Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Could be Hummers are dead.... New technology will take over eventually, but I bet Battery life and weight will take this down in flames with it. I bet it will get up and go though the Teslas do oh boy do they.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A 1,000 hp truck with 2 moving parts, under full warranty, is tough not to be interested in......

·
Premium Member
3,242 Posts
Never catch on, who wants a truck you can't delete????

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
Never catch on, who wants a truck you can't delete????
Id LOVE one, but that would mean all the emissions crap was not on it to begin with. >:)

But " Diesels are dead", that is like saying "God is dead"..................I dont' believe either statement!

·
Registered
56 Posts
When they make an EV with both equal range and recharging as fast as refueling then you can worry about internal combustion being replaced, but not until then in my opinion.
This is what I say every time someone brings up EVs to me and internal combustion engines dying.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'd be interested IF they could have the range while towing/working. So far, that puts loads on batteries they can't handle. Weren't there experimental EV's in the 60's that used synchronized motors at each wheel, pulling both AC and DC off to charge/re-charge the "starting" batteries and propel the vehicle? That design would be best and get away from the insanity of huge battery packs. Just like the 100 mpg carbs of the past they were probably buried. And with AC available, a flatbed could be a rolling beer garden.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,247 Posts
Small displacement Diesel engine (2-cyl?), coupled to a DC generator (no transmission) charging an array(4?) of deep cycle 6-volt batteries (in series/parallel). Digital invertor(s) draw from the 4800CA batts and feeds 4 AC motors on all 4 corners.

Instant torque, no driveshafts, no trans, no xfer case, less heat, no idling in stop/go traffic.
100mpg?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I like how the article allowed that the 11,500 lb/ft of torque might be a little misleading. Really? Considering our strong diesel pickups are typically at less than 1000 and a strong big truck (class 8) is typically less than 2000? There's not a tire around that they could put on that Hummer that would handle a fraction of that torque.

And I'm not holding my breath until internal combustion engines go the way of the dodo. Of course, if we fill Washington with a bunch more libbys, they'll try to see how quickly they can get it done. Look what they did to our diesels a few years ago.

I'm an avid outdoorsman and I don't want to see our environment polluted any more than anyone else does but it continues to aggravate the H out of me that we kill ourselves in this country to do the right thing, screw everything up and make it cost much more, while Asia and other places continue to pump out so much pollution that the pollution we save in America is a mere drop in the worldwide bucket.

I'll stop, I'm starting to get on a rant.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
If all vehicles were EV the grid would be no where near able to handle it. And green energy won't help. It will be coal or NG.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
576 Posts
If all vehicles were EV the grid would be no where near able to handle it. And green energy won't help. It will be coal or NG.
Yeah I can't stand to see all these crazy tree huggers talking about how they aren't effecting the environment because they have an EV. Please! Don't quote me on this, but I think like 80-90% of the US' power still comes from fossil fuels and gas. Not to mention all the plastic inside the interior of that EV. Its not made out of fairy dust and unicorn pop!

But I agree with whats been said, if they make a truck with a 20,000lbs+ towing capacity that can go at least 400mi before needing a charge and the total charging time would take under 30 minutes... I'm game! until then, I'll be in my Dmax.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I like how the article allowed that the 11,500 lb/ft of torque might be a little misleading. Really? Considering our strong diesel pickups are typically at less than 1000 and a strong big truck (class 8) is typically less than 2000? There's not a tire around that they could put on that Hummer that would handle a fraction of that torque.

And I'm not holding my breath until internal combustion engines go the way of the dodo. Of course, if we fill Washington with a bunch more libbys, they'll try to see how quickly they can get it done. Look what they did to our diesels a few years ago.

I'm an avid outdoorsman and I don't want to see our environment polluted any more than anyone else does but it continues to aggravate the H out of me that we kill ourselves in this country to do the right thing, screw everything up and make it cost much more, while Asia and other places continue to pump out so much pollution that the pollution we save in America is a mere drop in the worldwide bucket.

I'll stop, I'm starting to get on a rant.
The article says,

We know that the GMC Hummer EV will have more than 1,000 horsepower (745 kilowatts) and a reported 11,500 pound-feet (15,590 Newton-meters) of axle torque.

The Allison 1000 has a 3.1 gear ratio in first gear, so when coupled to a 3.73 ratio rear end, the torque at the axle is 3.1 * 3.73 * 910 lb*ft ~= 10,500 lb*ft (for an L5P). So there's nothing particularly amazing about the quoted number.

Torque, unlike power, is not subject to any conservation laws and can be arbitrarily increased/decreased with gearing. Its mention is primarily a marketing gimmick.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Diesel might be dead eventually but not in our lifetime. I’ll get one (the hummer, Tesla and Rivian are top contenders so far) in a year or two but only because I can keep the dmax too. I can run it off a solar system at the house and have the best of all worlds. Plus I have a mil surplus hmmwv so there won’t be a scenario where I can’t be the biggest douchebag in the lot. That’s important to me.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I feel confident that Diesels will be around for 20+ more years, they can be very efficient engines when they get the issues worked out of the emissions stuff.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

You are not well-informed. The issues have been worked out - well, not for us with consumer-grade trucks - they sure have for the big rig 0TR boys.

Here's the deal..in every major city businesses have sprung up to service the DPF filters - the big rig DPF's have for some years now been designed for quick servicing. When is the last time you've seen a big rig limping along because of a stuffed DPF? At appropriate intervals, they roll into a shop servicing DPF's, exchange/replace their DPF, and they are back on the road for another 80-120,000 miles. Cost to open up and professionally clean a DPF runs around $500.

Why would General Motors want to make it easy, practical & and inexpensive for you to keep your Duramax on the road. Objective is to make maintainence so expensive for you, when the vehicle "takes a dump" you will give up & go buy a new one from them.

Example....the DPF. on the LML's the whole exhaust system from the tip of the exhaust out back, to where it attaches to the CAT, is one huge piece, which GM will be happy to sell you for about $2,500.

True, you MAY be able to find a DPF shop that will bother with consumer-grade trucks; expect to pay about $800. to have it cut out of your truck, cut apart, cleaned, then re-installed.

And remember, our computers are programmed to throw you into "limp mode" without warning when your DPF gets clogged to the point an on-board "re-gen" wont clean it out. Try not being a danger to other vehicles when caught on the Interstate towing a load, and suddenly, without warning, you are in "limp-mode"

A "forced re-gen"? Sure, works sometimes, but not as thorough a job as disassembly and professional, proper clean-out. Ever wondered what a "forced re-gen" is doing to your truck? Hint - about the worst thing you can do to a diesel motor is run it at high rpm with no load. ( you don't suppose that's the whole idea..? )

Bottom line - the time-consuming costly mess we are in with consumer-grade trucks is by design, not because pollution controls are necessarily a bad or impractical devices.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
That was the first post that I have read on this thread (#13 by BLYTHKD1) that I could agree with, or that, in my opinion, was anywhere even close to real world reality.

Everyone gets all ga ga over the possibility of the US going 100% EV, but they are looking at the big picture through rose colored glasses, at best. EV's sound like they could be the solution to all of our problems, until you start to think about where does all of the electricity to charge everyone's EVs come from? There is no pollution associated with any of that, is there? And what about when the big a$$ batteries in our EVs start to die? The replacement batteries have got to be astronomically expensive. And where does the cadmium and other rare earth metals for these batteries come from?

Maybe in 50 years or so EVs might actually be an actual alternative for our combustion type engines, free from the huge pile of hidden pollution that is closely associated with this new technology. And maybe then, (if I am still around) I might get a little excited about all of this. But not before a whole lot of issues get resolved, instead of just hidden behind door #3.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts