Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Thought We Werent Supposed To Use Additives At All?
I Live In Eastern Nc And We Have Low Sulfer Diesel
Is It Ok To Use An Additive And What Kind Should I Use?
I Just Bought My 2006 Cc Lbz Shrt Bed..
Thanks Guys
Phillip

·
Registered
262 Posts
i use the powerstroke cetane booster adn additive it works very well

·
Registered
57 Posts
i have used the Lucas lubricant and it seems to work good, seems the mileage is a tad bit better! I will switch to amsoil once i finish this bottle but i needed something right away, didnt have time to wait for online shipping, you can buy it at your local auto store. not a bad price either, i paid 10 bucks and it treats 100 gallons of fuel...

·
Banned
41 Posts
This additive subject is real interesting and I find it confusing. Been searching the net for the last year since I decided to get a diesel. Heard of folks using kerosene, looking for jet fuel etc. etc. Even went to couple of truckstops and had coffee with big rig drivers.
The most sane advice got so far is to buy my fuel where the big rigs fuel up. Fuel is up to snuff with additives, fresh and less chance of water contamination.
Because of the stop and go urban driving, use best 100% synthetic oil, change filters often with good brands.
If you're going to spend $$ on aftermaket products, get extra coolers for engine and tranny, more filtration for both, cooler intakes and better exhausts. Any personal advice out there???

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
This additive subject is real interesting and I find it confusing. Been searching the net for the last year since I decided to get a diesel. Heard of folks using kerosene, looking for jet fuel etc. etc. Even went to couple of truckstops and had coffee with big rig drivers.
The most sane advice got so far is to buy my fuel where the big rigs fuel up. Fuel is up to snuff with additives, fresh and less chance of water contamination.
Because of the stop and go urban driving, use best 100% synthetic oil, change filters often with good brands.
If you're going to spend $$ on aftermaket products, get extra coolers for engine and tranny, more filtration for both, cooler intakes and better exhausts. Any personal advice out there???
No Kerosene or Jet fuel, unless its JP8. JP8 is very similar to Diesel, and the military uses it in all its Diesel vehicles. The other fuels lack the lubrication your High pressure injection system needs. Good idea to buy fuel from a station that sells a lot of fuel. You don't want to buy at the station that has diesel in an area predominantly loaded with luxury and sports cars. Most areas here in California are ok to buy at, because there are so many diesel trucks around that the tanks get filled often.
I run additives because I spent 6 years working in Oil Refineries as a Millwright. I know what their quality control is like and the people they have working there. I want only the best for my trucks, and at half the price of the other stuff, the Amsoil stuff is a no brainer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not that I am claiming that Stanadyne is the best fuel additive brand around but I found this information interesting. Since I haven't found any other additive site out there that have posted comparisons with other leading conventional oil brands like this. If there are I would like to see them. Follow the link below to view the PDF http://www.stanadyne.com/new/ppt/showfile.asp?id=1295

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Not that I am claiming that Stanadyne is the best fuel additive brand around but I found this information interesting. Since I haven't found any other additive site out there that have posted comparisons with other leading conventional oil brands like this. If there are I would like to see them. Follow the link below to view the PDF http://www.stanadyne.com/new/ppt/showfile.asp?id=1295
Ill throw another vote in for Stanadyne. All there additives are up to date and it seems like they do alot of testing to make sure there additives work well and wont harm any components :cool: http://www.stanadyne.com/new/index.asp

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
41 Posts
I sent off a email to GM Service/Waranty dept. and asked the questions.

-Because of new low sulpher diesel does GM support the use of additives like Stanadyne, Amsoil and others named

-How will the use of these additives affect the waranty

-What is GMs position on the use of 100% synthetics and how do they affect the waranty, Amsiol and Castrol named

Thank you for visiting the GM Canada Website. Please note that your inquiry has been received and you will be receiving a response within 24 business hours.
Answer to be provided in 24 hrs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks cant wait for the answers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i use standaine also what i was looking 4 was it necessary in a 2007 engine? I decided that it can not hurt because the stuff helps 2 stop jelling. I live in up state NY and it gets pretty cold better safe than sorry! Just my 2cents worth!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I also use Standaine, works for me.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The main thing is to give it lubrication. A pretty much any oil will work. some guys use 2 stroke motor oil which is fine. I actually use used oil :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Thought We Werent Supposed To Use Additives At All?
I Live In Eastern Nc And We Have Low Sulfer Diesel
Is It Ok To Use An Additive And What Kind Should I Use?
I Just Bought My 2006 Cc Lbz Shrt Bed..
Thanks Guys
Phillip
I live in NW North Dakota in farm and oil country. The easiest diesel additives to find here are the Power Service products carried by Cenex, Love's, Pilot and Flying J. I use the Diesel Kleen Cetane Boost in the dyed diesel for the tractors. In the cold weather I use the Power Service Winterizer/Antigel and burn #2 diesel without trouble in both the 2020 Duramax and the loader tractors. I have used the dyed diesel in -25F with the Winterizer/Antigel and have never froze up; it has not dropped below -12F this winter so I haven't experienced extreme cold with the Duramax. Power Service also has a Diesel 911 in the event you do freeze up. I stick with #2 year round; I don't like the mileage and power drop in #1 or the P40 crap our Farmer's Union carries.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
You can usually find the same stuff, half the price at farm and fleet stores compared to fueling stations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts