Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. So a few weeks back I decided to try a k&n over stock air filter. Wasn't really looking for much gain of course just something I could re use. Bad mistake. We have small farm down here in ga and hasn't rained much in 2 months so quite dusty. Well started having a p0104 code pop up on dash. Related to mass air flow sensor. So I took intake apart to look at sensor and could actually see the oil and small dust particles on the sensor hints why I was getting code plus poor performance. Filter actually had a very small area where air had been pulled through and dust was obvious on both sides. Replaced with OEM filter and all has been well. Please don't throw money away on one of these for your lml. They are very finicky with air quality and I learned the hard way. By the way mine is 2016 GMC Denali 2500. Thanks for this forum and the abundance of knowledge all yall have

·
Registered
597 Posts
You will find that many people warn against using K&N filters on the Duramax, but if you do, then it is important to use the oil sparingly so that it does not coat your MAF.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
I went with an aFe Pro Dry S for that reason. No codes and it's washable. I've since changed over to a Banks CAI, Exhaust, etc.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Any oiled filter that's over oiled will do this. The k&n out the box are over oiled. It effects forced induction vehicles more

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I use the AFE Pro 5 oiled filter, pre-filter, and intake on my ‘11 and have not had any issues related to over oiling the filter. However when cleaning and re-oiling the filter that is a good time to follow the instructions. I have 2 filter elements so that I am not waiting for the one to get dry to oil. I follow the instructions and oil it lightly and tuck it back into the bag for storage for when needed. (Also because my shop is a woodworking shop so there is always a bit of sawdust floating around.) The filter will look like there are dry areas all over when initially sprayed, but after 24 hours the oil will spread and cover every square inch of filter.

I suspect that some who have had that oil fouling the MAF problem had used to much oil because of how it needs time to spread itself. Supposedly my truck has had an issue with the design of the intake and where the MAF is located on it, but I remain a little skeptical of that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.