·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tried that deisel kleen didnt notice a darn difference

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
What kind of difference were you expecting? If you were looking for a MPG difference, you won't really notice one unless it has Cetain in it....which only helps by like .1%.... It's mainly made for cleaning injectors, keeping fuel from gelling, and lubrication...

·
Registered
250 Posts
they claim there is a big gain in power and mpg, but i havnt seen it. I use it for the reasons that Nouseforaname mentioned. Lubercation, cleaning and gelling

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i want more mpg i am getting 13.5 and thats highway and in town i went 84 miles today and i used 1 /4 tank of fuel thats horrible i dont think 295 make that big of mpg loss

·
Registered
14 Posts
maybe you should take your foot out of it a little. I pull 5000 lbs around town all day long and get 15 mpg but I don't keep my foot in it either.

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
I always have my foot in it and get 15mpg with a BIG tune.

Did you notice that the engine ran smoother and queiter

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think that you should give it a few tank fulls of fuel and diesel kleen to give it a fair test, it may be working just needs to clean out the fuel system more than 84 miles of use.

My experience with diesel kleen - gray bottle is used for summer and I have noted that in my truck it runs quieter than before and it is real easy to get from walmart. I also noted that my mpg has improved can not be sure if it has improved due break in of the engine or the diesel kleen improved the mileage. I would use the standyne(this is the stuff GM says is ok to use) if I could find it near my house. I am real worried about my my pump and injecters not getting the lube it neads from just the fuel alone.

When should I start using the white bottle stuff (winter formula) that prevents the gelling of the fuel?
In my area days in the teens at night during winters here with highs in the mid 30's or can I just keep using the gray bottle stuff?

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
i want more mpg i am getting 13.5 and thats highway and in town i went 84 miles today and i used 1 /4 tank of fuel thats horrible i dont think 295 make that big of mpg loss
Get you some Power Service with Cetane boost..There are a few kinds,so be sure to get the right one..I use 3 times as much as the bottle says,but I only do that once in a while.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use the diesel kleen now. I don't know if I can see a difference or not. It's what I don't see that I use it for. I just want more upper cylinder lubricant than this new ULSD has in it. I used to use a combination of lucas oil and marvel mystery oil..that was back when I owned a dodge cummins and I read about it on a cummins forum. Lately I ran across an onlin study that states that lucas in nearly worthless for upper cylinder and marvels has a negative effect. Power service diesel kleen did ok in the study and it is readily available so why not use it. I have included the link to the study for anyone who wants to see. Suprisingly bio diesel used in a ration with ulsd was the best thing going in this study.

D

http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
I'm curious as to what you consider highway miles. Highway miles to me is going 60-70MPH on an interstate for the entire time you are calculating your mileage. Where I live at, with the setup you have being bone stock and 295's.....13.5 would be dead on normal. If you are doing any hills, stop and gos', shutting off your truck a lot....that's about right. If you went to a 265 your mileage would up to about 15.5-16....

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
theyre horrible

Why wasent the "Red Line Diesel Catalyst" tested??
redline sucks, it gave my truck a decrease of 2mpg. it really didnt help at all, it made my truck average around 12-13 mpg, then i switched to CRC diesel treatment and it made my truck average to 15-16 mpg. However i am using the marvel mystery diesel supplement (it had a chevy on it!) and didnt notice any increase in mpg. but it feels stronger than it did before. the next thing i will put in is the power service with the cetane booster. im just going through many different brands until i find one that works the best. the best that worked so far was the CRC diesel treatment. the only ones i havent done yet are AMSoil, powerservice, and stanadyne.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanx in puttin 265 on it next

·
7,336 Posts
Few tips I learned,by payin for them of course!!

The 295's along with that 5 speed will do it,cause your 70-75 hwy cruise rpm is above 2,000 right??Also use the cruise control as much as possible,that helps a lot,beleive it or not...
You need a tuner,get the 295's off.And did you know,that for every 1 mph over 65 you do,you lose 3% mpg??Multiply times 7,which equals 72mph,then you see how you are losing 21% mpg at cruise rate??Something to ponder on bud!!Get a programmer also,there is a lot of mpg potential in a Dmax when you add a lil fuel/timing..The hotter a diesel runs[within reason]the more efficient it is.I have best efficiency when my H2O temp is on 190-194*,oh,IAT's under 130 can help a REAL lot also,free up the intake,and get more fresh,cool air under that hood.......my 2 cents..Letting it idle more than 4-5 minutes upon shutdown WILL decrease your AVERAGE mpg a bit also...I was/am getting 22 highway,then parked,idled 45 minutes,and when I got back in truck,DIC read 7.8 mpg,so it does make a diff...Makin sure the front end of truck is a tad lower MAY help a bit also.Keep it outta Tow/Haul and under 2,000rpm's,over 2k rpm's it will use up more fuel too..

I'm curious as to what you consider highway miles. Highway miles to me is going 60-70MPH on an interstate for the entire time you are calculating your mileage. Where I live at, with the setup you have being bone stock and 295's.....13.5 would be dead on normal. If you are doing any hills, stop and gos', shutting off your truck a lot....that's about right. If you went to a 265 your mileage would up to about 15.5-16....
NoUse...Keep in mind,he has a 5 speed also,so we got that extra gearing to help us a bit..[LBZ's have lower comp ratio,IIRC,another factor there]:cool:
13.5 can be broken as you said with 265's or [[ ...285's,but I'd say only with added power...]]A good,reliable tuner will help him out a good bit also...

IMO,good mpg tuners:
EFI Live,PPE,Diablo,Hypertech,Superchips and Quadzilla...
Not best mpg tuners: Bullydog,Edge,any module/chip that you have to ''splice'' in....{do not use them,ZPERIOD!!}all they do is fool the MAF and IAT sensors,then codes galore from then on....Hope that helps ya buddy!!:drink

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
We race dirtbikes out in the So Calif deserts. That means many friends are towing trailers to get to and from the races. I have not yet had one person that tried the Amsoil Diesel Concetrate not gain any less than 1 mpg. That is on trucks where there has not been any kind of additive used for lubricity of the injectors in the last 25,000 miles.

·
7,336 Posts
Sounds good on here,have you used it and saw at LEAST a 1 mpg increase??Not pickin,I'm really serious.I have /do use Stanadyne,Lucas,Opti-Lube and those seem to work decent.I will say that an overtreat of any diesel additive can actually drop the mpg's....I have tested this myself:drink

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Sounds good on here,have you used it and saw at LEAST a 1 mpg increase??Not pickin,I'm really serious.I have /do use Stanadyne,Lucas,Opti-Lube and those seem to work decent.I will say that an overtreat of any diesel additive can actually drop the mpg's....I have tested this myself:drink
Yes I use it every 4000 miles and I picked up just over 1mpg. Its pretty cheap too. Comes in 16oz bottle and a bottle will treat two tanks with my 34 gal tank. I gave a bottle to a friend to try in his cummings and he bought a case of it after that. I have had good luck with it.

·
7,336 Posts
Yes I use it every 4000 miles and I picked up just over 1mpg. Its pretty cheap too. Comes in 16oz bottle and a bottle will treat two tanks with my 34 gal tank. I gave a bottle to a friend to try in his cummings and he bought a case of it after that. I have had good luck with it.
Cool,tell me where to buy it online,and for cheap!!:rof

1 - 20 of 28 Posts