Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Just curious as to what top end on an L5P really is.
Its not 100% clear what your asking, at least not to me. If you are asking about the speed governor, that should go with the tune, if your asking about something else, please clarify.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's it. I would have thought the speed governor was controlled by the ECM and I would imagine someone that wanted the tune would get rid of that. Mine pulls pretty strong up to when the governor hits. My real question for someone that has deleted, what's the new top end?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had that removed on my colorado. I would think you’d hit engine rev limiter maybe 4k or whatever it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hahaha

My Colorado cruise worked fine btw without speed limiter. I think cruise speed limit is lower like 93 or soemthing.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
That's it. I would have thought the speed governor was controlled by the ECM and I would imagine someone that wanted the tune would get rid of that. Mine pulls pretty strong up to when the governor hits. My real question for someone that has deleted, what's the new top end?
i dont have a L5P, but my LML's top end is determined by how high you feel like getting the engine RPM. You could calculate your top speed based on your highest overdrive gear ratio, differential ratio, tire size and engine RPM if you were so included. to put it differently, post delete your top speed is the speed you can go before the valves float.

Hahaha

My Colorado cruise worked fine btw without speed limiter. I think cruise speed limit is lower like 93 or soemthing.

i cannot think of a situation where i would want cruise control on at anything in excess of 93 miles per hour lol.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
The cruise on my lml may or may not have worked at 110 before. Also that truck has gone 135+ mph and was still going.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
That's true lol

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
If it will rev to max rpm in top gear when the speed limiter is removed -- then top speed is easy to calculate. (assuming stock tire size, or suitable speedo adjustment)

Select a combination of speed and rpm (when running in top gear) then top speed is the ratio of observed and max rpm, times the observed speed.
3450 rpm is L5P the max speed under power (is 4800 rpm under braking)

Top speed would be = 70 mph x (max rpm / rpm @ 70 mph )

I forget what the rpm is a 70, but
if it's 2000, and if it will rev out in top gear, then max speed would be 70 x 3450/2000 = 121

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
That's fast enough that you could convince the highway patrol his radar isn't be calibrated correctly. "157? It's a pickup. 157 isn't possible."
Funny thing is it was steady climbing too, then my alarm went off for me to get up for work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts