Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sort of a long story I will try to keep it simple. 02 LB7 just got out of warranty. Decided to pick up a used Hypertech programmer because it was really cheap. Turned out the VIN was locked. Talked to a few guys and they said that I could have the dealer cheat it by flashing my ecm with the previous trucks VIN (the one on the hypertech) clear the tuner, return my trucks ecm to the correct VIN and be able to use the tuner like normal.

Guy at dealer said it should work fine, but then when he tried, turns out I already had a tune written onto my ecm and he said that if he erased it, there was a chance I may need a new ecm to the tune of about $1200. SO needless to say I didn't do that.

I bought this truck used from the dealer. I don't know the previous owner and what tuner he owned or if he had a tune installed by a professional. Is there any way around this that doesn't involve me having to buy a new ecm? I just want my ecm back to stock so I can change things from that point.:help

And yes I know EFI Live is the way to go. But I need a lift and new tires soon so that will come first before EFI Live. And actually I was planning on stacking two tuners. Picked up a PPE Duramaximizer I picked up for $40 and the Hypertech for $50. Figured if I had to pay $150 to reflash, I would still be ahead of buying a quadzilla or PPE or EFI Live.

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
You having a tune on your ECM now in no way shape or form effects it's ability to be reflashed.

Why don't you forget your hypettech all together and just run the duramaximizer? That should be enough power to top out your stock trans

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You having a tune on your ECM now in no way shape or form effects it's ability to be reflashed.

Why don't you forget your hypettech all together and just run the duramaximizer? That should be enough power to top out your stock trans
At the Chevy dealer today, the guy who does the tuning said that if I had him continue with the flash, that it would trash my ECM. I know nothing about vehicle control electronics I won't pretend like I do. I just know what I am told. So did this guy just not know what he was doing?

I could forget the hypertech all together, and I may for now. But eventually I do plan to run EFI live, and if my ECM is locked out because of a previous tune, that will just cause me issues then wont it? I am not necessarily looking to crank it up for the power. I like the duramaximizer because its the knob on the go. But a few guys I have talked to who use the hypertech on the 50hp tune say they got much better gas mileage. That is my concern, and also, I am going to lift it and change tire size soon and the hypertech has the tire corrector on it for the speedo from what I can tell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts