Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have a quick question for you all. Seems like no one sells the regular diesel anymore at all, everyone sells the #2. Has anyone heard that it affects the engine in any way as compared to the regular diesel. I have heard that it doesnt affect performance but it does affect the lubricity, has anyone heard the same thing? Does anyone run any additives when they fill up their tanks that help performance or engine life, i appreciate everyones opinion, thanks:drink

·
Registered
15 Posts
Like Diesel Nut said from what i have learned in school, the #1 winter blend is made with a higher cetane level and lower lubricity for easier winter starting. The #2 is for warmer weather with lower cetane ratings and more lubricity

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks again, I know that the #2 was the regular diesel, but they just changed it(atleast in california) that the sulfer if reduced and the PPM went from like 600 ppm to 15ppm for environmental reasons, so i had heard that since the new diesel is cleaner it affects the lubricity, has anyone heard that as well!

·
Registered
5 Posts
To be on safe side use some kind lubricity additive because I've heard there being ULSD fuel around here at least that is "off spec". I know it looks different from load to load sometimes. I think there is more moisture in it, so your additive might be needed to help with that also.

·
Banned
41 Posts
My understanding is that the new fuel has lower sulphur content and will affect lubrication. I'm not sure how it affects the Duramax 06 and earlier. The 07 has lower hp/torque but is ok with the lower sulpher fuel. Might be a good one to follow up on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i thought the 07 lbz was a bigger engine and had more horsepower than the 06's. The 06 has the 6.0 and the 07 lbz has a 6.6 which is the engine i have. does anyone have a name brand additive thats good, that they would sell in like a pep boys or autozone, i dont want to have to order online every time i need some...thanks

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i thought the 07 lbz was a bigger engine and had more horsepower than the 06's. The 06 has the 6.0 and the 07 lbz has a 6.6 which is the engine i have. does anyone have a name brand additive thats good, that they would sell in like a pep boys or autozone, i dont want to have to order online every time i need some...thanks
your right the 07 duramax is bigger.....the new 07+ lmm 6.6L duramax is rated at 365hp with 660 tqr and the 06 lbz 6.6L duramax was rated at 350hp with 650 tqr,and the duramax is a 6.6L engine and has been since it was built...the gm 6.0L is a gas engine but ford did have a 6.0L diesel and it was replaced by the 6.4L diesel..hope this helps.
guys i checked out the new 6.7L cummins,that thing is unbelievable quiet

·
Banned
41 Posts
Thanks for the correction on the LMM HP/ft.lbs., that's what I get for listening to the sales guy. The one thing I've discovered that several of the sales people I spoke to really don't know s*** from puddin when it comes to the diesel. The only guy who seemed to have the answers was the Fleet salesman.

He also pointed out some interesting information relating to the payload. Using figures for the C/K 20753 New. Gen. Silverado2500 4x4.
GVWR=9200lbs
GAWR Front=4800lbs
GAWR Rear=6084lbs
** However Cargo Weight Rating (displayed in glovebox) is 1561lbs. This figure includes # of occupants (150lbs/person) times the # of designated seat positions. He claims that the CWR figure is the official GM recommended total payload and exceeding that weight may and will void the warranty.

Anyone have a comment on this????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts