Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm most likely going to buy an 01 LB7 2500HD tomorrow, the truck is in excellent shape 130k miles, all necessary and basic maint has been taken care of. The truck has an amp and 1 10" sub in it, and while test driving it the guy told me not to turn the volume much past 21, he didnt know why but apparently someone at the dealership told him that these trucks hate when any extra amperage is added.

Is there any truth in this? if so why and whats the fix to it

Thanks

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
hmmm sounds like it has a blown speaker they dont want u to know about. which shouldnt be a deal breaker anyways

·
Registered
264 Posts
Negative. At least as far as I know, I have an amp around 400W I believe and two 10" and all you have to worry about is turning it up too loud and possibly blowing a speaker or some sort....

·
Registered
420 Posts
There is no way that one 10 is drawing enough current to bring down any electrical stuff. If something does go haywire its a crummy stereo install.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good deal, it didnt make any sense to me either. Any chance that could be anything else? Or any opinions, im getting it for 11500, and the truck literally is clean as hell. And he has records of everything and all basic maint has been completed when it should and the injectors were replaced at 98k

2001 Chevy Duramax 2500hd, ext cab, new everything, great mpg!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No thoughts?

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD
908 Posts
I have a 12" sub and all four speakers running off two separate amps, strobe lights and a toolbox mounted power inverter. Running alot of extra electrical on these trucks is fine. If you get WAY to much it could possibly drag your alternator down. Low voltage will make these trucks haywire. Have the batteries tested and make sure they are still good. With 130,000 11,500 seems like a pretty good deal being that the truck has no problems.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The only time I drew too much power is when I had all of my strobes going(8) large blue ones and I had to use my plow to get into a driveway for a fire alarm. The radio and light were dimming and gauges were acting up. Shut the lights off and everything lit up and worked great.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts