Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally took a trip with my travel trailer with my new truck that has 3700 miles on it. It Pulled really well, but we started noticing a strong diesel smell inside of the cab every time we came to a complete stop. I have noticed this sometimes when I am not pulling anything, but the smell is not as bad. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem? or if there is a fix for this?

· Registered
2006 LBZ, 2009 LML, 2022 L5P. 1993 6.5 parked in the shed.
1,656 Posts
Does it smell like raw fuel or is it exhaust smell?

· Registered
2006 LBZ, 2009 LML, 2022 L5P. 1993 6.5 parked in the shed.
1,656 Posts
Do you see any stains on the ground after you park it? Raw fuel smell is almost always a leak.......and in your case very much a warranty repair I'd want to get into the dealer ASAP.

· Registered
7,490 Posts
they found a High Pressure Fuel hose that was leaking.
It would be good if you could tell us which line, where it is, in case others have a similar problem.

· Registered
1 Posts
Bought a 2023 3 weeks ago. Drove it 2 weeks and one day fuel was pouring out the bottom from back of motor drivers side. Towed to the dealer and it's been there 8 days without them looking at it. Needless to say I'm pissed.

· Registered
7,490 Posts
You should be, and I would be also. Shameful service by that dealer. Keep us informed.

· Registered
2 Posts
I just took mine up north and every time we stopped it smelled like burning exhaust. I remember smelling this faintly on my 19 duramax once in a while but it was always outside. never in the truck and for sure never so strong... Mine only had 500 miles on it.

· Registered
2023 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
4 Posts
My 2023 Duramax fills the bed full of diesel smell, I have a Diamondback cover on my truck and the diesel smell will knock your head off when I open the bed cover. This is my 3rd Duramax and I’ve had bed covers on each of them…never an issue until now. I can smell diesel anytime I get close to the back half of the truck. I’ve looked for drips etc. I smell it when I enter then cab sometimes especially if the truck has been idling. It’s headed to dealer this week. My neighbors probably think I’m half dog because I’m constantly sniffing around my truck!

· Registered
2 Posts
I just took mine up north and every time we stopped it smelled like burning exhaust. I remember smelling this faintly on my 19 duramax once in a while but it was always outside. never in the truck and for sure never so strong... Mine only had 500 miles on it.
Went away for a little bit, but now it’s back. seemingly the emissions regen, but should I be smelling this so strongly in my truck. $80k How often do these things regenerate like that? I’ve only got 1,800 miles on it

· Registered
2022 GMC 3500 CCLB SRW Denali
288 Posts
It’s hard to say without being there to smell it. When I am stopped and in regen I can definitely smell it in the cab but it’s faint and not overwhelming at all.

It depends on how you use the truck. If you are towing and using the truck like it’s designed to be used you should go about 800 miles between regens. If you daily drive it on short trips and in city/lower speeds you could regen as soon as 300-350.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts