Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 05 lly duramax that still has factory head gaskets and bolts. I've done the head gaskets on the 05 ford 6.0 I had and also put in arp studs so I have some experience working on these modern diesels. Heres the thing I have a co-worker that has a 04 2500 with the duramax and his head gaskets are in need of replacement he says hes asked a few shops and they have told him they dont do that kind of work. He asked if I had interest in doing the job. I told him id do it thinking it would be good experience for me for when I do my truck. Now from what I can see the duramax should be much easier than a ford 6.0 more room under hood, can take inner fenders off for access and no high pressure oil system. I was wondering what all of you could reccomend for tips. But my first questions are do I need to replace the injector cones and i'm planning to get one of those whole gasket kits it seems they come with new valve shaft seals do all of you recomend changing them while the heads off or should I not bother. Also after looking at design do I even need to pull the injectors to do the head gaskets i'm guessing yes cause they probly block me from being able to pull rocker arm assembly off but figured i'd ask. Also he tells me the turbo leaks until I get my hands on it not sure if he means oil or air I also dont know yet if its a early 04 with the lb7 or a late 04 with the lly other than turbos and from what I heard injector diameter is there any other differences I need to worry about?? Really hope all of you can give me a little advice on this project. Parts I qouted him were arp head studs, napa gasket kit, head gaskets, coolant, oil and filter. Also what is the recommended head gasket for the duramax I was thinking those all metal victor ones that alligator has looked pretty good. Before anyone asks yes they have done some mods to truck I know at least some kind of tuner thats why the want head studs. Well I think I covered just about the whole thing. Thanks much
:gearjamin

1 - 1 of 1 Posts