Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, My 04 LB7 (117,000) was smoking. Assumed it was sticking injector like last year. Smoke was darker though, but I talked myself into it being a stuck injector. Anyway, diesel was smoking really bad and when it started knocking, really bad, coming up to freeway speed, I took it to GM then next morning. They found that the Fuel Pressure Regulator failed (they found this by code and pressure test as a result from the code)and was dumping high pressure fuel into the cylinders (excess smoke) and due to excess fuel, causing the knocking. $500 and new regulator later, it still smoked. They then found a low compression on #7. End result after head removal = Busted exhaust valve, valve seating surface, piston jagged and missing pieces, cylinder wall scored. Best option now is new engine ($12.5k).:eek:

My biggest question is this: With all the computer monitoring on these engines now, shouldn't the pressure regulator failure have resulted in a "Service Engine" light?

I have never done anything extra to this diesel. No power chip, no after market intake or exhaust. And the service guy said this failure is what is seen on failures of trucks with power chips that cause EGT to go way too high and cause damage. With all the stupid codes that bring in engine lights, why isn't a failure of a REGULATOR a trouble light/code?:help

·
Registered
297 Posts
how long have you had it? maybe the guy before you ran a hot tune?

·
Registered
253 Posts
The 12.5k to replace is that a new or rebuilt motor, also is that the dealer price?

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Where you located?

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
you could rebuild a motor with stronger parts for 12.5k
you can get motors for llike 3-5 k

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1. I am original Owner so there was no previous hot tune..

2.The Engine is $7,700 + taxes. Labor is $3,100. The Engine is Brand New from GM, 3yr/100k mile warranty comes with it. The only reused parts from current engine is the Turbo and Fuel Pressure Pump. Everything else is factory new from crate.

3. I am in the Phoenix, Arizona area.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Who is doing work?

1. I am original Owner so there was no previous hot tune..

2.The Engine is $7,700 + taxes. Labor is $3,100. The Engine is Brand New from GM, 3yr/100k mile warranty comes with it. The only reused parts from current engine is the Turbo and Fuel Pressure Pump. Everything else is factory new from crate.

3. I am in the Phoenix, Arizona area.
I live in Vegas and the dealer want's $7500 just for the injectors. Who is doing the work for you? It could be worth my while just to get the warranty.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
For that kind of money I would get a performance shop built it better and stronger. Even if you don't want more power, the performance shops know what the short commings were with the factory engines and know how to make them better, stronger for the future.

·
Registered
253 Posts
For that kind of money I would get a performance shop built it better and stronger. Even if you don't want more power, the performance shops know what the short commings were with the factory engines and know how to make them better, stronger for the future.
Well put, I would do exactly that. tough luck man

1 - 9 of 9 Posts