Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read recently that GM is working on 6.4L and 6.9L Duramaxes. Apparently Toyota's new truck is near, and it's getting a diesel. Anyone have any more info on these at all? Can anyone tell whether these are V8s or will they finally make one or both I6's?

·
Administrator / Web Servant
100 Posts
I think it will be very interesting to see what will happen in the next few years. Ford is supposed to come out with a 6.4L Engine that will be putting out 4-500 Horsepower. The Dodge Cummins is rumored to be going through some major overhauls soon as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did A Dura Do Dat said:
I read recently that GM is working on 6.4L and 6.9L Duramaxes. Apparently Toyota's new truck is near, and it's getting a diesel. Anyone have any more info on these at all? Can anyone tell whether these are V8s or will they finally make one or both I6's?
I believe the 6.9L will be for 2007+..still a V8
they are also creating a V6 ...Isuzu design for the 1500HD I believe
should be interesting indeed :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep...diesel is good

Damn.....let's see what kind of I6's they can produce eh? The Cummins is apperently going to 6.7L very soon

·
Registered
7 Posts
6.4 and 6.9

GM plans to put a 6.4 in a couple of their upsize vans for 2007. They've scrubbed the idea of putting one in the burb, and it looks like Chrysler is going with the Mercedes diesel in 2007, dropping the Cummins

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey DuraDud i'm a Mod on the Powerstroke forum, and a PSD owner. I also like the DCD's and GMD's so I have names on here and there too. I've been doin a lot of research on the 6.4 and this is what I posted on the PSD forum about a week ago:

"This might be old news to some of you but to others it won't be. I've been asking around and searching almost daily out of curiosity and this is a summary to the best of my knowledge of all the notes i've taken.
Apparently the 6.4 PSD is coming up within the next several months. No word on if it will be on the 07 trucks as of yet. However, it is supposedly a 6.0 that has a larger bore to create the extra cubic inches, instead of a new motor from the ground up like the 6.0 was when it was unveiled. Hopefully IH/Navistar will have eliminated many of the problems that have seemed to give the 6.0 a mediocre reputation. Keep in mind they bored the 6.9L to create the legendary 7.3. So perhaps the 6.0 can be called to the 6.9 of old, and the soon to come 6.4 the new 7.3? A new fuel system (possibly high pressure common rail) and larger pistons are obvious. Not a huge surprise with all the rumors is not twin, but compound/staged/dual turbos (call them whatever, just not twins) will be under the hood with the smaller turbo providing boost off idle up to the point where the larger turbo can kick in. It should help kill of turbo lag quite a bit and help off the line. I also heard a little about two compressor wheels mounted on the same shaft possibly, with the smaller dumping to the other when more boost is needed. We'll see I guess. As for power numbers horsepower seems to be 350+ and tq around 600+....this could be due to the existing torqshift being carried over. Perhaps that's because the 6.4 could destroy a tranny quickly if they release it with a lot of what it's capable of? Anyway, that's about all I have for now. . . .Also . . . I have a friend that used to work here at Navistar in Indy and now works at a plant in Warrenville, Illinois which is a suburb of Chicago. I lost his cell phone number shortly after he moved. Another friend of mine used to live with him and he told me the other day that he would be in town for Christmas. I'll try to hook up with him then and see how accurate this info i've gathered is and post a reply with what I find out."

Also with all the upgrades that GM did with the latest duramax, twins are very likely in the next couple/few years. I think the day will come within the next decade that each of the big three will have smaller single turbo diesels, and an option for a larger twin turbo or something. Who knows...I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think that Gm is gonna stay with the 6.6L for a while as it's the king of the hill right now. I read in Peterson's 4Wheel Offroad that it's supposed to be 2/3 of a dmax in the 1500 with the new 6L90E(6speed auto). All of the 5.9L cummins engines in farm equipment have been replaced by the 6.7L ISB which I understand is a bored and stroked version(can you imagine that? a 5.9 has like a 4 inch bore and a 4.72inch stroke) I'm not sure about anything else but this baby is supposed to be able to pump out upper 300's lower 400HP easy. 800lb/ft of torque easy. So I think you dmax and powerjoke boys had better get your chips ready. Oh yea we're supposed to get a six speed auto that rivals the allison tranny in strength to(FINALLY).:peelout :peelout :peelout

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Smacker you just need to simmer down! Powerjoke? Get your chips ready? Where's the respect to your fellow diesel truck owners? Yes the newer cummins will be quite a motor and it will be 6.7L. Do you really think that with the huge surge in diesel engine popularity that one or the other is going to be that far ahead or behind? They all keep a close eye on each other and they aren't going to let themselves get tanked. Each year horsepower and torque numbers vary, but each maker has it's strong points and weak points, and they all accelerate within a few hundreths of a second of each other. Therefore there's not really any super superiority for ford chevy or dodge.

·
Administrator / Web Servant
100 Posts
Good point. I dont think one is going to out-do the other by far. Now it becomes a competition of whose new engine can stay on the road! I hope all the new modified engines are reliable.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is very true. I also wanted to add that I'm sure all the makers aren't going to go all out to just slaughter the other two, because what's left for the next year and the year after that? An extra 2 or 3hp and 5lb-ft of torque? They're smart and even if they know their ratings will be a little less than the competition during a given year, they'll adjust for the half year models and such. Lower/higher hp and tq numbers do not necessarily mean that the lower is slower, and the higher is a flyer. Gearing, weight and aerodynamics make a play in how they tow, accelerate, etc....

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah they should put that in the f150 for sure. Am I mistaken, or does that thing have two turbos? I see the one on the right, but it looks like there's another larger one to the left on top?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It sure looks like it does to me, if you look at the pic close enough!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just got the latest edition of Diesel Power Mag and read an article by David Kennedy (pg 20) on the new 4.5L V8 Duramax said to make 340 hp and 590 ft/lb tq.and destined for 1/2 ton vehicles (1500s) coming in 2009. Check it out. Ultralight and compact graphite/iron block, valley pan exhaust directly to turbo, DOHC. Could this one produce that power and 30 plus mpg? Who knows what potential? I had previously read articles on possible V6 and V4 versions of the original DMax. for smaller vehicles. Is diesel going to play abigger part in powertrain futer that previously imagined?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well it's nice to see this thread get revived!

I think it will be very interesting to see what will happen in the next few years. Ford is supposed to come out with a 6.4L Engine that will be putting out 4-500 Horsepower. The Dodge Cummins is rumored to be going through some major overhauls soon as well.
Well the 6.4 did come out but it's pretty clear it isn't laying down 4-500!
GM plans to put a 6.4 in a couple of their upsize vans for 2007. They've scrubbed the idea of putting one in the burb, and it looks like Chrysler is going with the Mercedes diesel in 2007, dropping the Cummins
I knew Chrysler wouldn't drop the Cummins.
I think that Gm is gonna stay with the 6.6L for a while as it's the king of the hill right now. I read in Peterson's 4Wheel Offroad that it's supposed to be 2/3 of a dmax in the 1500 with the new 6L90E(6speed auto). All of the 5.9L cummins engines in farm equipment have been replaced by the 6.7L ISB which I understand is a bored and stroked version(can you imagine that? a 5.9 has like a 4 inch bore and a 4.72inch stroke) I'm not sure about anything else but this baby is supposed to be able to pump out upper 300's lower 400HP easy. 800lb/ft of torque easy. So I think you dmax and powerjoke boys had better get your chips ready. Oh yea we're supposed to get a six speed auto that rivals the allison tranny in strength to(FINALLY).:peelout :peelout :peelout
Long live the 5.9!

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
I think it's amusing how people argue about which brand of truck is better...even if they do come out with an amazing super powered 500HP stock diesel....you are gona pay out the A$$ for it. And all the people who own a 360HP diesel can drop an extra 4 grand and get the same output! So who cares...it's all the same power and cost in the long run. And all the new truck will have so much emmisons crap on them that they probably won't even run properly. And also...if Toyota comes out with a diesel..that's gona be a darn good truck....because Toyotas run forever. My wife has a 94 tacoma with 195,000 on it and has NEVER had it break down once...just routine maintenance.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I myself likely wouldn't buy a Toyota Diesel, unless it was just that good. I don't want to bother with emissions stuff either. I will stick with my no emissions vehicle that gets 22-24+ mpg vs an emissions equipped truck that gets 12-16. I do agree that the quality of foreign vehicles seems to be much better than the quality of domestics. My mom has a 99 Malibu with about 90k on it. It has been in for countless issues, including about 2000 of repairs several months ago that I almost strangled the dealer over. Not to mention my uncles Trailblazer and 5-6 yr old Monte Carlo both of their troubles, my girlfriends parent's trailblazer....lots of electrical issues and the engines in the cars can't make it to 100k without major repairs or gasket failures........WTF! Maybe at 200......but 100k.......nah.......GM isn't getting my business unless it was a Duramax......a used one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts