Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all thanks for the how to's. I have a 2002 dura-max with 268000 miles on her. GM had changed the injectors twice (98000 and 156000) N/C but i did it just a couple of weeks ago with the info posted here. Now I'm still getting diesel in the oil!!! Oil pressure stays in the 60 to 80 range for a couple weeks than drops down to 20 at idle and 40 at cruise speed.

My question is what the heck could be causing this!! I have no loss of power and no smoke.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a test or way to see which injector is bad? A friend said the truck needs a major tear down as he thinks it's rings. When I did the injectors passenger side boots and cups were clean. Drivers side I had to replace 3 cups. I cleaned everything up real good. Also, I replaced the fuel pump.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
If you dont have efi or tech 2 then take it to the dealer and they will give you your balance rates.

·
Vendor
2,279 Posts
The balance rates will not help.

You need to start the engine with the valve covers removed, and the FPR unplugged so the pressure goes all the way up, then look for a leak.

It is most likely a return line seal leaking since you just changed the injectors, but there is a chance that one of the new ones is bad.

·
Registered
619 Posts
First of all thanks for the how to's. I have a 2002 dura-max with 268000 miles on her. GM had changed the injectors twice (98000 and 156000) N/C but i did it just a couple of weeks ago with the info posted here. Now I'm still getting diesel in the oil!!! Oil pressure stays in the 60 to 80 range for a couple weeks than drops down to 20 at idle and 40 at cruise speed.

My question is what the heck could be causing this!! I have no loss of power and no smoke.

Thanks
Im getting the same oil pressure readings with mine.They say 20 at a idle is normal.When Im running down the road 40-45 is all.I have no fuel in my oil whatsoever,Shes loosening up from the mileage.The more miles the less pressure you'll get.They told me were in sec's far as the oil pressure goes.When I first start the truck cold then I get around 50-60 but as it gets warmer the oil pressure drops back.Oil is getting thinner in the pan from the heat.As long as it dos,nt drop below these marks we should be fine unless you have diesel in the oil.Check it every day,watch the oil level very carefully.Do a papertowel test on it & it'll tell you if theres fuel in the oil.There will be a ring around the spot of oil on the towel.Also put your tongue on the stick & see if it taste like Diesel or oil.Should be dry from the full mark up the stick to the ball on the stick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Diesel in my oil

OK so I've got a bad injector or two and I found out the hard way after checking my oil and it being way over filled about 2.5 gallons over after draining it and changing it so I could get it home apparently I had driven it for a while with diesel in my crank case I had no way of know considering I had no loss of power nor did I have any white smoke hell it don't even roll a lot of coal when I get on it but that brings me to my question have I done permanant damage to my truck because that's my biggest worry at this point

·
Registered
138 Posts
No major damage is done from the diesel in the oil. Just be very cautios and get it fixed !
I would have to disagree, fuel in the oil thins your oil and changes every aspect of your oil. You can easily spin a bearing and LB7's are known for loosing cam and crank bearings due to excessive wear from fuel being in the oil bc of the notorious injector issues. It may not happen immediately but it is not something you should put off on repairs unless you are looking forward to a complete engine overhaul. When I took my routine oil sample I found I had 13% fuel delusion, I had lost almost 10psi of oil pressure, now imagine what the lubricity would be with 2 1/2 gallons of oil and 2 gallons of diesel fuel.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
It really depends how long the truck was ran with that much fuel in the oil. That will be the determining factor.

But to be realistic and logical, if its running fine now and has normal oil pressure, then odds are that the motor is just fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts