Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Just picked up a used Duramax. Early 2004 with 73K on it. nice shape, flew to TX to drive it home to WA. Have owned 2 Cummins Dodges, very happy with the engine, T/C and Axles; Trannys never let me down, but heard horror stories.

Went GM for the ride, cab room (crew cab, short bed) and Allison. Heard great things about the Duramax engine, but it's a different animal than that Cummins. Stock, it doesnt have as much snap as that Cummins did off the line.

After that drive home, I have two initial questions maybe some of you can shed some light on....

1) On the drive home from TX, I noticed a ticking under load (up hills, acceleration) that was engine speed dependant, much to me like an exhaust leak would in a gasoline engine.... Figured I'd start looking there..... Didnt sound like a rod or wrist pin, besides, at the pace I drove, the engine would have blown if it was one of those. :) By chance is it 'normal'? Im used to that loud Cummins design.

2) The oil pressure when warm @ idle is pretty low, but comes up right away when you throttle up (GM Gas engines have been this way forever, but I was wondering if its normal for the diesel since Isuzu actually makes it)

I've heard really good things about the edge with attidute setup for both power and economy gains, anyone got better ideas?

Thanks,
Davy

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Welcome to the group! The Duramax has proven itself to be a good motor worthy of keeping around. Sounds like you got a good find.

As for teh Edge, yes, the Dmax responds to it very well. plus with gauges built in and on the fly adjustability, its like having your cake and eating it too!

Some of the guy that know the little quirks will chime in here soon. I am still learning alot about these trucks. I am a Dodge guy, but if I wanted a truck just for comfort, I'd get a GM.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
WElcome to the site!!!! As for the ticking noise i wouldent worry to much but use your judgement if it get to loud have it checked!!!! My oil psi at idle is around 20 psi (hot) but raise instantly off of idle!!! and for the lb7 the edge with attitude is pretty good, has gauges and is swithchable and runs really well especially if you get the hot juice upgrade. But to much of level 4 and 5 playing will make short life out of the trans!!

Welcome again,
Caleb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts