Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waited a long time to buy my first diesel truck, and I was always a GM fan but it appears in 2008 I made a mistake. Of course it waited untile after the warrenty was expired the electrical goblins attacked. First my fuel gauge shows empty and I still have 12 gallons of fuel. The electric windows stopped, one of the tires says it has 7 lbs, had to replace glow plugs, and to top it off a message comes accross to clean the exhaust filter check the manual now. The book tells me nothing. Anybody else having these problems

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Guessing the truck is all stock? Doesn't seem like a big deal to me for 100k. Lot better than injectors, head gaskets, or whatever else you get with the oval.

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
The fuel is a common problem with gm the window prolly just a bad regulator and the exhaust has to be put into a regen by gm and the tire prolly just needs a new sensor

·
Premium Member
8,149 Posts
Similar problems but not with GM, mine was 2 trucks with Ford. It was a mess, one of which I am still recovering from. I am of the mindset "DONE WITH FORD" so it seems to me that each truck has its problems at its own time in its own way. It sounds to me like a CPU issue or ECM. Something that can be easy to diagnose and so forth. I will be honest with you and say stick with the GM product. Overall less problems as a whole than another badge you may seek to own IMHO. Fix it and stick with the devil you know. Getting into the diesels you already knew they can be costly and now it has come up. Work through it and you will not regret it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
These are small problems, I suggest you lease your vehicles and change them every <2 years, if that is all it takes for you to give up on a vehicle.

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
Yeah, those are small problems. Clean Exhaust Filter means your DPF is full. Drive it on the hwy until the DIC clears on its own.

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
If that's all the "problems" you've had on a 6 year old truck, that's not bad. Lurk around on the Ford & Dodge forums and you won't feel so bad!

·
Registered
633 Posts
For pete sake, sounds like someone who thinks their vehicle should give them trouble free service without servicing it.

For the DPF, drive until it blows the crap out and stops the regen, and FYI the DPF's don't last forever and depending on miles/engine hours will need servicing or replaced. A lot of funny electrical troubles can come from batteries that are bad or weak, start there, next would be a body control module. I mean, s*** happens. Next, the TPMS sensors are in the wheels and have batteries, these too go bad, replace it/them. Glow plugs are a wear item, replace it/them.

Lastly if you knew the horror ford diesel owners put up with over the years you wouldn't feel your truck was a mistake. EVERY truck has their quirks.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
The fuel gauge is conservative on its reading. This is not a malfunction. ~10 gallons in the tank is normal for the gauge being on 'E'. Normal condition.

Did all of your electric windows stop or just a single window?

TPMS sensors are good for ~5 years due to the integrated battery so it is time to replace them. They are about $50/ea. Normal condition. Would you also complain about changing the vehicle batteries every 5 years?

Glow plugs are a maintenance item as well. Inexpensive and easy to change. Use ACDelco only.

'CLEAN EXHAUST FILTER' means you need to get on the freeway and drive at 60mph+ for 10-30 miles depending on the outside temperature to allow for the regeneration cycle to complete. Normal condition.

What is the problem again?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess lack of knowledge is the problem. I just never had any of these problems with any GM product I ever owned. You responses is most appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
I was one of those unfortunate GM fans who bought a new Olds Toronado 350 diesel. Had so many issues with that car that I swore I would NEVER buy another GM product as long as I lived. However, when I decided to buy a 5th wheel and needed to find a truck, I spent months researching on line, lurked on Ford, Dodge & GM Duramax forums and also talked to my friends who had trucks. I am glad I decided on GM. My truck has never left me on the side of the road, including over 24,000 miles of towing a large 5th wheel. Yeah, I've replaced both front wheel bearings and the passenger side AC blend door sticks and I still have 6-7 gallons of fuel when the gauge shows empty and I've had to spend $15 rebuilding the fuel filter head, but my Ford and Dodge buddies with similar year diesel trucks have had some REAL nightmares with turbos, EGRs, transmissions, front suspensions, weak springs, cheesy bodies, interiors falling apart, etc etc. Spend some time lurking on SOB forums and you will see some REAL, very expensive problems to contend with.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Just had fuel pump go bad in our new 2014 f550. 6.7l power stroke with 31k. Miles. At 16k miles the wire harness needed replacing because it was shorting out somehow . And again at 28k miles wire harness went bad again. Now those are problems to bitch about

·
Premium Member
8,149 Posts
Just had fuel pump go bad in our new 2014 f550. 6.7l power stroke with 31k. Miles. At 16k miles the wire harness needed replacing because it was shorting out somehow . And again at 28k miles wire harness went bad again. Now those are problems to bitch about

Ok! That was exactly what happened to both of my Fords. 13k miles had a complete engine failure. 2nd one had complete electrical failure at 17k and had every electrical component replaced, again at 19k, again at 20k and again at 23k. EVERY COMPONENT. They had to ship everything from the factory each time and take it off the trucks being built because what I needed didn't exist anywhere else. Total parts and labor the dealer told me was 28,000.00. My truck was rebuilt 4 times (6-8,000.00 each time) at the dealer. Warranty covered it but while it was in the shop I switched to GM and haven't looked back. I'm still eating that loss!!! Btw the lemon laws out there in NM are manufacturing favored. I had to pay Ford (by law) 22,000.00. I settle for half of that. Want more info PM me. But your "done with GM" is just frustration. You'll get it fixed I'm confident.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
1,166 Posts
Ok! That was exactly what happened to both of my Fords. 13k miles had a complete engine failure. 2nd one had complete electrical failure at 17k and had every electrical component replaced, again at 19k, again at 20k and again at 23k. EVERY COMPONENT. They had to ship everything from the factory each time and take it off the trucks being built because what I needed didn't exist anywhere else. Total parts and labor the dealer told me was 28,000.00. My truck was rebuilt 4 times (6-8,000.00 each time) at the dealer. Warranty covered it but while it was in the shop I switched to GM and haven't looked back. I'm still eating that loss!!! Btw the lemon laws out there in NM are manufacturing favored. I had to pay Ford (by law) 22,000.00. I settle for half of that. Want more info PM me. But your "done with GM" is just frustration. You'll get it fixed I'm confident.

Wow, that's bad.

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts

wow

doesnt warranty cover that stuff? why would you have to pay a dime for any of that?

either way, thats awful

·
Premium Member
8,149 Posts
wow

doesnt warranty cover that stuff? why would you have to pay a dime for any of that?

either way, thats awful

Warranty covered repairs and labor yes.
Lemon laws (it was declared as such) allowed Ford Motor Co to charge me mileage from the first occurring instance. They legally charged me per mile of use plus had to payback any and all incentives that were given to me upon purchasing the truck. Yes it sucked a lot. I never thought a company who sells the most, has the highest profit margins etc would crap on a customer who had bought 2 trucks from them, both being a pile of ass. NM is one of 2 states that allow this practice.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts