Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a 2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the Duramax 6.6 with 163k miles.
A few months ago the message on the dash started popping up letting me know the DPF was being cleaned and to keep driving. Then a few weeks ago it started reducing power. I've got an ash problem that the regen can't fix.

Does anyone know of a modification kit that would make removing DPF for cleaning easier than removing the whole 9 foot pipe? Something that requires cleaning and maintenance every 150k shouldn't been so difficult to remove.
I've been thinking about having a muffler shop cut the pipe post DPF and adding flanges and bolts.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Has anyone done this?

Sorry if this has been posted already but searches only results in delete and tuning posts.

· Registered
474 Posts
I have cut open and cleaned a clogged DPF on my 2011 work truck. It kept getting the message and then eventually limited the speed to 55 then 25. Took it to dealer and they said need a new DPF which is about $3500 new. I cut the exhaust just behind the DPF and put a union on when I put it back in.

Anyhow I cleaned it with a cleaning kit from LiquiMoly. Spray in one solution, let it sit, then spray in the second solution. Then used a pressure washer to clean it. The crap that came out of that thing was amazing. Black and grey. Cleaned it for about 20 minutes with the pressure washer then blew it out for about 20 minutes with a shopvac on reverse. Then let it sit for a couple days. Reassembled everything and ran 2 manual regens and it has been working great for 10K miles so far. I have commercial vehicles so deleting the DPF is not an option for me.

· Premium Member
89 Posts
used a pressure washer to clean it. The crap that came out of that thing was amazing. Black and grey. Cleaned it for about 20 minutes with the pressure washer
I have a quick one for you, what fitting did you use on the pressure washer?

I have heard the internals of a DPF are very fragile. I am thinking if you get a little bit overzealous with the pressure washer the DPF could be as good as toast lol.

· Registered
474 Posts
I have a quick one for you, what fitting did you use on the pressure washer?

I have heard the internals of a DPF are very fragile. I am thinking if you get a little bit overzealous with the pressure washer the DPF could be as good as toast lol.
It was a wider fan, maybe 40 degrees. The internals seemed pretty durable IMO. I had watched a bunch of videos of people cleaning big rig DPFs with pressure washers. I stayed 6 inches away from the end of the filter element. My guess is it is some type of ceramic with tons of holes. Also just a warning about drying it out. I have also heard that if you run it wet the exhaust temps boil any residual water in the element and it creates cracks in the element when the steam releases reducing its ability to filter.

I'm more embarrassed about my welding job putting the end back on :) It is airtight though, just not pretty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.