Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought 2015 Denali HD, and want to change out the Diff Cover. I want to know the best one to get. I'm caught between AFE and Mag-Hytec, but I'm open to other ones as well. Any help you be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
I don't really think that any of them are actually better than the other, even though some of them have different features, they are all good differential covers, and in the end, it honestly just comes down to looks. Which one appeals to you more. The Mag-Hytec and the AFE both come with a dipstick, unlike the PPE and ATS. The one thing that AFE has that I like is the sight glass on the side, I wish the Mag-Hytec came with that. I ended up getting the Mag-Hytec, mainly because it had the dipstick, and they are the only ones I have ever used, so I stuck with tradition. In the end man, they are all good diff covers....here's a video that talks about them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAoyfoRp6k0

·
"THEEPASUCKS"
1,452 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Buy the one you think looks the best, the benefit is negligible.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I went with PML cover - adds 1 qt to the rear diff. Liked the drain/fill locations.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
We can typically get you the best deal on a PPE cover. It is our biggest seller over the other brands. I have a couple raw finish covers in stock that we can ship immediately. I will also include a PPE hat with purchase. PM me if interested in purchasing from a site supporting vendor. :thumb

Reactions: The Dude1

·
Registered
2020 2500 CCSB Sierra SLT
259 Posts
Cant speak about the other brands, but my maghytec has a magnetic tip on the dipstick. Whenever I change the fluid it always has some metal sludge gunk on it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Cant speak about the other brands, but my maghytec has a magnetic tip on the dipstick. Whenever I change the fluid it always has some metal sludge gunk on it.
This is expected. Just as there will be gunk on the magnetic drain plug.

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Buy the one you think looks the best, the benefit is negligible.
I disagree with the statement that the benefit is negligible. The benefits vary from brand to brand based on features. What do I mean by that? The Mag-Hytec (MH) cover has no cooling fins on the inside of the cover and 3/8" (very small) fins on the outside of the cover. The cooling properties of the MH are negligible. The second drawback to the MH cover is black holds heat in so when the cover is powder coated black it will not release as much heat from the fluid.

The PPE cover has fins on the inside of the cover and the fins on the outside of the cover are 3/4" deep thus giving you far more heat dissipation from the fluid than a MH. The PPE doesn't have a dip stick but honestly how many people go underneath their truck to check the fluid level of the rear diff? The PPE cover has a large neodymium magnetic fill plug strategically located where the oil is thrown up on the cover from the ring gear. When you get the PPE cover in the raw finish you do not have the black coating holding any heat in. You also factor in the extra fluid the diff cover allows and it is a benefit to longevity of the rear end in the truck.

The whole goal of a majority of our customers is longevity and that is what we have spent a lot of time testing products that will achieve that goal. You spend 60k on a truck you want the longest life you can get out of it, that is one thing we specialize in! The average truck that never tows may not see as much benefit as the truck that tows a lot or is on the road a lot such as hot shot driver but the benefits are there for a diff cover.

Attachments

Reactions: The Dude1

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
I disagree with the statement that the benefit is negligible. The benefits vary from brand to brand based on features. What do I mean by that? The Mag-Hytec (MH) cover has no cooling fins on the inside of the cover and 3/8" (very small) fins on the outside of the cover. The cooling properties of the MH are negligible. The second drawback to the MH cover is black holds heat in so when the cover is powder coated black it will not release as much heat from the fluid.

The PPE cover has fins on the inside of the cover and the fins on the outside of the cover are 3/4" deep thus giving you far more heat dissipation from the fluid than a MH. The PPE doesn't have a dip stick but honestly how many people go underneath their truck to check the fluid level of the rear diff? The PPE cover has a large neodymium magnetic fill plug strategically located where the oil is thrown up on the cover from the ring gear. When you get the PPE cover in the raw finish you do not have the black coating holding any heat in. You also factor in the extra fluid the diff cover allows and it is a benefit to longevity of the rear end in the truck.

The whole goal of a majority of our customers is longevity and that is what we have spent a lot of time testing products that will achieve that goal. You spend 60k on a truck you want the longest life you can get out of it, that is one thing we specialize in! The average truck that never tows may not see as much benefit as the truck that tows a lot or is on the road a lot such as hot shot driver but the benefits are there for a diff cover.

Emissivity of black paint and powder coat, just a few links for your reading pleasure....
-
-
https://www.google.com/search?biw=8...wUoAA&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.83134100,d.cGU
-
-
-
ThermoWorks Emissivity Table
-
-
http://www.vedoc-powder-coating.co.za/default.php?start=12&sid=57
-
-
-
http://www.victor-aviation.com/Electrostatic_Gloss_Black_Powder_Coat.php
-
-

-

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
MH & AFE look the best IMO

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I got the PPE...it looks the best to me. And it has cooling fins unlike some others. I also like that it uses a gasket. I'm not really a fan of the built in o rings the others use. Thoroughbred diesel has a video comparing all of them. You can't really go wrong with any of them I'd say. The dip stick and sight glass sound cool but are you really gonna be checking it that often? Where else would tbe fluid be going if the diff isn't leaking?? So I don't really see a gain for tbe sight glass or dip stick.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
PPE, they have the matching front diff cover, and tranny pan along with the PTO covers.

Reactions: Dirtbikindad393

·
Registered
678 Posts
recenly got a mag hytec and i love it !

·
#SecretSquirrel
2,000 Posts
that black PPE diff cover is sexy! Danville has their own by PPE to

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
I went with the BD Diff Cover which is IMO the most reasonable priced and nice looking cover, I just received it and planning on installing it this next week.
As far as diff fluid I'm going with Mobile 1 75w90 synthetic LS, while searching for best prices I found smoken discount offers at Advanced Auto for $7.69 per quart. Regular priced @ $10.99

BD Power - Product: Diff Cover - Chevy

·
Registered
326 Posts
I went with the BD Diff Cover which is IMO the most reasonable priced and nice looking cover, I just received it and planning on installing it this next week.
As far as diff fluid I'm going with Mobile 1 75w90 synthetic LS, while searching for best prices I found smoken discount offers at Advanced Auto for $7.69 per quart. Regular priced @ $10.99

BD Power - Product: Diff Cover - Chevy
Do you have any pics of this installed?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts