Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon folks,
Just bought a 2015 Chevy Duramax 6.6L and trying to learn as much as I can about it. Not a gear head at all, but trying to build up some basic competence.
Plan to pull our 30' travel trailer cross country next year, and would like to be able to at least be able to do some initial troubleshooting if we do have any issues, and obviously make sure I'm doing everything possible to avoid preventable issues.
Would greatly appreciate any tips, previous threads, youtube channels, websites, etc you may have.
Thanks,

Cam Smith

·
Registered
9 Posts
First get an Edge CTS3 monitor. with this you can trouble shoot any engine codes as well as monitor any temps, pressures, etc…. As far as YouTube channels I recommend truckmaster, jwmontoya. There are plenty more out there but for you just getting started in this you will come across plenty more. Any upgrades already done to the truck?

·
Super Moderator
1,976 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I would definitely run a fuel additive to help with lubricity for the CP4 high pressure fuel pump. I have airbags on my 2007 to help with the rear end "squat". I tow a 38' travel trailer with a 1100# tongue weight. Do you have a 2500 or 3500?

As Berodgers suggests, I would install an Edge Insight CTS3...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First get an Edge CTS3 monitor. with this you can trouble shoot any engine codes as well as monitor any temps, pressures, etc…. As far as YouTube channels I recommend truckmaster, jwmontoya. There are plenty more out there but for you just getting started in this you will come across plenty more. Any upgrades already done to the truck?
Thanks @Berodgers - No upgrades yet. She's pretty much stock, but it's a High Country, so I can't complain. Will definitely get the monitor on order as suggested. 👍

·
Registered
9 Posts
How many miles? I would highly recommend doing CP3 conversion. They says around the 100k mark the factory CP4 will crap the bed. Once that happens you will need to replace everything fuel related. With that said when I purchased my LML it was already done and I’m just now hitting 100k. Some more veterans on here my have better insight but I was told this a definite must do when doing upgrades. Just do some research and you will see what I’m talking about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum! I would definitely run a fuel additive to help with lubricity for the CP4 high pressure fuel pump. I have airbags on my 2007 to help with the rear end "squat". I tow a 38' travel trailer with a 1100# tongue weight. Do you have a 2500 or 3500?

As Berodgers suggests, I would install an Edge Insight CTS3...
@BoiseRob - thanks for the kind welcome! Any particular additives you like?
I have yet to hook up the travel trailer to the new truck, but heading to a campsite in town tomorrow, so excited to see how she handles it.
I've got the 2500 LML. Big change from the 6.2L GMC Sierra I upgraded from!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many miles? I would highly recommend doing CP3 conversion. They says around the 100k mark the factory CP4 will crap the bed. Once that happens you will need to replace everything fuel related. With that said when I purchased my LML it was already done and I’m just now hitting 100k. Some more veterans on here my have better insight but I was told this a definite must do when doing upgrades. Just do some research and you will see what I’m talking about.
@Berodgers I'm just under 80k right now, so I'll add that to my list of considerations for near future upgrades/maintenance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@BoiseRob - thanks for the kind welcome! Any particular additives you like?
I have yet to hook up the travel trailer to the new truck, but heading to a campsite in town tomorrow, so excited to see how she handles it.
I've got the 2500 LML. Big change from the 6.2L GMC Sierra I upgraded from!
I run hot shots EDT. I do 2 doses every full fill up.

·
Registered
2022 2500HD High Country
1,090 Posts
And I run Optilube Summer, 1oz/10gal, keeps the engine much quieter than when I don't have it in the tank and isn't too expensive to use on every fill up.

·
Super Moderator
1,976 Posts
csm... you'll get a hundred different answers when it come to fuel additives. I stick with one used by knowledgeable OTR truckers who swear by Schaeffer products. I've been using Schaeffer lubes in all my vehicles since 1994.
FYI... Schaeffer Manufacturing is the oldest petroleum lubricant company in the country and was founded in 1839...

·
Registered
2015.5 Chevy 2500HD LML Duramax LTZ Z71
24 Posts
Truckmaster on youtube. He has the same engine/truck. Shares all his struggles and lessons learned

Reactions: Ron505 and BoiseRob

·
Registered
2015 Sierra 2500HD Denali CCSB 4x4; FASS Lift Pump; Banks CAI $ Monster exhaust
25 Posts
Truckmaster on youtube. He has the same engine/truck. Shares all his struggles and lessons learned
I think Truckmaster's is an L5P '17 or '18. Whole new platform.

·
Registered
2015 Sierra 2500HD Denali CCSB 4x4; FASS Lift Pump; Banks CAI $ Monster exhaust
25 Posts
TM has older videos with good information on Duramax's.
Yeah, he does have some good videos, especially for the "modified" ;) crowd. I don't believe he has much on the LML Duramax though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts