Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me give a little background. When I purchased this truck it had a cheap multi segment 4” exhaust already installed however it was so loud that it was not comfortable driving unloaded @ anything over 60 mph. I replaced it with a good magnaflow system and, although it was still louder then stock … it is a 4” er … it was very much quieter.

Now, I had the truck in the shop to have the SB clutch installed and due to a glitch, I was without it for about a week. When I picked it up the first thing I noticed, other then the new clutch, was that it seemed louder then usual. I contributed this to not having driven it for a week. But, a couple of days ago my wife made the same comment about how much louder it was. I went by the shop that installed the exhaust but they could not find a leak or anything loose. He then asked me if my turbo has always been this loud. I didn’t know what to tell him as this is my first diesel and I have not had it long enough to have a base line of sound and performance. Could a turbo going bad result in increasing the in cab noise? My boost seems to be ok.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
Sounds like maybe when the shop put the exhaust back on after installing the clutch they might have it hitting something or on a bind in the gromets causing it to resonate in the cab, try holding a towel over the exhaust tip and listen for the hissing sound, this is how i found a leak on my wifes 04 but i didnt know it was leaking from the noise but more so it was getting fumes in the cab!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts