Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a Bully Dog Triple Dog for an 07 (not the new body style). Do you think i could run the extreme program without any adverse effects on the trans? Do you think i could run this witht eh stock fuel system? I also have intake and exhaust.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
once you add say more than 85 hp, you are asking for problems with the stock trans. The stock fuel system should do ok. If you want to run the extreme program, save for an upgraded trans so you don't smoke it.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I am thinking the extreme setting might be a little rough on the stock transmission. I have a customer with the Diablosport and he has gone as far as the 120hp setting briefly with no side affects yet. Bottom line, it may cause you issues if you beat on it. You could add a shift kit or valve body to the transmission to help it out. Suncoast has some great parts available for the Allison.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ahve a shift kit that i never installed from my '04. Would this work on the new trans?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Probably not. The 07 is a 6speed and has a different valve body and TCM. My guess is there are lots of 5speed owners here that may want it, and you could get one for the 6 speed.

What is the kit you have now, I'll see what I can find out for ya.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a Bully Dog Extreme kit

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i wouldn't more then 90hp on the stock tranny with 100hp as your very max unless you plan on doing a new tranny in the near future and then buy the a big programmer and destroy that tranny.:drink ..with a good shift kit you can run 120hp decently with the stock torque converter...i did some experimenting on my 05 stock tranny and the most it would hold decently was 180hp with a shift kit....my new 06 LBZ 6speed trannys handle extra hp better then my 05 LLY:confused: also if you don't plan on doing any others mods other then a chip or programmer then don't buy one that is capable of more then 90hp,if you do you will not have the power to say no...trust me it is very hard to say no:D :rofgood luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will buying a new torque converter along with a shift kit be better? I have looked into it and I love the six gun on my '04 so I'll probably end up getting that with intake and exhaust. Dyno results on banks give it 140 extra horsepower. Im hoping the stock tranny can handle this with a shift kit and new torque convertor. Also i haven't been able to find any shift kits for the 6 speed. any suggestions?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Its a Bully Dog Extreme kit
Throw the Bully Dog shift kit in the trash, the TCM relearns the pressure changes because it doesn't have check valves and remaps the trans pressures to make it basically ineffective. As far as shift kits are concerned the Trans-go appears to be the best solution.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
If you are going to pull the tranny to change the TC, I would invest in some new clutches too. With a new TC and shift kit, you will hold more power for awhile, but eventually the clutches will be the weak link. As far as shift kits, trans-go is probably the best bet. I would PM Mike L., he should be able to hook you up with anything you might need. He is an allison guru and has built quite a reputation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I run the extreme on my LB7 all day long, But i put the edge on my buddys LBZ and on the 4th setting it was starving for fuel. I would say that you should shim the rail. Did that to his and it runns strong on the HOT setting :gearjamin ,But your trans will not hold up,:tease

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The Stage IV Suncoast kit comes complete with instructions and everything. On kit to build the sucker for over 500 RWHP.

Just like the other 2 brands, the motors can make some serious power, but teh transmissions need help dealing with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts