Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2018 6.6L Silverado 2500 HD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and to owning a 2018 l5p and therefore also new to using def. I bought 2 jugs of blue platinum (haven’t dumped them in yet) but red in a few spots that the regular blue and blue platinum is harmful to the newer diesels sensors. Any info on what everyone is running or a link to a forum that has already talked about this would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The Platinum seems to be finicky in some newer Duramaxs. More like GMs sensors are overly sensitive. Ford and Dodge have no real issues running it. I run it in my 19 with no issues. Regular Blue is fine in everything.

·
Registered
2018 6.6L Silverado 2500 HD
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Platinum seems to be finicky in some newer Duramaxs. More like GMs sensors are overly sensitive. Ford and Dodge have no real issues running it. I run it in my 19 with no issues. Regular Blue is fine in everything.
Just to clarify your truck has no issues with the platinum or just regular blue. I don’t wanna give away the two jugs I bought but also don’t want annoying dash messages or worse

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Platinum runs fine in mine. Regular Blue is what most use. Lots of folks here swear by Supertech def but that requires a Walmart visit.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It's the Platinum that I've seen mentioned that causes the most trouble- if it even does (still not sold on it) so I'd go with regular stuff, not platinum.

·
Registered
2018 Silverado 3500 LTZ Z71 L5P CCSB
581 Posts
Sick to blue or supertech. I would ditch the platinum. Chances are you will probably be fine running it, but I have seen some people report problems.

·
Premium Member
2017 GMC sierra,Denali 3500 L5P
803 Posts
after having to pay for an SCR I have used Platinum for two years no issues whatsoever

·
Registered
2022 1500 CCSB Sierra AT4 3.0L I6 Duramax
294 Posts
I have 20k mile on my 2020 and its had supertech, regular Blue, and DEF from pumps at truck stops... never made any difference in use or how the truck runs. Just make sure the date codes are within a few months if you are buying it in a retail store like autozone or walmart.

·
Registered
2018 Silverado 3500 LTZ Z71 L5P CCSB
581 Posts
Does anyone know how to decode the new peak blue def date codes? I picked up a new box at costco and the date code was totally different.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and to owning a 2018 l5p and therefore also new to using def. I bought 2 jugs of blue platinum (haven’t dumped them in yet) but red in a few spots that the regular blue and blue platinum is harmful to the newer diesels sensors. Any info on what everyone is running or a link to a forum that has already talked about this would be appreciated, thanks.
DEF is DEF, it is very tightly controlled and must conform to ISO 22241. No matter what the marketing says it is all the same, no point in buying anything but the most cost effective brand. No matter where you get it, it is all compatable with each other. Also remember that DEF has no impact on the performance of the vehicle, it is a catalyst that gets injected into the exhaust.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Does anyone know how to decode the new peak blue def date codes? I picked up a new box at costco and the date code was totally different.
the date code below worked for the box I bought at my local NAPA store this afternoon... the date seemed reasonable considering they got the palet of boxes in about two weeks ago.

Read manufacturing date for Peak BlueDEF

This is the code on the box or bottle of Peak BlueDEF example: GA211780503

GA = Plant it was manufactured at.

Digits 3 and 4 are the year minus one: 21-1=20

Digits 5,6 and 7 are the month and day of the year: 365-178=187

Digits 8,9,10 and 11 are a badge, ignore them.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You have to make sure you are looking at the correct number sequence. There are a couple that look similar printed on the box, you need to find the one that looks like it was stamped on afterwards, not part of the design printing.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Is there a reason why they can't make it simple & just stamp a date. I've tried decoding some I have & nothing matches up.

Reactions: rbdjr

·
Registered
211 Posts
DEF is 32.5% Urea and water, both of which are very stable. Because DEF is part of the emission system and potentially part of a recall the MFG put lot traceability on the product. Reality is if the container is stored at a reasonable temperature and closed not much can happen to the contents over time. IMHO waaay to much concern is placed on this brand vs another, use by, etc. DEF is DEF no matter what the marketing people say, no matter what they charge, no matter what color it is.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Is there a reason why they can't make it simple & just stamp a date. I've tried decoding some I have & nothing matches up.
I assume the mfr's don't want consumers to readily see the date so you don't pick over the older stuff to get the newer stuff like we do milk at the market. As long as they have a traceable lot number, that's all that matters.... to them.

On another note, about all I use is the generic bulk stuff from the pump at truck stops. I've even used Supertech jugs that sat in my shop for over a year and a half with no issues. I'm considering trying to see how much distilled water I can blend in and get away with it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts