Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on getting a EFI Live dsp 5 tune soon and had a few questions about tunes in general. Most people request race, tow, mpg, etc tunes with their dsp 5 package. My question is: is there really that much difference between these tunes other than power output? The theory of tuning is to make the engine run as efficiently as possible, so is a 100hp tow tune going to be a better tow tune than a 250hp race tune?

While Im sure some race tunes are on the extreme side of the tuning tables and are too hot to run except on the race track, isnt the higher hp tune the more efficient tune, therefore the best for towing, mpg, and overall power?

Thanks in advance for info/opinions.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,953 Posts
The problem with using big tunes to tow is the temperature of your exhaust gas. If you get it to hot for too long you will cook your pistons.
There are pretty big differences between the tunes as well. Alot to do with timing and fuel amount mixed with boost. For economy you do not want as much of the above.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'll agree with the egts on the hotter tunes although we dont really consider a tune ready for use until it can be used for any type of towing, racing, or driving u want to use it for if you use a little common sense and have guages. Harley pulls trailers with a 650 horse tune tune all the time

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'll agree with the egts on the hotter tunes although we dont really consider a tune ready for use until it can be used for any type of towing, racing, or driving u want to use it for if you use a little common sense and have guages. Harley pulls trailers with a 650 horse tune tune all the time
Harleys truck has enough power to pull a trailer?:rof

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I plan on getting a EFI Live dsp 5
If using dsp5 at higher elevations, there is significant difference. It is hard to explain in a post, but most all dsp5 tunes are way overboosted at higher altitude. That's mainly because tuners provide for low altitude requirements. The same dsp position at higher altitudes, is no longer optimized, and is typically overboosted, and timing, over-advanced.

It is a good idea to tow (high altitude) only on the "main tune" position, where altitude compensation can take place.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the post KB, I will be doing all of my driving and towing between 3-7k elev.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts