Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for tech. advice or interest in the help of building a duramax for short course off road racing in a pro-2 chassis.

Truck currently weights 4100lbs. w/ small block chevy and powerglide. I was told the duramax and allison weight aprrox 350 lbs. more than a bbc and a 400. Any truth?

Would like to get 800+ ftlbs and need to be able to spool up quickly, we are drag racing from corner to corner, not to many long straights to wait for spol up. Cannot use N.O.S. or any other power adder for help. They are already frowning on the turbo! But they said build it!

Any commets at all are welcome!

Hinman Motorsports

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
getting the power and all thats will be easy but i think the duramax alone weighs in the neighborhood of 700 pounds and then the allison weighs roughly 350 pounds,someone correct me if i'm wrong but i do know my #'s are close but i'm not quite sure if there right on..for your Duramax i would go with the 3th generation Duramax witch is known as the LBZ Duramax along with the EFI Live as for the turbo Restoring the layer structure... Complete 40 Series Turbo Install Kit with GT40R Turbo [Turbopedestal40kit_withTurbo] - $3,995.00 : Pacific Performance Engineering, Diesel Performance Technolgies but i think your ulimate set up would be a Twin Turbo the reason i say that have a smaller turbo thats spools quick untill your big boy spools for your big boost..you might want to check this out Banks Sidewinder D-Max Type-R | Tube-framed, roadracing pickup | General Motors Duramax but i wouldn't use there tuning for my diesel or any other diesel for that matter..hope this anwser some of your ?'s..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any dyno numbers on the 05' LLY? I wnat to acheave 850+ ft lbs and still be reliable enough to race it.

No need for exhaust, just going to plumb the exhaust up and out the back of the cab. That way if too much smoke is an issue then maybe they will excuse it for going up and away...lol..

Can you give me any idea what is maximum rpm range, and best operating rpm range. The motor will only be at max rpm during up shifts. Guess...8+ upshifts per lap, 12 laps.

Any aftermarket shifters for the allison? (art carr?....ect.)

Is GM'S warranty still the same? As long as the motor is not opened up the warranty is good?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
with efi live or PPE HOT ET 2 $800 and a good fuel system 500rwhp and 990rwtqr is quite easy just a tad bit expensive due to the fact you have to do a bigger tranny such as a Stage IV $4k from Suncoast along with their 1057 TC and for your fuel system go with duel Kenedy Lift pumps $400 and a FRSV from Kenedy or PPE $10..ps i dynoed my 06 LBZ and the only mods are a PPE HOT ET 2 and a exhaust and i got 420rwhp and 760rwtqr with the stock tranny..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted to use an allison trans from the start. But the duramax makes more then enough power to turn a 3-speed trans. instead. Tere is less overall weight and alot less rotating weight. Still have the same final drive ratio (or close). Just hope it can stand up.

Figuring on using a 3.70 or 3.90 rear gear with a 35" tall tire, need a few more calculations to make sure. Top speed should not exceed 120 mph. Just need to be fast from corner to corner!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
the resean most trannys don't hold up to a diesel is they have tons of toqrue verse hp,the LLY duramax is a good diesel but you'll need to do a better cooling system to keep it from getting to hot..as far as gears and high hp call these guys for some ideas and things you need to make it happen Crankitupdiesel.com Restoring the layer structure... http://www.kennedydiesel.com/ keep us posted and pics would be nice..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see it says you crashed the 05" not good to hear! By the way,,,are you looking to part it out? Looking for one of those!

Cooling should not be an issue, have two aluminum radiators now and the truck has only run 150 deg, just need to fit the intercooler and we should be good.

The trans should be ok cause we are on dirt and it should be able to blow the tires off of it at any given time.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
we had been thinking of putting the same engine and driveline in a older chevy truck or a GM muslce car from the 60's or 70's but after some serious debating we decided just to fix the beast up to it's original look...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts