Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Seems like I'm having some issues with my door/window switch on the drivers side door. It's very intermitent...when i go to use the switch to slide the windows up the windows go down instead and than a few seconds later it will start working fine again...i wiggled the wires in the door jam but that doesnt seem to help anything...the lights that illuminate the swwitches also go out.
Also when i press the lock/unlock button all the doors lock except for the drivers side and it does the same thing when i use my key fob and than it works fine once in a while.
Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Sounds like a ground problem -- maybe pull the door panel-- find the ground wire--[usually black] and add a temp ground to it just to test.

The electric motor in the window is a DC motor. when you press the button the switch provides power to one side of the motor and grounds the other so it goes down- when you press the button the other way, it send power to the previously grounded side and grounds the previously powered side-- the the window will go up. So with a test light, or meter, you can test the power and possible diagnose it. If it has a bad ground, it may try to ground through another circuit and that may be why it reversed the operation.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a ground problem -- maybe pull the door panel-- find the ground wire--[usually black] and add a temp ground to it just to test.

The electric motor in the window is a DC motor. when you press the button the switch provides power to one side of the motor and grounds the other so it goes down- when you press the button the other way, it send power to the previously grounded side and grounds the previously powered side-- the the window will go up. So with a test light, or meter, you can test the power and possible diagnose it. If it has a bad ground, it may try to ground through another circuit and that may be why it reversed the operation.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply.
I will definately try that and sorry but i forgot to mention that it will to that to all four windows from that master switch...could it possibly be the switch it self?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Yes-- could be the master switch.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Hey guys! Seems like I'm having some issues with my door/window switch on the drivers side door. It's very intermitent...when i go to use the switch to slide the windows up the windows go down instead and than a few seconds later it will start working fine again...i wiggled the wires in the door jam but that doesnt seem to help anything...the lights that illuminate the swwitches also go out.
Also when i press the lock/unlock button all the doors lock except for the drivers side and it does the same thing when i use my key fob and than it works fine once in a while.
Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Please keep us posted on your progress. If you need me to look further into the situation, feel free to send me a private message with your contact info and VIN. Thank you!

Joey, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm new to the Duramax world, so this could be totally inaccurate, but I know that on some of the new GM cars those switches are CAN connected. I've seen large electrical loads effect CAN communication before, does the problem happen to show it's self when your air system is running?

-Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm new to the Duramax world, so this could be totally inaccurate, but I know that on some of the new GM cars those switches are CAN connected. I've seen large electrical loads effect CAN communication before, does the problem happen to show it's self when your air system is running?

-Rob
I haven't tried with anything off but ill defiantely give it a try,im hoping to look into it tomorrow or the next day.
And if so than what can be done to eliminate the problem?
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
135 Posts
Some sort of isolation transformer for your pumps to prevent them from transmitting noise to the rest of the system.

-Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had noticed last night while driving that the lights that illuminate the seat heater switch flicker also while the lights on the master window switch go out completely and thats when i notice what the switch acts up.
Another thing that i had noticed is that my door lock acts up only on the drivers side weather i use the key fob or the door switch.
Ive talked to the local dealer and they said that they've replaced lots of those switches so I'm considering just ordering one off ebay to try it!
Local dealer is asking almost $300 CAD and on ebay their for $85.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wouldn't start swapping parts yet...

If it was my Truck, I'd pull the door panel and wiggle wires / pull on connectors till I could duplicate the problem. It does sound like there's a bad wire someplace.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
you think you have it bad, i havent had rear windows working in my CCSB since the day i got itfuck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts