Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How stupid is this? I went into my local Chevy dealership and saw that they are selling diesel exhaust fluid, but you can't yet buy the vehicle that uses it. I would say they should have reversed it and brought the truck out first and then the fluid.

Sorry about quality of the pic, only had my cell with me.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not sure, I never asked. Had other stuff on my mind.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, let's put out a product before there's a call or even a use for it. Makes perfect sense doesn't it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
looks like water to me...

·
Registered
196 Posts
the new fords use that dont know why your chevy dealership has it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 2011 Powerstrokes and Duramaxes need it as part of their new exhaust system. There will be a separate tank to fill up on these trucks for the urea. The exhaust fluid is used in conjunction with a DPF to meet the 2010 standards for nox emissions as mandated by Big Brother, The EPA.

·
Registered
868 Posts
spartan already has tuning for the fords to delete that crap so i dont think the efi tuners will be to far behind them

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
More Info....................
Clean Diesel Exhaust Chemistry - TechConnect Online News Blog
Diesel Exhaust Fluid
DEF is a colorless, clear solution of water and urea that has 32.5% (+/- 0.7%) of urea by weight.

DEF also is referred to by other names such as AdBlue, ClearBlue, Urea, and Aus32 (Aqueous Urea Solution).

The recommended temperature for storing DEF is between 12°F - 86°F (-11°C - 30°C). To prevent DEF decomposition, it should not be transported or stored at temperatures above 77°F (25°C). The shelf life of DEF depends on storage temperature and exposure to sunlight. At a constant ambient storage temperature of 50°F, DEF may have a minimum shelf life of 36 months. But at a constant ambient storage temperature of 86°F, it may have a minimum shelf life of only 12 months. DEF also freezes below 12°F, but it may be reused once it thaws.
Before using DEF, be sure to check every batch of fluid for potential evaporation.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Another name is AdBlue,
DEF also is referred to by other names such as AdBlue, ClearBlue, Urea, and Aus32 (Aqueous Urea Solution).
I am glad I have an older Duramax..........

QUOTE....
Around 16,000 miles, our GL displayed a warning light saying that it was running low on AdBlue. This urea-based additive is necessary to keep the turbodiesel emissions-compliant; it is injected into the exhaust tract to break down smog-producing nitrogen oxide into nitrogen in a catalytic converter.

Normally the AdBlue would have been topped off by the dealer at a regular oil change. But with 80+ cars here each year, and multiple lifts and mechanics, it would be a needless hassle and expense to take every car to the dealer to change the oil. Since we had changed our GL’s oil ourselves, we wound up making a trip to the dealer to get AdBlue added. (We also had to get a shorted-out taillight repaired under warranty, plus get a software update and recall addressed.)

The total bill just for adding AdBlue? A stunning $316.99. We were down to 18% full on the additive at 16,566 miles. It took 7.5 gallons to fill the tank, costing an eye-opening $241.50 for the fluid alone. The labor to add the fluid plus tax accounted for the rest. None of this was covered by the warranty.

I did the math with 18% left it will cost $0.19 more a gallon to pleases the government vs regular fillup.

Consumer Reports Cars Blog: Mercedes-Benz GL320 BlueTec--Feeling a bit AdBlue over spending a lot of green

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
It’s called urea. Both Urea and ammonia are used in power plants all over the country to reduce NOx. There is a catalyst in the exhaust of the new trucks that when urea is injected will remove NOx.

You guys freak out every time something comes out that is different. When catalytic converters came out on gas vehicles and mileage went down on those models for a short period but, then the auto industry got the mileage back up with the cars having exceeded the previous mileage numbers while omitted less emissions…a good thing! I am willing to bet that 2011 diesels with all the emissions will rival LB7 for mileage numbers. My 2009 LMM already gets close to what my LB7 got, but it does it much cleaner. My 2009 LMM gets 15+city and 18+highway. The numbers GM gave in an article had the LML getting close to 20mpg on the highway. Now, when they come out we will see but, I bet the mileage numbers will exceed my 2009 LMM.

·
Registered
180 Posts
if a benz costs this much i wonder wut a d-max would cost :help

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Freezes below 12*F that sucks. Are they gonna make some kinda anti-freeze for it?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
It’s called urea. Both Urea and ammonia are used in power plants all over the country to reduce NOx. There is a catalyst in the exhaust of the new trucks that when urea is injected will remove NOx.

You guys freak out every time something comes out that is different. When catalytic converters came out on gas vehicles and mileage went down on those models for a short period but, then the auto industry got the mileage back up with the cars having exceeded the previous mileage numbers while omitted less emissions…a good thing! I am willing to bet that 2011 diesels with all the emissions will rival LB7 for mileage numbers. My 2009 LMM already gets close to what my LB7 got, but it does it much cleaner. My 2009 LMM gets 15+city and 18+highway. The numbers GM gave in an article had the LML getting close to 20mpg on the highway. Now, when they come out we will see but, I bet the mileage numbers will exceed my 2009 LMM.

Not freaking out, I'm just showing facts. Maybe the difference will pay for itself,if so that is great. Right now nobody has a truck to test to the cost differential. It may be a good thing ,it may not be a good thing. Don't shout until YOU know the facts, you may be right, I may be wrong...I am just showing current information on the new emmisions . You don't have a right to be mad at me ,just posting info. Hey, I hope you are right for our economy for sure. BTW , You work for the gov't ?

·
The Good Son!
1,966 Posts
I'm not mad nor am I SHOUTING at anybody, sorry you took it that way!:drink

I do know the facts as I work in an industry that uses this technology. Anyway, no big deal just stating some facts about how urea is used and what it is used for.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts