Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I guess I dont under the point of this thread. Yes guys with diesel trucks and gassers pull campers, boats, cars, construction equipment. Hey jeep guys do you ever go off road? Same style of question. Was this going anywhere? Or was it just the def question? And I agree the more fuel used the more def used. Anyways what kind of milage is everyone getting pulling these big trailers? I have a 22 ft pontoon boat and at 75 mph i get about 15-17 mpg with the 2020 l5p. On paper not pic. I was pretty impressed cause my 2013 lml got about 13 mpg. Anyhow just wanted to add something else to this pointless nonsense lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
I pull a 2011 Crossroads Seville VF35CKS with a 2013 GMC Denali HD. When we're loaded for the winter, the total weight is about 23,000+/- depending on some minor stuff in the truck. Fuel mileage last winter was about 12-13 from central Indiana to central Florida in January. Mileage from Florida to coastal South Carolina in March was 13. From South Carolina back to central Indiana the end of March was between 9.5 & 12 depending on the wind. Headwinds on that rig tends to hit the mileage hard & we were pulling a headwind most of the way home.

Unloaded mpg tends to be closer to 22-23 & as high as 25 depending on fuel, wind, and how I'm driving it. If I don't push it and just run about 65, it does great. If I push it and drive 70+ then it's closer to 20-21.

Your mileage will vary with load, wind, and driving style.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
20200322_134459.jpg

I have a 2020 Grand Design reflection 337rls fully loaded out the way it is just shy a 14000 lb. I tow it what's my 07 GMC Sierra classic 2500 HD Duramax Allison. Last trip was pretty flat and I got just over 13 miles per gallon. Don't have to worry Def has my LBZ 07 Classic didn't use Def.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes; 2 different FWs. '04 Komfort 25FSG, low-profile (~10'), 29' OAL, 11,360 GVW, single 14' slide, a square shoebox. Towing 65 mph ~10 mpg; towing 60 mph ~11-12 mpg. Now, towing a '17 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT, mid-profile (~12'8"), 31'8" OAL, 10,500 GVW, 3 slides, much more rounded, still getting 11-12 mpg at ~60-62 mph. Use zero DEF as I tow with an '02 D'max.

Lyle

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
View attachment 1076013 View attachment 1076013

I have a 2020 Grand Design reflection 337rls fully loaded out the way it is just shy a 14000 lb. I tow it what's my 07 GMC Sierra classic 2500 HD Duramax Allison. Last trip was pretty flat and I got just over 13 miles per gallon. Don't have to worry Def has my LBZ 07 Classic didn't use Def.
I also tow in 5th gear at 63-65 mph in tow/haul in manual on cruise. at about 1900 rpm. The sweet spot for efficiency on the LBZ is 2000-2300 rpm. 6th gr is to low at about 15-1600 rpm and 4th gr is to high. It was worth 1.5-2 mpg increase in mileage. I also tow on an 80 hp tune.

·
Registered
97 Posts
With my '02 only having the 5-speed Allie =and= no way to manually select 4th (whatever engineer/marketing guy thought that was a good idea needs to be bitch-slapped from here to China, and back), I just put it in T/H and let the tranny do it's thing. Even with the lighter FW, heading up I-17 at Black Canyon, I'm still down to 45 at about 2500. I had a Banks Bullet tuner for a number of years and, even in Tow mode (~12-15 hp increase) I had to be real careful or I'd push the turbo up towards redline temps.

Lyle

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
'19 DMAX
'18 30 foot Cougar

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just went and picked up our first camper. Got a really good deal on it. My question for you guys, how much space do u typically want between the top of the pick up box and the bottom side of the camper? I bought a used 5th wheel hitch and just threw it in. Looks like I have one more hole for adjustment to lift up and a few for moving It down. To me it looks like I should have more room but with this being the first camper pulled im not sure.

Also does anyone use the 3rd brake light camera? thinking that would be nice to have for hooking up.

Thanks for the input.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
41' Montana, 24600# combined
Is it just the camera angle/perspective or is that palm tree and electrical box directly in front of your trailer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
2008 Chevy 3500HD, 2016 Montana, B&W Turnover Ball and Companion, 90gal aux fuel tank, EFI Live, Air Bags.. it's a smooth ride rolling cross country. Most recently from South Central Ks to Western NY (30 mile light house).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just went and picked up our first camper. Got a really good deal on it. My question for you guys, how much space do u typically want between the top of the pick up box and the bottom side of the camper? I bought a used 5th wheel hitch and just threw it in. Looks like I have one more hole for adjustment to lift up and a few for moving It down. To me it looks like I should have more room but with this being the first camper pulled im not sure.

Also does anyone use the 3rd brake light camera? thinking that would be nice to have for hooking up.

Thanks for the input.
Looks like you have 6", that's should be good. You don't want to jack the nose of the trailer up higher than necessary, better to keep it down out of the airflow as much as possible. Probably the only thing you need to watch is going over a severe hump while turning. But I've done that with a similar size trailer and a similar gap and never had interference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
41' Montana, 24600# combined

dang that place packs people in! Every campground i've been to in michigan gives you a little space.

My parents have a 2011 extended cab and pull their 34' Grand Design Solitude with it. Dad did an exhaust upgrade an 80hp tune and DEF & EGR delete two years ago.. Said he gets around 13mpg towing that and their little fishing boat behind it.

which is why i'm looking into getting a duramax myself. We want a bigger camper, and my current F150 Ecoboost sucks towing (got 8mpgs on the same trip my parents did with a 20' camper behind me)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts