Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, i'm replacing my factory exhaust off my 2004.5 LLY Duramax. I've decided to go with the MBRP Pro series downpipe-back exhaust and a stainless steel downpipe from PPE. My question to anyone who has done this, is it necessary to buy the PPE downpipe support bracket? I've seen some guys who do and others who don't. Why or why not?
Thanks in advance.

Part Numbers:
MBRP Pro Series downpipe-back Exhaust: MBS6004304
2. PPE Stainless Steel Downpipe: PPE117000500
Downpipe Support Bracket: PPE116110505

·
Registered
260 Posts
yes on support bracket helps stress on turbo.

Reactions: Squatchy96'

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,994 Posts
Just about every stock downpipe I've ever taken off a truck had the factory bracket that attached it to the manifold broken. I've put aftermarket downpipes on probably a dozen trucks without ever putting a support bracket on with no problems created by not having it. The exhaust should have enough support throughout that you don't need the bracket anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, thanks for the advice. Would you recommend putting both stock heat shields over the turbo and downpipe after installation?

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,994 Posts
If your firewall insulation is torn up or anything, take it out. The aftermarket downpipes don't have the brackets to put the heat shield on, but wrapping is a good idea too. The turbo heat shield is kinda up to you though. I usually don't put them back on though

·
Former GM Tech and parts
2,994 Posts
And just throwing this out there- I've never used the PPE downpipe; I have used the DHD stainless downpipe on several trucks, and always liked the fitment and everything with them. Thats my preferred choice myself

·
Registered
61 Posts
i replaced my downpipe with the ppe stainless steel, came wrap already with insolation. i didnt put the turbo shield back on and just used the bracket attachted to the downpipe and it goes to the stock location.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts