Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those who are running DOT #'s as a private carrier (not for hire),
what are the requirements/restrictions in having to stop at weigh stations? Is it purely based on weight? If so, what is based on the private motor carrier classification?

·
Registered
120 Posts
To those who are running DOT #'s as a private carrier (not for hire),
what are the requirements/restrictions in having to stop at weigh stations? Is it purely based on weight? If so, what is based on the private motor carrier classification?
Whether or not you are a private motor carrier or not makes no difference.

Requirements to stop and weight vary by state. Here you have to weight if over 8k. Many are if over 10k.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
why would you need a DOT # if your not for hire?
I think most state weight stations a for Commercial vehicles only but it does vary just go by what the signs for the weigh station say

·
Registered
421 Posts
why would you need a DOT # if your not for hire?
I think most state weight stations a for Commercial vehicles only but it does vary just go by what the signs for the weigh station say
wrong, if there is a D.O.T. number on the side of the truck pulling any trailer, then you must follow the FMCSA rules and regulations. while pulling any trailer, you must follow the signs, and if your combined weight is over what they state, then you must pull in. even if you are not for hire. the DOT number changed everything and over rides not for hire notes. if there was not DOT number then you do not pull in.
i have 15.5 years driving a semi and 2 years pulling campers fromn factories to dealers and to and from customers.

·
Registered
120 Posts
wrong, if there is a D.O.T. number on the side of the truck pulling any trailer, then you must follow the FMCSA rules and regulations.
Wrong, I don't need to follow FMCSA rule sand regulations when towing my camper with my USDOT numbered truck.

while pulling any trailer, you must follow the signs, and if your combined weight is over what they state, then you must pull in.
Even if you are not pulling a trailer if your weight is over what it says on the sign you must pull in.

then you must pull in even if you are not for hire. the DOT number changed everything and over rides not for hire notes. if there was not DOT number then you do not pull in.
That don't make a lick of sense. Whether or not you are DOT numbered has NO bearing on whether or not you have to scale.

·
Registered
51 Posts
do i need dot numbers? just private guy with a hobby which i need a 2500 gmc towing a 35 ' gooseneck enclosed trailer.

·
Registered
421 Posts
if you are not for hire and pull the trailer for you recreation then no.

·
I Sell Fireworks!
361 Posts
If the cargo that you are carrying is "in commerce" i.e. you are selling the goods for a profit, then all DOT and FMCSA rules apply. If you are hauling items for personal use then you are not subject to DOT most of the time.

I work for a private "not for hire" carrier in which we transport consumer fireworks (hazmat) every day. I am a DOT certified transportation trainer for the Indiana Fireworks Distributors Association and there has been much debate about this. The bottom line is, if you are transporting goods "in commerce" for business purposes, you are under the scrutiny of all rules and regulations. If you are transporting items such as a camper for personal use, you are good to go in most cases.

·
Registered
51 Posts
sure seems there is lots of grey area there

·
I Sell Fireworks!
361 Posts
sure seems there is lots of grey area there
That's the government for ya. It's a little area they like to call "interpretation".

·
Registered
120 Posts
Seems to me the ones that complain the most about grey areas and interpretation haven't read the laws and regulations.

·
Registered
29 Posts
iam in maine and i drive for a living. if your truck has a com plate on it you pull in no matter if it is a business or a personal truck. dot has pulled me over in my dmax haulin a mini excavator to check everything out

·
Registered
379 Posts
A guy used my dump trailer the other week and someone T-boned him. Since he does not have DOT numbers I am getting all this paperwork in the mail trying to nail me and or my dot. The state cop told me I must put my dot number on all my trailers. Has anyone ever heard of this. I have them on my truck why do I need them on my trailer. The way I see it the trailer is the responsibility of the truck and driver pulling it. It should not come back to me because it was in an accident.

I am in wisconsin and by law with having a dot number on my truck I am supposed to stop all all weigh stations with or without a trailer because I exceed the 8000# limit.

Any thoughts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts