21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Opti-Lube XL And/Or Opti-Lube XPD with every fill up

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ive been using hot shot secrets for awhile now. Big fan of their stuff. Has cleared up some issues for me and a few other guys i know. Before that ran optilube
I’m new to the diesel world but I’ve been running Hot Shot secret. Winter and summer blend every single tank (I don’t drive it daily )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
There are two reasons you might want to use an additive, cold flow improvement and extra lubricity for pumps and injectors. All of the additives talk about cetane improvement like it was going to make the engine run better. Cetane of diesel fuel is nothing like octane in gasoline, it is a measure of how fast the fuel burns and faster is not always better when it comes to diesel. I was involved in developing some bio-diesel and we spent quite a bit of time studying different additives for diesel and bio-diesel. IMHO most are next to useless, some work OK on hydrocarbon fuel, none work on bio-diesel as the chemistry is completely different. All are really expensive and are generally unnecessary, and a waste of money. Most good diesel retailers treat their fuel for lubricity and cold weather, I just make sure I buy from them and save the $$. The best measure of a good diesel fuel station is where the local ambulances buy their fuel, normally they do testing to assure best performance and reliability in fact often have a special requirement of the station for treatment.
Just my 2c from a lot of testing and development work based on hard data.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Should I be using a diesel fuel additive? What is everybody using?
I've used about everything popular at one time or another. Can't really tell the difference in any of it, but I still use something at every top off or fill up. I use Silver Bottle Power Service in the summer, White bottle in the winter, and have a bottle of 911 in my toolbox. Recently, I tried Lucas and liked it, it seemed like it had more viscosity than power service. It's hard to say if a diesel fuel additive does any good or not, but I use it. In the winter, here, when it's going to be 10 degrees or less, you better be running something or you are asking for trouble. When it gets that cold, I double up the dose of White Bottle Power Service. I thought the regular dose would cut it, but on one 10 degree day, at a stoplight, the ol L5P started to act like it was going to die. I pulled over and gave it another dose of the White bottle and never had another problem.

I use Power Service Products because they are available at every gas station and truckstop anywhere in the USA that I have been. It smells good, tastes good and the Heavy Chevy seems to like it.

WC

·
Registered
361 Posts
There are two reasons you might want to use an additive, cold flow improvement and extra lubricity for pumps and injectors. All of the additives talk about cetane improvement like it was going to make the engine run better. Cetane of diesel fuel is nothing like octane in gasoline, it is a measure of how fast the fuel burns and faster is not always better when it comes to diesel. I was involved in developing some bio-diesel and we spent quite a bit of time studying different additives for diesel and bio-diesel. IMHO most are next to useless, some work OK on hydrocarbon fuel, none work on bio-diesel as the chemistry is completely different. All are really expensive and are generally unnecessary, and a waste of money. Most good diesel retailers treat their fuel for lubricity and cold weather, I just make sure I buy from them and save the $$. The best measure of a good diesel fuel station is where the local ambulances buy their fuel, normally they do testing to assure best performance and reliability in fact often have a special requirement of the station for treatment.
Just my 2c from a lot of testing and development work based on hard data.
I mostly agree. I think there's a lot of hype around fuel additives and everybody latches onto one and thinks it's the best. The lubricity study a few years ago basically summed it up that biodiesel is far superior to any additive in terms of pure lubricity and protection of today's high pressure fuel systems. So if you're running mostly bio, that leaves performance and fuel gelling as about the only other reasons to run an additive.
I've had to run some white bottle PS in extremely cold weather before but typically if you buy your fuel in that area, mainly up north, it will already be well treated at the pump.
So that leaves performance. I don't have any empirical data to base this on so it's mainly just my seat of the pants feel but it definitely seems like I've seen a fuel mileage bump when I've ran an additive with cetane boost. Maybe it's just been more noticeable when I've added it to some lower quality fuel, not sure. But when a $10 jug of PS treats 250 gallons of fuel, it doesn't take much improvement to get the payback.
I've definitely noticed it quieting my engine down at times when I've had to buy questionable fuel as well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
BG #23032 dfc plus for 32oz worth, then optilube xpd for 32oz.

·
Registered
44 Posts
BG #23032 dfc plus for 32oz worth, then optilube xpd for 32oz.
You running all that per tank. I had been running the premium XPD level which would be 18 oz, but I'm going to go 9 oz XPD, 4 oz XL , and 4 oz boost next tank.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts