Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very leery about going to the new GM 10 speed (its gm, not really allison) and sure enough, I was dead right. Unless its me, the downshift bang and delay is very annoying, and thats not even towing! I had a feeling dropping 2, 3 or 4 gears to accelerate would be the problem and it defenitely seems to be... anyone else? S.D.'s do that?
Oh and heard Gale talking about the new gm 10 speed, and he said as far as tuning, they're arent looking to do much to the 10 speed and stress it out.
I might be trading my dad back for my 2018 Dirty Denali. Y'all know them puppies aint got no delay

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
They are gonna have to pry my cold dead body outta my antique non-DEF/DPF/CP4 Allison equipped LLY. I can't afford to gamble $70K on a truck that might spend more time waiting for the dealer to fix it than I would spend driving it... In over 40K miles of towing my 5th wheel, my truck has never let me down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was very leery about going to the new GM 10 speed (its gm, not really allison) and sure enough, I was dead right. Unless its me, the downshift bang and delay is very annoying, and thats not even towing! I had a feeling dropping 2, 3 or 4 gears to accelerate would be the problem and it defenitely seems to be... anyone else? S.D.'s do that?
Oh and heard Gale talking about the new gm 10 speed, and he said as far as tuning, they're arent looking to do much to the 10 speed and stress it out.
I might be trading my dad back for my 2018 Dirty Denali. Y'all know them puppies aint got no delay

When did Gm start making Tranny vs Allison ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,264 Posts
During the 'restructure', 'bout 2007(?), GM became full owner of the Baltimore plant (where all HD Allison trans had been built since '01). Same employees/staff, continued the Allison production as they had for years before.

That plant hit the cut on the recent GM plant closures across the board, which is 'bout the same time as production was moved to another plant, with the 10-spd for '20.

It's a collaborative design effort involving several parties, one being Allison.
So, you get the 'not really an Allison' mention, which could be said for every 6-spd trans installed for the last 12+ years.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well have 22k on mine! Best transmission I have ever had in a HD type truck and I have had more than a few. :) For me nothing magical about the name "Allison" had issues with two different "Allison" trucks in the late 90's. One killed two converters the other clutch pack problems. Finally got tired of it drove it up to Denver and had an after market tranny installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i had a 2018 Powerchoke up until Jan 27th when I got my 2020 GMC, ill take this "Allison 10 speed" any day over the ford tranny. I pulled about 20K last week with it and the shifting is so damn smooth I was nervous something was wrong!

I ran Fords for 11 years, finally the crappy ride, dated interior (plastic all around), poor mileage and really hard shifty smash gear transmissions lead me to test drive a 2020 Denali and man what a difference, plus GM finally got their cab dimensions figured out, love this new frame truck.

outside of a few things like the remote start only allowing 2 cycles on the key or app, and no door code access I love it

·
Registered
7 Posts
i had a 2018 Powerchoke up until Jan 27th when I got my 2020 GMC, ill take this "Allison 10 speed" any day over the ford tranny. I pulled about 20K last week with it and the shifting is so damn smooth I was nervous something was wrong!

I ran Fords for 11 years, finally the crappy ride, dated interior (plastic all around), poor mileage and really hard shifty smash gear transmissions lead me to test drive a 2020 Denali and man what a difference, plus GM finally got their cab dimensions figured out, love this new frame truck.

outside of a few things like the remote start only allowing 2 cycles on the key or app, and no door code access I love it

Great info. I am stuck between the ram 3500 and this gmc. I think the ram interior is better but the gmc body looks better. Down to the ride now

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great info. I am stuck between the ram 3500 and this gmc. I think the ram interior is better but the gmc body looks better. Down to the ride now

I test drove a 2020 2500 RAM, all I can say FORD and GM still are a step above on mechanical, yes their interior is pretty nice but still have some work to do in overall quality IMO

the new 2020 Platform GM has is the leader in this class if you ask me, they all have things people will complain about

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
Your transmission is most likely in the "learn" mode and will shift hard until it learns yoru driving habits. It never really exits that learn mode but it at its worst when it is new

PS Read this forum. It has LOTS of good information for those just joining the forum.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/new-here-please-read/

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
They are gonna have to pry my cold dead body outta my antique non-DEF/DPF/CP4 Allison equipped LLY. I can't afford to gamble $70K on a truck that might spend more time waiting for the dealer to fix it than I would spend driving it... In over 40K miles of towing my 5th wheel, my truck has never let me down.
Next month will be 10 years that I have owned my LBZ, it has never left me on the side of the road loaded or unloaded :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Thank You!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
OP’s first post and never even comes back. I wont read much into his 10-speed complaints. Next...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Aren't the 2020 HD transmissions from GM and Ford part of a joint venture? From what I have read their basic architecture is the same. The gear ratios are slightly different but still the same tranny.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Aren't the 2020 HD transmissions from GM and Ford part of a joint venture? From what I have read their basic architecture is the same. The gear ratios are slightly different but still the same tranny.
Not sure, but the 6 speed in my 2018 Ford was horse S#!t compared to this new GMC, also a friend of mine just bought a 2020 F250 PS with the standard tranny at still the same old crap with them. same interior as my 2018 ect, glad I went with the GM

co-worker ordered a 2020 F250 witht heir 10-speed so I will report back after driving that one to see

·
Registered
53 Posts
Felt the same way about trading my 2016 LML on my current 2019 L5P at first , I was going to wait on a 2020 but glad I did not wait . I drove a 2020 and the 10 speed felt like it was always hunting for a gear up or down .
Toyota had a problem like that with the Tacoma trucks when they went with the current transmission Could not find a happy gear at speeds bounced around .
I’m also glad I got the older Allison , tells you something when GM is still using that 6 speed in the 4500/5500 trucks .
If it was a strong transmission would think the would use the 10 speed in the 4500/5500 , all about the fuel milage and emissions , does not mean you get a good product .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Felt the same way about trading my 2016 LML on my current 2019 L5P at first , I was going to wait on a 2020 but glad I did not wait . I drove a 2020 and the 10 speed felt like it was always hunting for a gear up or down .
Toyota had a problem like that with the Tacoma trucks when they went with the current transmission Could not find a happy gear at speeds bounced around .
I’m also glad I got the older Allison , tells you something when GM is still using that 6 speed in the 4500/5500 trucks .
If it was a strong transmission would think the would use the 10 speed in the 4500/5500 , all about the fuel milage and emissions , does not mean you get a good product .
There must have been something wrong, mine doesnt "Hunt" at all. Best set up i've had

·
Registered
995 Posts
It is a different transmission in the 4500/5500 trucks. There are different Allison transmissions designed for different trucks and other vehicles (buses for example) and the base model 1000 is what goes into the light duty pickups like the 2500 and 3500 small trucks. Going to more speeds with the new transmissions is the easiest and cheapest (customers pay for the added costs) way to improve fuel economy for the manufacturers' cars and for trucks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts