Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need to order diff fluid asap and I was thinking amsoil.wondering what is the best to run 75-90 severe gear or synthetic.I got a mag-hytec diff cover and was wondering capacity,8 qts?? Stock front 2 qts?? Would the rear limited slip benefit from an additive?? I know this has probably been mentioned but I'm at work and can't spend time going threw the thousands of threads,thanks

· Registered
120 Posts
The Mag Hytec site says 8 quarts, but I have asked around and 5-6 quarts seems to be all anyone recommends for it. Can any of our "experts" given any final clarity to this?

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Juniordiesel I'm assuming you went with the severe gear??

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have an actual locker right?? Not a limited slip??

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought so,thanks

· Registered
120 Posts
bump (for my capacity question)

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I did the rear tonight,(it started to hail),front will have to wait till friday.Yeah the mag-hytec takes 6.5 quarts

· Banned
24,781 Posts
The Mag Hytec site says 8 quarts, but I have asked around and 5-6 quarts seems to be all anyone recommends for it. Can any of our "experts" given any final clarity to this?
Mag Hytec covers are bigger and allow for more fluid. Your probably right with 5-6 if you have a stock cover. Id get 6 to be safe. :cool:

· Vendor
11,225 Posts
AMSOIL recommends Severe Gear 75W-90 for our differentials. You will need almost 2 qts for the front and almost 4 for the back. If you are running the Magtech cover, you will need an additional 4 qts of fluid.

If I can be of assistance, just pm me.

Take care,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.