Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the new technology with "DEF" Urea injection is here to stay and will help resolve the mileage problems by allowing more optimized timing in the new motors.
From what I have read, it looks like DEF is approximately 32% ammonia...... I'm wondering how long before someone figures out how to save some money and brew their own DEF from simple ingredients available at the local grocery store? I'm envisioning a couple gallons of distilled water mixed with a gallon of Ammonia...?

Anyone?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Subscribing

·
Registered
868 Posts
im more curious how long it will take for a tuner to delete all that shit so i can straight pipe one cause that new dinali is gonna look good in my driveway

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
the ECM/urea system is pretty picky....its not stupid.

chances are its gonna know you are trying to cheat it... ;)

considering DEF/urea will be 2.50-3.00/gallon within a few months (YES, I KNOW its expensive from the dealer now, but isnt everything from the dealer way more expensive than normal???), why go through the trouble of trying to make your own......

ben

·
Registered
868 Posts
the ECM/urea system is pretty picky....its not stupid.

chances are its gonna know you are trying to cheat it... ;)

considering DEF/urea will be 2.50-3.00/gallon within a few months (YES, I KNOW its expensive from the dealer now, but isnt everything from the dealer way more expensive than normal???), why go through the trouble of trying to make your own......

ben
not sure my bud is looking into a new scorpian and called spartan they said they will have their tunes for it out in like 3-5 months i guess theyre fine tuning it now. no ford will sit in my driveway though especially the scorpion ive seen a couple at a dealership they are not a good looking truck

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
not sure my bud is looking into a new scorpian and called spartan they said they will have their tunes for it out in like 3-5 months i guess theyre fine tuning it now. no ford will sit in my driveway though especially the scorpion ive seen a couple at a dealership they are not a good looking truck
spartan has already cracked the 6.7 ECM I think.

What I was saying was...when the ECM/truck is STOCK/unprogrammed...you are not going to fool it. ;)

Once the aftermarket figures out the ECM and can reprogram it, all bets are off and of course you will be able to get away without running any urea.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just get good and drunk, then pee in the tank.

·
Registered
868 Posts
spartan has already cracked the 6.7 ECM I think.

What I was saying was...when the ECM/truck is STOCK/unprogrammed...you are not going to fool it. ;)

Once the aftermarket figures out the ECM and can reprogram it, all bets are off and of course you will be able to get away without running any urea.
yes they have programmed the 6.7 and bypassed the def but spartan told my friend it wont be released for 3-5 months my guess is they are fine tuning it

·
Registered
528 Posts
yeah thats sure gonna be a sweet ****** i mean scorpian diesel ill stick with my made in moraine ohio dmax

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not as optimistic as the rest of you guys. Anything is possible including an ECM that can't be reprogrammed. We already have the TCM module keeping an additional eye on torque in the LMM. If the government wants to shut down reprogramming I am sure that the big three diesel truck makers could make that happen today. Time will tell?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I'm not as optimistic as the rest of you guys. Anything is possible including an ECM that can't be reprogrammed. We already have the TCM module keeping an additional eye on torque in the LMM. If the government wants to shut down reprogramming I am sure that the big three diesel truck makers could make that happen today. Time will tell?
The LML ECM can be reprogrammed. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts