Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, 05 2500hd with 7 speaker Bose 6cd system and steering wheel controls. Want to get a double din DVD and just curious if any brands are best or can only work with the Bose. I know I'll need a wiring harness thats np but will I need anything for the steering wheel controls or even the onstar?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Hey all, 05 2500hd with 7 speaker Bose 6cd system and steering wheel controls. Want to get a double din DVD and just curious if any brands are best or can only work with the Bose. I know I'll need a wiring harness thats np but will I need anything for the steering wheel controls or even the onstar?

Thanks in advance!
I have the kenwood, a PAC steering wheel control module and the wiring harness will have to be made for onstar. They have special ones.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
818 Posts
can you guys post pictures of yours I have seen some that look realy good and some that look like crap I would like to get one as well but want to see before I buy, I also want to keep the 6 disc changer

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I don't believe you can have both buddy. Just go to and ipod and you will hate few after that

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the Kenwood DDX418 double din with the Axxess GMRC-01 ($50.00) to keep the factory door chime and gives the ECM a "Healthy" system status, I dont have ONSTAR. and the Axxess AWSC steering wheel control module ($40.00). For the DVD park interlock all I had to do was ground the park wire for the DVD player.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Did you end up getting one yet? I just got mine into my truck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No not yet I've got the modules for steering wheel controls and the Bose sound system/on star, and the trim piece is on its way. Wanted to have everything on hand for the install when I do get the deck

·
Registered
453 Posts
yeah there is quite a bit of crap!! I got a shop to put my deck in for me (not that I cant) Stupid trucks are so sensative to wiring its unreal. I guess some people in the past have tried to wire the onstar module and cross some wire and the air bags went! haha

What deck are you going with?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shit I got a buddy who works at bet buy maybe I'll let him be the one to get the wires crossed haha! I'm deciding between the kenwood 6980 and 7160. Great reviews about the kenwoods so just a matter of which one I want now, if I should go big or go home and get a few more options and the full touch screen or just get a good one still and save a little money

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yeah I just got someone to install it, the installer here is a well known installer with proof to back it up. The only reason why I let a shop do it, and I knew it would get done right. And I think that they warranty it if stuff goes wrong. But if you install it, you kiss all warranty good bye! haha

I went with the Alpine NAV-10, its super clean, looks great, pretty easy to function, higher level of volts for the pre-outs (which is hard to find in some double din DVD's).

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just think if you will really use all the features or once you have things set then you won't mess with it again. The novelty will wear off so keep that in mind. Many people can get by on less features just fine. Also when i was asking about the dvd players an installer told me it is easy to do to make them able to play dvds anytime but also mentioned to me that he also installed cop car cams and they can zoom in on one button on your radio from a llllloooonnnggg waysss away and it shows up crystal clear for them. And that is a $$5,000 fine if they catch you and nobody has really gotten out of it. Moving picture in the drivers view. So in my opinion your better off to get a roof flip down player.:poke[1]::poke[1]:

·
Registered
453 Posts
So your telling me a cop, can zoom in and see my screen, in a lifted truck and tinted? (i dont watch videos and drive anyway).

·
Registered
278 Posts
So your telling me a cop, can zoom in and see my screen, in a lifted truck and tinted? (i dont watch videos and drive anyway).
I don't know about lifted trucks but this installer said they can and said it was the best camera he has ever seen. If you don't drive with it on you should be fine. But i guess some kid with a maybe $2,000 car with a system worth more in it made it so he can have it on while he drives and got busted. He had to take a loan out to pay for the ticket lol.:rofl

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
you can call and ask any radio shop how to get dvd to play while driving. everyone knows how. but they can not tell you because it is illegal. BUT ican tell you cause idgf :)
take your ebrake cable, wire it to power of switch, and then hook up a ground wire from the wire to the switch. and wala now you can watch it.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thats halarious! If I was a cop I totally would pull over a kid with a stereo worth more than what he is driving hahah!! Thats too funny!

I know with my Alpine, you can't run a switch off the ebrake cable to have video while you drive, you need yet another module!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thats halarious! If I was a cop I totally would pull over a kid with a stereo worth more than what he is driving hahah!! Thats too funny!

I know with my Alpine, you can't run a switch off the ebrake cable to have video while you drive, you need yet another module!
There is a lot of kids around here that will spend thousands of dollars on sound sytems for there vehicle that is only worth a couple thousand or less. Those little f****** go by thumping and rattling windows with their p.o.s. neons and exhaust about as big as tires. Yet the cops harrass me and let them do whatever. Cops around here are crooked as hell.

Anyways like kman said thats all you have to do and the installer even told me that too. If others want to risk it thats there deal and don't bother me just thought i would say it in case people didn't know. Almost guaranteed with my luck i would get caught so i will just put a flip down in down the road sometime plus they got a bigger screen lol.:rofl

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
ive got the pioneer DVD3200. works great. looks clean, and you cant just put the ground to the E break on the more complicated newer ones. you have to wire in a relay. that's what i ended up having to do. here is a picture of it. pretty much the worst picture ever and does it no justice, but you get the idea haha.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts