Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do 6.0 PSD's make boost at idle??
I have been listening to a lot of exhaust videos lately.

This summer I worked with a guy that had an 03 (loud turbo year) 6.0l PSD. he had a 4" straight pipe on it. and the truck sounded like a freaking jet plane taxiing down the runway. even at idle you can hear the turbo whistling. It was a little louder than i wanna go, but it's that kind of sound I like best.

I'm wanting to go 3" dp and 4" straight pipe, don't want the drone or the louder and deeper sound of the 5". Do you think I will be happy with that? I'm just really hoping it sounds like that taxiing jet in your face turbo noise at love revs.

blows my mind

doesn't seem to have any turbo noise at idle, i just want some. wondering if in person they'll sound similar.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
No truck/car will build boost at idle and or sitting in one place reving in neutral either.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i didn't think it would since there's no load. it was more of a get what i'm talking about question than a for real one, sorry. They just sound like they are making boost but i know it's 0.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I must of mis understood, my bad. You'll get that sound you're looking for, but I wouldnt expect it to be that of what a ford sounds like. At lower RPMS should sound beautiful and loud at WOT =)

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I must of mis understood, my bad. You'll get that sound you're looking for, but I wouldnt expect it to be that of what a ford sounds like. At lower RPMS should sound beautiful and loud at WOT =)
oh no that's on me lol. i did word it wrong. should've been like why the hell do they sound so good at idle. i just don't understand lol.
i'm really looking forward to it. dp and 4 inch should be a nice combo

Love how the psd can barely fkn start.
haha for real. my uncle's 04 dually will crank for a long time, chug chug chug, puff of smoke then idle normal...

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
oh no that's on me lol. i did word it wrong. should've been like why the hell do they sound so good at idle. i just don't understand lol.
i'm really looking forward to it. dp and 4 inch should be a nice combo

haha for real. my uncle's 04 dually will crank for a long time, chug chug chug, puff of smoke then idle normal...
Thats about the one thing ford has...You'll love your straight pipe, plus smoke any ford in the way. So they can have their turbo whistle:rof

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i mean i'd never own one after all the horror stories. just in love with that taxiing jumbo jet noise.

and yeah my stock dmax will smoke those whistly sumbitches hahaha.

i was just wondering what makes it happen. both modern V8 turbo diesels, they just whistle like crazy

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
It's the vanes open. 6.0's have almost the same turbo as a duramax iirc but the crappier version of it..Lol.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Gotta love a straight piped 6-0 with their injector system. They make this ungodly obnoxiously loud popping sound at WOT. Good thing is, after you pass one, it just faaaaaades away hahaha

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha i must have bad taste then mack..

i just much prefer that noise with some rumble rather than all rumble bark of some dmax's i hear. just pickin everyone's brains.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotta love a straight piped 6-0 with their injector system. They make this ungodly obnoxiously loud popping sound at WOT. Good thing is, after you pass one, it just faaaaaades away hahaha
haha not a fan of their top end. just that low end/idle noise is absolutely sick.

·
Banned
17,251 Posts
Yes, you can make boost at idle, but only like 1psi...

I played a lot with the vane tuning on my LBZ when it had a stock turbo when I was making my turbo brakes, I shut the vanes 99% at idle and it would make 1psi of boost at idle, and sound like a 6.0, but egt's would sit at 450*, so thats the downfall.

I love the sound of a 6.0 at WOT.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
great info brian. i'm sure fuel consumption was hurt with that tuning too. i just think they sound fucking amazing and i love the noise they make. not that a dmax sounds bad, they just turn my head everytime and i'm like damn. i was hoping my truck would sound similar to that once i get everything bolted up. i sure hope so

not a fan of cummins with exhaust. but those fords... damn it boy

·
Registered
772 Posts
I rode with a buddy of mine whos got a 6.0 and damn that engine is so loud. I mean he has a 4 inch strait pipe and all you can hear is the engine! Haha that doesnt help you at all but I just thought I'd throw that in there :D

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
haha i must have bad taste then mack..

i just much prefer that noise with some rumble rather than all rumble bark of some dmax's i hear. just pickin everyone's brains.
I'm saying the turbo on 6.0's are worse than the duramax turbo's.
They don't flow much and they blow up alot. Iirc they are garretts though, same as an lly+ Just a different size and whatnot.
Their whistle is sick.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts