Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i was in the process of taking my downpipe out tonight now its getting late and i got to get up at 345 but got everything loose just cant get the damn thing out bout ready to torch it. first questions is will the truck be ok to drive with it off (no downpipe attached to turbo) its still under there ive got it to a point where i cant get it off or back on. so i wired it to the stuff to keep it from moving while driving. can anyone post pics of what i need to do to get the fucking thing out!

·
BANNED
789 Posts
If you have someone that can help you get them to wiggle or tap on the bottom while you work at the top.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would not drive it w/o the pipe on, did you take off the heat shield bolts? Loosen the trans dipstick and pull it up?
ok not doubting your judement but what could or would happen without the dp on it

·
Registered
271 Posts
the turbo points straight at the firewall and that is hot air, plus all the soot/smoke that would go all over your engine bay, it would be very very loud aswell

if you got the trans dipstick pulled up a little and take off the 3 heatshield bolts you should be able to wiggle it out the passenger wheel well

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
the turbo points straight at the firewall and that is hot air, plus all the soot/smoke that would go all over your engine bay, it would be very very loud aswell

if you got the trans dipstick pulled up a little and take off the 3 heatshield bolts you should be able to wiggle it out the passenger wheel well
X2 it takes a little turning and frustration. Some say to take it out the top but it isn't really practical. Try turning the mouth of the dp up ward and wiggling it out the bottom. If you don't have the fender well out already then you'll want to remove it and work from the side, makes it easier.

·
Registered
56 Posts
my guys just did my LMM today...HUGE PIA the dip stick MUST come out and also wont go back on like stock (i forget brand dp i got, diamond maybe?) but anyways, huge pia the heat shields suck. We dropped the exhaust a bit and pulled out the bottom. Took honestly about 3 hrs to do (never did one before and we do bikes..not trucks :) )

·
Registered
271 Posts
my guys just did my LMM today...HUGE PIA the dip stick MUST come out and also wont go back on like stock (i forget brand dp i got, diamond maybe?) but anyways, huge pia the heat shields suck. We dropped the exhaust a bit and pulled out the bottom. Took honestly about 3 hrs to do (never did one before and we do bikes..not trucks :) )
the dipstick wont go back in like stock? I didnt think it was that bad of a job.

·
Registered
56 Posts
no the brackets on the dip stick didnt fit right. again, my guys did it but know they showed me. I'd guess the fact the dp is large round pipe now, where the oem was kinked/flat where the dipstick was? who knows, it worked out ok in the end...again my guys said "beers on boss" was not enough for doing the DP on the shop truck thou :)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
just yell at it...took me 3 hours, lost my voice from yelling at it, and lost the skin on my knuckles..but we got it done...and its worth it!

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
just yell at it...took me 3 hours, lost my voice from yelling at it, and lost the skin on my knuckles..but we got it done...and its worth it!
Now try fitting a 4" down pipe in there.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
i'd probably burn the b*tch!:flaminn

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
I want to do my DP so bad but just dont have the time to devote to it. Would it make it alot easier to do on a lift vs sitting/laying on the ground? I put my exhaust on using a friends list. Off and on in a little over an hour

·
Registered
366 Posts
I wont lie, the downpipe was a major mofo. I didnt have to pull my dipstick completly out. I just took both bolts off and lifted it up slightly. That allowed me a little better access to the downpipe shield bolts. Once I had the downpipe shield off then I worked the shield out through the top. I dont think the downpipe will come out without taking that shield off. Once I had it off the downpipe came out the bottom with some wiggling.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Cut the heat shield and chunk it, loosen dipstick nuts, soak it with lube not kidding I sprayed the shit out of mine with slick 50, and then jerk and pray. It sucks but the new one is easy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts