Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about 3 months ago bought a 2007.5 3500HD LTZ. 4x4 SRW
Has about 145000 baby miles on it

It's my first diesel and my first major vehicle investment.
Prior, my daily driver was a 98 chevy K1500 (still have her, she's just not exactly road ready)

75% of my driving is stop and go suburbs
I bought the truck to increase my tow capacity so that I can trailer horses.
I have no intention of racing it or anything crazy. Need to get some good mud tires for hunting season, and would like to increase my mpg without having to worry about emissions police and without spending $800 on a programmer/tuner.

I haven't been getting much work lately so all my projects are slow goings, I am trying to get all maintenance done before winter, then other projects may begin.

Planned projects:

Leveling Kit
Upgrade Shocks
Add Toolbox w/ battery bank (Will make a thread for this one:thumb)
Finally Mount CB
Install Gun locker
Install Brake Controller
EGR delete possibly(hate how dirty my oil is)

...More to come

Other than that love the forums have been reading here since before I bought the truck, so finally decided to join.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Welcome to the forum

- Adam

·
Registered
772 Posts
Welcome! Some bigger tires would help the look of the truck :)

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy that hoss of a truck you now own!

As far as the mpg's go, I would recommend grabbing at least doing an egr block, if not delete like you were talking about, pcv reroute (more piece of mind than anything, once you reroute one truck you will feel different about it for the rest of your life haha), and an exhaust/tuner. I'm a big advocate of EFI live, and the guys at ATP really helped me out. They now offer quite a few different options as far as middle priced tuning. Definitely worth checking out in my book. However, if you feel it is still un needed, there is no reason why you can't pick up a used PPE programmer for an increase in mileage as well, since you aren't planning an extreme future performance wise. I've dealt with some of PPE's tuners before and have been relatively impressed for them being a canned tuner.
Just my 0.02 :thumb

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy that hoss of a truck you now own!

As far as the mpg's go, I would recommend grabbing at least doing an egr block, if not delete like you were talking about, pcv reroute (more piece of mind than anything, once you reroute one truck you will feel different about it for the rest of your life haha), and an exhaust/tuner. I'm a big advocate of EFI live, and the guys at ATP really helped me out. They now offer quite a few different options as far as middle priced tuning. Definitely worth checking out in my book. However, if you feel it is still un needed, there is no reason why you can't pick up a used PPE programmer for an increase in mileage as well, since you aren't planning an extreme future performance wise. I've dealt with some of PPE's tuners before and have been relatively impressed for them being a canned tuner.
Just my 0.02 :thumb
Was looking into the pcv reroute, don't really understand how that works/ why it works.
All you're doing is splitting the send and routing half of it to nowhere?

If I'm not mistaken an egr blocker plate will throw codes which will have to be programmed out, or I would have to spend big $$ to buy a tuner correct?
No way for a backyard mechanic like me to do it without having a check engine light?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Welcome to the DF!

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Was looking into the pcv reroute, don't really understand how that works/ why it works.
All you're doing is splitting the send and routing half of it to nowhere?

If I'm not mistaken an egr blocker plate will throw codes which will have to be programmed out, or I would have to spend big $$ to buy a tuner correct?
No way for a backyard mechanic like me to do it without having a check engine light?
You're routing all of it to elsewhere. Basically the crankcase is pressurized, and for emissions purposes it is routed back in to your engine, through your mouthpiece. Through a siphon effect it will end up pulling oil and grime through the hose and inject it in to your turbo. Not a lot, so don't get a garden hose idea here, but enough to grime up your turbo and engine. It's seriously nasty. If you're like me you can do it yourself by buying the plates from PPE, and then buying your own tubing through lowes, home depot, auto zone etc. Like i said, once you do one you'll never not do it, cause of what you find.

And if you want to just install a blocker plate you can also get a finger stick, which is the way to wire around the ecm to trick it instead of using a tuner. Relatively cheap option, like 40 bucks if i remember right, but it's been a while since i did it to mine. That will eliminate your CEL from blocking it :drink

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're routing all of it to elsewhere. Basically the crankcase is pressurized, and for emissions purposes it is routed back in to your engine, through your mouthpiece. Through a siphon effect it will end up pulling oil and grime through the hose and inject it in to your turbo. Not a lot, so don't get a garden hose idea here, but enough to grime up your turbo and engine. It's seriously nasty. If you're like me you can do it yourself by buying the plates from PPE, and then buying your own tubing through lowes, home depot, auto zone etc. Like i said, once you do one you'll never not do it, cause of what you find.

And if you want to just install a blocker plate you can also get a finger stick, which is the way to wire around the ecm to trick it instead of using a tuner. Relatively cheap option, like 40 bucks if i remember right, but it's been a while since i did it to mine. That will eliminate your CEL from blocking it :drink
Heard rumors the firesticks didn't work on LMM's but I will find the appropriate thread when I'm ready to do it. Will also look into the pcv reroute.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts