Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The medical response vehicles around me have it when they brake before a soild red the brake lights flash 2 times quick( obviously to get drives attention. Does anyone know what i would have to do to get mine to do that. A type of relay or something?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
That would be awesome to have, I have that feature on my integrated taillight for my motorcycle. Definitely subscribing.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Aggravating as crap. 3rd party insurance claim driven, it should be outlawed. nono

In an attempt to limit claims, some idiot dreamed up that nonsense "reduces rear-end collisions". BS!
It actually 'ups' the odds for all of the driver's having to follow! Lincoln tried it years ago on the 3rd brake light....fortunately, it didn't last long.

Spend some time behind one of those flashers in heavy traffic. You'll see so much panic braking creating a trail of chaos in their wake, it's criminal. But, you as a driver will toodle along feelin' all confident, all the while being clueless of the havoc you had a hand in causing behind you. :cool:

Or, you're left wondering why you got rear-ended....never realizing how much 'Cry Wolf" you've been doin' in traffic.

:crazydance
Rant Release

With all of the aux lighting on a Med Response Vehicle, how are flashing brake lights going to help?? If you're so blind you can't see all of the existing emergency lighting, how is a double brake tap going to make a difference? :rolleyes:

-Signed,
Nay Vote. :grinn

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
It is worse that that Hook'em I was behind a semi other day with it, all 4 four inch round red LEDs did the flash. I was looking for a clearing first time I had seen it.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Aggravating as crap. 3rd party insurance claim driven, it should be outlawed. nono

In an attempt to limit claims, some idiot dreamed up that nonsense "reduces rear-end collisions". BS!
It actually 'ups' the odds for all of the driver's having to follow! Lincoln tried it years ago on the 3rd brake light....fortunately, it didn't last long.

Spend some time behind one of those flashers in heavy traffic. You'll see so much panic braking creating a trail of chaos in their wake, it's criminal. But, you as a driver will toodle along feelin' all confident, all the while being clueless of the havoc you had a hand in causing behind you. :cool:

Or, you're left wondering why you got rear-ended....never realizing how much 'Cry Wolf" you've been doin' in traffic.

:crazydance
Rant Release

With all of the aux lighting on a Med Response Vehicle, how are flashing brake lights going to help?? If you're so blind you can't see all of the existing emergency lighting, how is a double brake tap going to make a difference? :rolleyes:

-Signed,
Nay Vote. :grinn
Agreed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The brake lights you see doing that are actually being driven by a flasher set on that pattern. With so many flashing lights they decided to use that as an "attention getter" because people's eyes are tunneled to the emergency lights and nothing else. I have 2 4"round amber led's for the back of my highway plow truck, simple yet bright, and no one ever seems to see my brake or turn signals. Been a fireman and first responder a better part of my life, and worked road construction...believe me the only thing they are paying attention to is where you're going or if they can squeeze by you with no more than half a lane. And yes, i know some of the lights have the patterns built in.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
More lights DO NOT make the scene safer.

Stats show, it greatly ups the additional fatality odds, of both the victim(s) and the Responders. Some will call it "The Moth Effect", as Drunks plow into the only thing on the road that's lit up....which is usually the LEO's vehicle.

The safest thing (stats show) that you can do at night while stopped on the side of the road/highway, is to NOT use any flashing red lights, instead using Amber lights and those should be Arrow Sticks used correctly (L or R).

The knowledge of human perception calls into question the use of red warning lights when the vehicle is parked in or next to the highway. Instead of warning people away, the red emergency lights actually draw drivers towards the lights. This so-called moth effect refers to "a state of narrowed attention associated with excessive concentration on some object or task with the resulting in a loss of voluntary control over response." People drive where they look! Drugged, drunk, elderly and fatigued drivers will drive right into the rear of the vehicle in the road and drive off the road to hit the vehicle parked on the shoulder that is displaying the red warning lights. This happens more than we like to admit. How many close calls have you had?

·
Registered
274 Posts
More lights DO NOT make the scene safer.

Stats show, it greatly ups the additional fatality odds, of both the victim(s) and the Responders. Some will call it "The Moth Effect", as Drunks plow into the only thing on the road that's lit up....which is usually the LEO's vehicle.

The safest thing (stats show) that you can do at night while stopped on the side of the road/highway, is to NOT use any flashing red lights, instead using Amber lights and those should be Arrow Sticks used correctly (L or R).
The one time this was debated wit me, a guy claimed the stats supported the ambers. However, it was a study from the 70's. Can I assume your stats are somewhat newer?

I'm gonna tell you right now, very few pay attention to Amber arrow sticks. The common motoring public ignore them or have no idea why the light is flashing towards one direction. I'll take bright flashing lights over Amber any day

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
The human eye has changed since the '70s?

Quote was from 2004, IIRC.

Again, it's not about being noticed...people steer in the direction of what their eyes are drawn to.

Want to warn of your coming braking event and get noticed? Amber turn signals do wonders to the attentive driver who's wondering what your next move is.

If they aren't attentive, or drunk/drugged/tired, the more lights you have on the more vehicles just become a carnival magnet to be plowed into.

And worse, it gives the Responders a false sense of security.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
How about we also include the fact of the drivers that aren't solar powered... driving across the open flat dark plains for a few hours, have a emergency vehicles suddenly blast you in the face.

That is ridiculous!!!!

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts

At least it is from this century....

At of curiosity, did you read your link? I quit after about 8 paragraphs, it appears to be all the authors opinions. It mentions studies, but I dont see anything where he cites any actual studies.

I like how he mentions an ISP study and claims they went to slick tops for safety. ISP's lights have only gotten brighter, often more lights installed Here recently, and safety had no bearing on the reason for a slick top.

Back to the op, something like this is most likely how they pulled it off. Did it appear to have led tail lights?

Dyna Flash Strobe Controller Flasher Safety Module for LED Brake Stop Light 12V | eBay

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sure, im just wanting it for the day time cause lets face it these brand bew cars and trucks have bright as hell led taillights but my trucks lights, at least during the day, theres not a huge difference between running lights and braking that can be seen or noticed. People drive so much and drive the same route they go into auto pilot and dont see my slightly brighter brake light. Thats why i want to do this. Im not talking about blinding the fuck outta people or making them freak out. But yes i agree that bright flashing things make you focus on that object and yes in turn makes you go where you look. Its only purpose is to say "hey pay attention im stopping". If you say thats too distracting then whats the difference between that and a beautiful jacked up and decked out duramax with awesome sounding turbo and exhaust. Or any kind of rubbernecking for that matter. Food for thought ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And honestly is it really that different from a turn signal... both blink to get attention and wanna drivers and if a turn signal freak you out then your probably driving to close, aka reaction time. I feel like its drivers training all over again haha. Im not trying to ruffle feather just trying state my opinion like you all did.

·
Registered
274 Posts
And honestly is it really that different from a turn signal... both blink to get attention and wanna drivers and if a turn signal freak you out then your probably driving to close, aka reaction time. I feel like its drivers training all over again haha. Im not trying to ruffle feather just trying state my opinion like you all did.
I completely understand

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Note: 'You' stated in the following, is not 'You' personally, just the theoretical driver.

The whole point of lighting and proper use is, to communicate. Let others you are sharing the road with know (or have some kind of clue) of not only where you are and how big you are, but what you intend to do.

Proper signal use is;
3 flashes completed before you cross the lane stripe to change lanes,
5 flashes completed before you turn.
Anything less is useless to anyone behind you.

If you're doin' it right, everyone behind you will have the clues to solve the mystery of why this vehicle in front of them is becoming an obstacle, and when this change of behavior will come to an end (you turned).

No signal used? You are incompetent.

Insufficient distance to warn others? You are the problem. 1 signal flash and a brake stomp does nothing but flash to the world, "I'm an Idiot!"
Should've stayed with item 1, then you'd just get the flyin' finger Honk award as one driver passed, instead of the next 3 or 4 seeing what a dunce you are. :cool:

Tint your lenses (for whatever reason)? No one can see you in the daylight. You shouldn't be driving. "But no, I did it this way." Doesn't matter 'how' you did it, we can't see/notice your brake lights. Flashing would only be flashing what we still can't see.

Lenses old, weathered, hazy and can't be seen? Polish/plastic restore, or better yet, replace. They're cheap.

Dull light bulbs? Fix the Ground.

My point in bringing up the flash and draw of attention was to illustrate how distracting it is. Sure, if the only time your brake lights did a double tap was when you are actually coming to a stop or completing your turn, that's altogether different.

Flashing in traffic every time you tap your brakes to cancel cruise, or adjust your speed, or nervous that you will have to quickly stop in following others, or you're lost and don't know if you've missed it....YOU are the distraction to others as they focus solely on You. Not focusing several cars ahead (braking) , not notice the other drivers' movements, not the other obstacles, not their lane markers, not the guy that broke down and is walkin' down the inside shoulder, etc. Just your silly double tap brake lights. nono

You are now worse than the clueless driver with their Turn Signal flashing endlessly....long ago used on the entrance ramp, miles back, who at any given moment will abruptly change lanes on top of you. :cool:

One of the hardest things I've found to teach, is to pull someone out of their scared, 10 & 2 death-grip, well entrenched tunnel vision style of driving and open up a whole new world of confidence and pleasure with 'Driving the Field' techniques instead.

Care to guess how much you'll freak these people out with a double tap brake light? Never knowing.....will it be this time? Or, the next flash? No, wait, here it comes... haha:

You'll feel like you're communicating with plenty of attention, while it's actually confusion spread to those behind you. Confusion on where/when you'll actually stop/turn, and confusion from the things they missed (or didn't misstomato:) from the excessive attention drawn away to the flash.

Thankfully, Municipal Buses have caught on and reduced the amount of flashing lights that did nothing but confuse drivers following.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts