even CA will do it every other, not yearly...Sorry man.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts