Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hear the donaldson blue air filter is better than white?...but i read somewhere the blue isnt available anymore?...

·
Rode the Short Bus
2,380 Posts
I tried to find the Donaldson blue also, but haven't found it. I just continued to run the ACDelco filter.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
Unless something's changed or maybe not available everywhere??

Go to Auto Zone...get a STPSA10161 air filter[will be in a brown box,plain looking,will say STP,Donaldson filter inside:)]..The last time I bought one was 2-3 weeks ago at 62 bucks or so....If they are not available anymore I will have to look into using another brand,I really liked these cause even after I would change after 18k or so it still looked good and filter indicator had some life left.........we'll see though..

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
You should be able to get up to 70K on the power core. Even with me driving around at work I have 73K on mine and the minder is moving now.

·
Vendor
10,966 Posts
You should be able to get up to 70K on the power core. Even with me driving around at work I have 73K on mine and the minder is moving now.
I just go by mileage. For a cellulose filter that is a long time. I looked at mine at 25k and found it to be ready to be changed.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
I don’t believe that mileage is a good indicator for when to change, there are too many variables in use and environmental conditions to consider. Even living in the same locale, 25k miles on a Daily Driver doesn’t compare to 25k miles of heavy hauling, using twice as much fuel per mile and far greater volumes of air pulled through the PowerCore.

I’m just over 30k on my LBZ and have been experiencing a steady drop in mileage since before 25k miles or so. The indicator was still showing ‘Good-to-Go’, but pulling the original Blue drum out showed different, with over a ¼” of dirt falling out just from tapping it alone.

Since my bulk order (placed @ 3pm, shipped at 3:24pm) arrived in one day (yesterday, amazing guys/gals :hyper...no slackers over there:thumbsup), I dropped in a new Wix drum last evening and reset the DIC (strangely, it’s accurate on my truck) and it jumped up 4 mpg, the engine seemed to be quieter and the turbo whistle got louder.

I’ll run some miles with the 5er today and get a better feel for improvements, as I’ve only driven a few miles so far with a clean nostril. :D

·
Rode the Short Bus
2,380 Posts
Since my bulk order (placed @ 3pm, shipped at 3:24pm) arrived in one day (yesterday, amazing guys/gals :hyper...no slackers over there:thumbsup), I dropped in a new Wix drum last evening and reset the DIC (strangely, it’s accurate on my truck) and it jumped up 4 mpg, the engine seemed to be quieter and the turbo whistle got louder.
You running the Wix Powercore from Husker?

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
It shall remain a 'Mystery Vendor’, staying away from starting up ‘The Filter Wars’. :rolleyes: :rof
Buy in bulk and save. :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
We use power core filters at work and they hold a shit ton of dirt. Looking at them or tapping them is a poor way to tell anything. My filters time is almost up, but I still knock down 21.5 MPG at 75 MPH have the UOAs to back up that its filtering better then ever.

·
Registered
678 Posts
does anyone know what is different about the WIX PowerCore Filer from the Donaldson PowerCore Filter? other then the WIX cost about $42 and the Donaldson cost about $44

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
We carry the Baldwin and AC Delco filter for 2006+ oem cleaners.

Here is my question though the AC Delco comes with a removable ring at the top that supposedly is used for the 2008 and above but remove the ring and use the barrel for the 2006-2007. So the AC Delco can be used for all years. The Baldwin doesn't come with the ring and it is said it won't work on the 2008 and up LMM air box does anybody know if thats true? I have a 05 so I am not as familar with the 06 and up air boxes and haven't taken the time to find a friend with and 06 to confirm it for myself.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have 3 of the Donaldson Blue filters in hand and 2 on hold for me to pick up next week. These will last me a bunch of years. Next week after I have the last 2 in hand, if anyone is interested, I will post how to find them.

I had bought one of the white Donaldson filters marketed under the STP label. I lost 1.5 to 2 mpg towing. Over the 1400 mile round trip we just did, that equated to 20 extra gallons of diesel. So I got it into my head to start doing searches and I found these that I am getting.

Seeing as I have an 04.5 truck that has an 06 airbox, and that my truck, being 6 years old and only has 51,000 miles on it, these 5 filters will last me quite a while.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

dave

·
Registered
211 Posts
if anyone is interested, all you have to do is ask them to do a lookup on part nbr 15918221, alternate part nbr A2947C, its the 8 digit that is the key to finding them.

the people at the parts counters were gracious enough to open the boxes and check for me when I explained that they were new old stock and had been superceded and were the micro-fiber technology.

dc

·
Registered
678 Posts
How much did these cost you?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts