Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son had to use my truck as his vehicle is down hard at the moment. I told him if he had to put fuel in to make damn sure he put diesel in it and not gas. More than once I told him. Get a phone call shortly after he got off work on my wife's phone. He told my wife he wanted to talk to me and she handed me the phone. Yep, he put gas in my truck, not just a bit but ten gallons worth. He did ask me not to get mad before he told me, but I did. Let out a few rather expletives rather loud and handed the phone back to my wife somewhat not so gently. He got mad at himself and threw his phone to the ground, thus causing it to be incapable of further use.

I had all kinds of bad thoughts going through my head, not knowing how far he drove it, where it was, and if he had enough money to buy a new engine and get it installed. Around 1 am my truck showed up at the house on the back of a tow truck with me still not knowing how far it had been driven, let alone whether it died a horrible death.

The next day my wife picked him up when he got off work and brought him to the house. I was in front of the garage working on a generator and he came straight to me and apologized repeatedly while kicking himself in his own ass. I had calmed down considerably from the night before and asked what I had been wanting to know, "How far did you drive it after putting gas in and did it stutter in the least." He said no more 25-30 yards and no stutter at all.

I thought long and hard about what course to take. Have it towed to a shop and do the nasty, possibly throw a new engine it thus costing him money I know he didn't have or take a gamble. The gamble was to drain the tank, drop the tank and give it a good flush, install tank, drain the fuel filter numerous times and priming it back up until I couldn't smell any gas whatsoever.

I chose the gamble because we live a fair distance from the nearest shop and out in the boonies on dirt roads. A new/rebuilt engine would cost more than what I paid for the truck. He told me he put in about 10 gallons of gas and I figured there was about the same amount of diesel in the tank, so 50/50 mix give or take.

He was more than happy to do all of the work, and he got to taste that 50/50 mix more than a few times. After he got about 20 gallons out of the tank in four of my six gas cans I had empty in the garage, he got to make 3 trips with my two still empty cans to get them filled up with diesel to fill the truck up. Between each can I had add some HSS EDT to get that mixed in nice and even. Ended up putting about 10 ounces in. Next was clearing the line from the tank to the filter repeatedly.

After he filled a quart bottle the fifth time, I took a sniff and didn't smell any gas, not that my sniffer is the greatest. I then got the keys and very gently turned it and the truck fired up instantly. No tremors, shaking, screeching, whining, groaning, etc. Just nice and smooth like always. I let it idle for about a half hour and then drove it maybe half a mile nice and easy. No hiccups at all. Since then I have put probably 150 miles on it and waiting until it gets down to a quarter or tank before I fill it up again and I'll add some HSS Extreme Diesel Treatment and hopefully can be at ease whenever I drive it from here on out.

He is very thankful that he's not out a whole bunch of $$$ and I'm thankful my truck is not in a shop for the next month or four.

I'm sure that there are those of you who probably think I'm crazy to do what I did, but like I said it was a gamble. A rather large gamble. My thinking was that even though there was a lot of gas in there, he didn't drive until it died or started misfiring. If it had I wouldn't have done things the way I did. I also felt there couldn't be that much fuel in the line all the way to the injectors. I stay in the truck for about 10 minutes with my fingers on the key ready to shut it down if there was the smallest shimmy while it idled.

Afterwards, my son told he was going to buy a lottery ticket because he felt so lucky that he didn't ruin my truck.

So, that's my story from the last week. Hopefully the coming week will be a bit less eventful and less stressful.

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I think I would have done the same as you. You had a problem and thought out a common sense fix.

Reactions: Icutmetl

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
2,372 Posts
I would have done the same. The good thing was that there was that much diesel still in the tank. I hope you can forgive your son for what he did and count it as a lesson learned.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would have done the same. The good thing was that there was that much diesel still in the tank. I hope you can forgive your son for what he did and count it as a lesson learned.
I forgave him when he showed up at the house with his tail between his legs. I know he didn't do it on purpose and never meant any harm. I just got so mad at him when he told me.

Funny thing is that the day he did it, my wife and I watched a movie about forgiveness that same night. I figured that was my sign.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts