Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Silverado 2500 High Country
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been lurking for a bit, time for my first post.
Mid November 2020, we bought our first 2500 High Country diesel. Bought with the intention of towing our new camper to go around and see the country since I could now work remote. It's a 10k lbs travel trailer, I wanted to make sure I had a truck plenty strong to pull it anywhere with plenty of headroom.

A little over a week into having it, we get an error message, took it to a dealership in the state we were in, DEF pump issue. Took them almost two weeks to get the new pump before they could replace it.

Now we are back in our home state and drove it one night, when turning the tail of the truck jerked and made an awful noise. Pulled over, looked around the truck, didnt see anything. Wondered if it was something on the differential. Took the 2/4 wheel drive out of AUTO mode and just put it in 2wd. Noise and jerk stopped, put back to Auto, came back.

We bring it back to another dealership, we don't even have 6k miles on it. They found one issue they fixed same day, and saw another issue on the transmission they needed to order a part for. Took over 2 weeks to get the part in, then they had to order a tool the dealership can only borrow from GM. We are hoping it's only a couple days but we have no idea really. Another fun fact of getting the part, neither the dealership or GM had any tracking info on if the part had been shipped or when it would arrive, it just randomly showed up at the dealership one day.

Both times my wife has been doing most of the interactions with GM corporate and the dealership as I'm at work. She was happy with the GM rep she dealt with before, but now the current one has her feeling like GM could care less about us. For example, they won't approve us having anything other than a GM rental, which right now is a Trax which we can't even put our 3 kids carseats into. We literately cannot go anywhere as a family right now. We know this "only GM rental" is a lie because they supplied us with an F250 because we were in the middle of trying to travel when the DEF issue happened.

We are supposed to be back on the road,, but we are stuck for, so far an additional week here, and we arent sure how much longer. This is costing us money as the next campsite doesn't provide refunds on this short of notice, and the current campground is relatively expensive.

We are about at the 15 days of the truck being at a dealership for repairs, not including the 2+ weeks waiting for the latest part, which qualifies us to put GM on notice per Lemon Law.

My wife is pissed at GM right now. Personally I just want the truck fixed, for things to be made right, but so far at least three different issues have/are being worked on in the 3 months we have owned it.

Any tips, suggestions or ideas on how we get this made right?

Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
717 Posts
You and xxxxx others are having issues..
Sorry about your luck... GM quality is poor at best...

·
Banned
1,343 Posts
Mid November 2020, we bought our first 2500 High Country diesel. Bought with the intention of towing our new camper to go around and see the country since I could now work remote. It's a 10k lbs travel trailer, I wanted to make sure I had a truck plenty strong to pull it anywhere with plenty of headroom.

A little over a week into having it, we get an error message, took it to a dealership in the state we were in, DEF pump issue. Took them almost two weeks to get the new pump before they could replace it.

Now we are back in our home state and drove it one night, when turning the tail of the truck jerked and made an awful noise. Pulled over, looked around the truck, didnt see anything. Wondered if it was something on the differential. Took the 2/4 wheel drive out of AUTO mode and just put it in 2wd. Noise and jerk stopped, put back to Auto, came back.

We bring it back to another dealership, we don't even have 6k miles on it. They found one issue they fixed same day, and saw another issue on the transmission they needed to order a part for. Took over 2 weeks to get the part in, then they had to order a tool the dealership can only borrow from GM. We are hoping it's only a couple days but we have no idea really. Another fun fact of getting the part, neither the dealership or GM had any tracking info on if the part had been shipped or when it would arrive, it just randomly showed up at the dealership one day.

Both times my wife has been doing most of the interactions with GM corporate and the dealership as I'm at work. She was happy with the GM rep she dealt with before, but now the current one has her feeling like GM could care less about us. For example, they won't approve us having anything other than a GM rental, which right now is a Trax which we can't even put our 3 kids carseats into. We literately cannot go anywhere as a family right now. We know this "only GM rental" is a lie because they supplied us with an F250 because we were in the middle of trying to travel when the DEF issue happened.

We are supposed to be back on the road,, but we are stuck for, so far an additional week here, and we arent sure how much longer. This is costing us money as the next campsite doesn't provide refunds on this short of notice, and the current campground is relatively expensive.

We are about at the 15 days of the truck being at a dealership for repairs, not including the 2+ weeks waiting for the latest part, which qualifies us to put GM on notice per Lemon Law.

My wife is pissed at GM right now. Personally I just want the truck fixed, for things to be made right, but so far at least three different issues have/are being worked on in the 3 months we have owned it.

Thanks!
Dave
another happy Mary Barra customer.. be sure to write her and let her know...

·
Registered
53 Posts
As much as I hate to make excuses for GM, this is a brand new truck almost entirely around. There will be growing pains. No amount of QA/QC can mimic 10,000+'s of trucks on the road being used in a range of loads, conditions and uses that GM could never think of.

I agree however, the dealers could handle it better with transparency and rentals. It also sucks that parts are taking forever, but that is the world we live in currently. Hell, my old truck was stolen during the auto union strike of 2019. I had to wait over a month for an OEM ignition switch.

Reactions: Melonhead1102

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I wonder if the dealership looked at Amazon to see if they had the part???

Reactions: Ron505

·
Registered
180 Posts
You realize that we are still in the midst of a global pandemic, a large portion of our country is currently covered in heavy snow and ice and, as previously mentioned, your truck is an entirely new platform. It's almost a perfect recipe for things to move slowly. I understand you're frustrated and that's okay but take a few deep breaths and navigate your way through this. I'm sure it won't be the end of the world. Keep in mind, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

One bit of advice. Stop driving around in 4WD AUTO. That's meant for times where traction is limited like heavy rain, sleet, snow, etc. It's meant to engage when the rears slip. It's not the same as AWD as some would have you believe. It's great on the highway in iffy conditions but if you're in normal driving conditions just run in 2WD.

Also, your car insurance may cover rental fees, expenses incurred due to vehicle being in shop, etc. Look into that. My extended warranties through Ally also cover all of that stuff.

We also own a Chevy Trax and I agree there is no way you can fit three car seats in one of those along with two adults.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You realize that we are still in the midst of a global pandemic, a large portion of our country is currently covered in heavy snow and ice and, as previously mentioned, your truck is an entirely new platform. It's almost a perfect recipe for things to move slowly. I understand you're frustrated and that's okay but take a few deep breaths and navigate your way through this. I'm sure it won't be the end of the world. Keep in mind, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

One bit of advice. Stop driving around in 4WD AUTO. That's meant for times where traction is limited like heavy rain, sleet, snow, etc. It's meant to engage when the rears slip. It's not the same as AWD as some would have you believe. It's great on the highway in iffy conditions but if you're in normal driving conditions just run in 2WD.

Also, your car insurance may cover rental fees, expenses incurred due to vehicle being in shop, etc. Look into that. My extended warranties through Ally also cover all of that stuff.

We also own a Chevy Trax and I agree there is no way you can fit three car seats in one of those along with two adults.
I may be wrong, but this bad weather has mostly been this past week. This is over two weeks of not even any information on if the part even shipped. GM customer service had no idea about the part, other than it was ordered. Has it left the warehouse, is it on a truck, what state is it in? In an age where drones are doing same day delivery in some areas, that is pretty pathetic they have absolutely no idea where it is.

Yes, I have recently learned that 'auto' is not ideal for "normal" driving. Which is oddly contrary to the recommendations of automatic headlights, highbeams, windshield wipers, collision brakes, etc. But please note, I was on wet road conditions when the issue of it being in Auto occurred. Also, if I wasn't in Auto, may have not discovered this factory issue until warranty period was over.

Either way you slice it, less than 6k miles, mostly all highway, should not have these issues. It's one thing to have an issue with one of the added frills, but this is a 2500, its purpose is to drive and pull. The drive train should be near bullet proof.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I may be wrong, but this bad weather has mostly been this past week. This is over two weeks of not even any information on if the part even shipped. GM customer service had no idea about the part, other than it was ordered. Has it left the warehouse, is it on a truck, what state is it in? In an age where drones are doing same day delivery in some areas, that is pretty pathetic they have absolutely no idea where it is.

Yes, I have recently learned that 'auto' is not ideal for "normal" driving. Which is oddly contrary to the recommendations of automatic headlights, highbeams, windshield wipers, collision brakes, etc. But please note, I was on wet road conditions when the issue of it being in Auto occurred. Also, if I wasn't in Auto, may have not discovered this factory issue until warranty period was over.

Either way you slice it, less than 6k miles, mostly all highway, should not have these issues. It's one thing to have an issue with one of the added frills, but this is a 2500, its purpose is to drive and pull. The drive train should be near bullet proof.
In a perfect world, yes. In the real world, we must understand that anything mechanical can break, anything electrical can go haywire, anything designed questionably can have issues. If you want a bulletproof design you're chasing a fallacy. Every brand has their issues. Your Chevy isn't extraordinary. I had a 2017 half ton Silverado that had an issue right out of the gate at 2100 miles on the very first time I engaged 4LO. It stuck in that mode and I had to limp it to a dealership. Luckily I was only about three miles away. When it engaged it sounded like something had gone dreadfully wrong. A simple reflash and it was good to go and I never had any issues with it in the 50k or so miles I kept the truck. Obviously, it sounds like your situation is more in depth than that but it just goes to show that even the smallest of issues can put any newer vehicle on the side of the road and waiting for a tow.

I hope it all works out perfectly for you but all I'm saying is the world and our country is all out of wack right now. I've given up expecting anything to happen quickly or efficiently during these times.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Thanks!
Dave
Dave,

It is hard to understand why so many issues with DEF systems, I know they are a very complex but still. My 2017 (139K) has worked flawlessly other then a slight leak in my water pump and number 5 glow plug replaced twice. The kicker is what they charge for these trucks.... to spend that kind of money for a headache.... I was thinking of upgrading but may hang on to mine for the long term, I keep reading about all these issues from other folks. Please keep us posted on what GMC does for you.... I sure would like to know. Hang in there!!

Greenlee

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: Friday I got a call that the truck should be ready today(monday). My wife just gets a call, they need another part. They have no idea when it will come in.

So we are stuck spending two extra weeks at a campsite that is about twice the price of where we would normally stay. This Friday we HAVE to move the camper because this site is reserved for someone else, and no one at GM seems to even care.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Update: Friday I got a call that the truck should be ready today(monday). My wife just gets a call, they need another part. They have no idea when it will come in.

So we are stuck spending two extra weeks at a campsite that is about twice the price of where we would normally stay. This Friday we HAVE to move the camper because this site is reserved for someone else, and no one at GM seems to even care.

Did you look into whether your car insurance covers expenses incurred due to unforeseen vehicle repairs? If you purchased an extended warranty (why people don't I'll never understand) it probably does the same as well. Heck, even my cell phone plan has clauses for vehicle rentals, roadside assistance, hotel rentals, etc.

There should be no way possible that you have to come out of pocket for any of this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you look into whether your car insurance covers expenses incurred due to unforeseen vehicle repairs? If you purchased an extended warranty (why people don't I'll never understand) it probably does the same as well. Heck, even my cell phone plan has clauses for vehicle rentals, roadside assistance, hotel rentals, etc.

There should be no way possible that you have to come out of pocket for any of this.
This is a manufacturer issue, not insurance or extended warranty issue. We bought this truck new, it is 3 months old.

·
Registered
180 Posts
This is a manufacturer issue, not insurance or extended warranty issue. We bought this truck new, it is 3 months old.
I guess you're not following what I'm saying.

Most big name insurance companies offer reimbursement for unforeseen expenses due to vehicle repairs. Most of them will cover hotel fees, food, fuel--if you've had to deviate from your route-- and other related costs. It has nothing to do with how old your vehicle is or whether you bought it new or used. Make sense?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Most big name insurance companies offer reimbursement for unforeseen expenses due to vehicle repairs. Most of them will cover hotel fees, food, fuel--if you've had to deviate from your route-- and other related costs. It has nothing to do with how old your vehicle is or whether you bought it new or used. Make sense?
My insurance company should not be paying for a mfg defect. Why am I going to give the insurance company a reason to increase my rates? GM paid for a truck rental previously, they need to be held responsible again, not pass the liability to an innocent bystander.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My insurance company should not be paying for a mfg defect. Why am I going to give the insurance company a reason to increase my rates? GM paid for a truck rental previously, they need to be held responsible again, not pass the liability to an innocent bystander.

LOL okay. It's obvious you won't listen to sound advice so I'm done trying to help you out. Good luck holding GM accountable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL okay. It's obvious you won't listen to sound advice so I'm done trying to help you out. Good luck holding GM accountable.
Thank you for the advice, but why should the mfg not be held responsible for their defects? We know for a fact they will pay to rent us another truck, they have done it before. They claim they don't, but really they just don't want to, but they will when you press them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thank you for the advice, but why should the mfg not be held responsible for their defects? We know for a fact they will pay to rent us another truck, they have done it before. They claim they don't, but really they just don't want to, but they will when you press them.
I don't know. Ask all the folks who had CP4 failures. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to share their story of how they "held GM accountable".

Again, good luck.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Sorry about your luck. I seem to think the new issues are stemming from all the brands choosing to use shared parts....How long will it be the body panels of Ford and GM will be interchangeable? The only thing different will be the emblem.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Sorry about your luck. I seem to think the new issues are stemming from all the brands choosing to use shared parts....How long will it be the body panels of Ford and GM will be interchangeable? The only thing different will be the emblem.
Then they'll be perfect for NASCAR!!

Seriously though, I agree with the OP. If I were in that situation, I'd be pushing the hell out of the dealer to loan me a like vehicle. I was stuck with a new truck at the dealership for almost 6 weeks one time and they didn't even gave me anything to drive. I'll never let that happen again.. What was their motivation to get my truck fixed when I didn't even have a loaner vehicle that they wanted back? And it was just in for a clutch!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

BTW, we checked, USAA must not be one of these big named insurance companies you speak of. Their rental coverage is only towards collisions and such, not mfg defects.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts