Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my 2007 new body style Silverado LMM Duramax diesel but with the A/C on and the "Fresh" air intake selected I get a diesel smell throughout the crew cab whenever I am at a standstill. Anybody know the cause and a cure? My dealer hasn't yet found the problem but agrees that I should not be smelling diesel.
Thanks,
JimG

·
Registered
38 Posts
Diesel smell from fuel or from exhaust? I stood behind a new duramax like 5 ft from the tail pipe and didn't smell anything when the engine was started. On our 05 if a door is open and the engine running we get diesel fumes if the wind blows just right. chevman

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Diesel smell in cab (crewcab) when A/C is running, "Fresh" air is selected, and truck is at a standstill such as waiting at a traffic light. Chevyman asks if it is a fuel or exhaust smell. It doesn't seem to smell like fresh diesel fuel but rather like diesel exhaust. It is coming in the cab through the dashboard vents and doesn't smell when the truck is moving.
Thx,

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also would notice a diesel smell in my truck sitting at lights. mine was only noticable with the windows down nothing through vents. i put my silverline turbo back on friday and havent noticed it since coincedence maybee but it seems to be gone.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's normal to smell exhaust. I turn the recycler on and don't worry about it. One of the joys of driving a diesel.:thumbsup

·
Registered
2016 GMC Denali HD 6.6, Leveled, 35x12.5 Ridge Grapplers on Stock Wheels
90 Posts
i get the smell too, but i dont mind.....diesel exhaust fumes are like the smell of 108 octane fumes!!! :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got my new 2007.5 last Thursday. I didn't smell what you were talking about until today. What concerns me the most is I went from not smelling any diesel smell at all...to my cab being filled with the lovely smell of diesel. Something is not being filtered properly because if it was normal then it would have started on the first day. :mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
My GMC smells

I have a 2006 GMC duramax diesel. I also have a smell coming from my dash vents, a lot when I stop. I have had it into two different dealers to check it out. They can't fix the problem.They don't know what the problem is. I called GMC and complained they told me to take it back to the dealer where I bought it. so I did. they think I am crazy. One dealer thought it might be bacteria in the air conditioning so they deodorized it. It smelled like a hertz rent a car for two weeks. This did not solve the problem.

·
Registered
315 Posts
the beautiful smell of diesel...i wuz gonna take a air freshner and hang it over my exaust 4 a little, then hang it on my rearview...mmm diesel !!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, everybody, I think I may have found the answer. My dealer thinks that the rubber strip that seals the hood at the rear of the hood just in front of the air vents may have been too short. He replaced it with a new strip and stretched it so that it went almost completely across the cowling and more effectively prevents engine fumes from entering the air vents located immediately in front of the windshield just behind the trailing edge of the hood. I can't say that I no longer smell the fumes, but I think it improved the situation immensely.
Jim G

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2004 2500 crewcab Duramax has developed this problem in the last month. At first me and the dealer just thought my wife had an over sensitive nose, but I've now caught the fumes coming straight from the vents into the cab.
The dealer has put the "sniffer" all over the exhaust system and has not found a leak. The only solution suggested is replacing of seals in the exhaust that may leak in certain conditions.
It is intermittent but when you stop or go into reverse is the pattern into which this occurs. I'm curious if anyone has found a solution. I'm not anxious to start a remove and replace expedition on the seals.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
my dads 03 crew cab does the same thing, while driving windows up and all sometimes he'll get the smell of diesel in the cab, we don't know what it is though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts