Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have and '08 LMM and I want to find out what I can do to improve my fuel mileage. How do you delete the DPF program and will this void the warranty?
Being new at this what is the best performance chip, air intake and exhaust you would recommend for the LMM?
I had and '06 duramax with a Bully Dog Power Pup chip and my fuel mileage was a lot beeter than I'm currently getting on this '08.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13,927 Posts
I would do the delete technically its only sippose to void the warranty on the exhaust but all dealers diff. I run the MBRP, and Quadzilla stealth 2 on my truck. And that is the best combo imo for overall driveability, the PPE is a race tuner. Let me know if you have any questions, i have alot of experience with the dpf delete.

Thanks Tyler
MPF,LLC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. I live in Missouri and we only have safety inspection on diesel truck with on emissions testing required.
Sound like if I get rid of the DPF system it will help a lot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I Have An 09 Dually 1400 Miles Bullydog In Tow Mode With 37 Tires Just Melted Guts In Cat And Pluged Up Dpf What To Do Better After I Replace Parts

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Don't get bullydog would be my first advice. Its tunes are dirty, and thats the reason you plugged up the DPF. since you've probably already voided your warranty by having a tuner on it, do it right this time and get a 4" exhaust and a quality tuner like a PPE or Edge Evoluion, something that will perform well and drive like a duramax should.

If I can help let me know. I'd be happy to talk over the options with you and find what suits you best :)

-Jesse

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
I Have An 09 Dually 1400 Miles Bullydog In Tow Mode With 37 Tires Just Melted Guts In Cat And Pluged Up Dpf What To Do Better After I Replace Parts
do a full dpf delete and get a better tuner then the bullydog

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I'm not sure I's replace them, and I sure wouldn't be seeking any help from the dealer on this.

Here is my recommendation. Ditch the Dog, Cat, and DPF in one shot with a Quadzilla Stealth II and a MBRP 4" Downpipe back system, for a fraction of the cost of replacing those parts with OEM and just plugging them up again.

Your performance and MPG will be greatly improved.

Let me know if I can work you up a package deal..

Thanks!

Jess

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tyler,

What happened to all your support for the Edge Evo Race tuner you sold me for an 08 LMM. I asked you that same question 5 months ago and you were all about the Edge Evo. I have great results with it and the MBRP exhuast combo.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
X2- Tyler, the Edge EVO+Race is the best bang for the buck.

The stealth II is a great tuner if you want a pocket-book friendly DPF delete, and are looking for a small tune.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll check the date the next time I open my mouth, thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This Is A California Model Tree Hugger Approved,from Some Of The Other Posts Ive Read Some Recomened Not Removing Dpf But Going With Ppe And Blocking Regen Program Does This Work

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
If you go with a PPE and you keep the DPF you do NOT want to block the regens. No matter what tuning you're running, stock, PPE, Edge, whatever, if you keep the DPF you NEED the regens to clean out the DPF or else it will plug again. You won't get the mileage gains with the DPF on like you would without it, and it's very expensive to replace a DPF, which is why we all recommend not putting one back on.

If you live in california, then you may not have any option but to buy another one. But even then, you can put an aftermarket exhaust on, then swap back to stock for inspections.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
What do you mean? Not sure I follow.

The DPF is designed to get hot and burn off the soot it filters out of the exhaust. The funnly looking tip is designed to help cool the exhaust before it comes out the end, it's all designed to work with the regen process. As a result the DPF is a huge restriction in the exhaust flow, and it kills your fuel mileage, and the extra fuel used during regen doesn't help any either.

But you can't turn off the regens with the DPF intact or nothing will burn the soot out of the filter, and it will plug. Then you're stuck in the same predicament you are now. As for performance and mileage, with the DPF on, you can get some more power, but since the exhaust is so restricted your EGT's will skyrocket, and it puts your turbo at risk. A free flowing aftermarket exhaust eliminates the cat and DPF, opening up the exhaust, and giving you more freedom to add power without the sky high EGT's you'd see with the DPF still there. Eliminating the restricions in the exhaust along with no regens, and the added power from the tuner will get you anywhere from 2-4 mpg more than you're currently seeing.

I hope that does a good job of explaning things :)

-jesse

·
Registered
30 Posts
What do you mean? Not sure I follow.

The DPF is designed to get hot and burn off the soot it filters out of the exhaust. The funnly looking tip is designed to help cool the exhaust before it comes out the end, it's all designed to work with the regen process. As a result the DPF is a huge restriction in the exhaust flow, and it kills your fuel mileage, and the extra fuel used during regen doesn't help any either.

But you can't turn off the regens with the DPF intact or nothing will burn the soot out of the filter, and it will plug. Then you're stuck in the same predicament you are now. As for performance and mileage, with the DPF on, you can get some more power, but since the exhaust is so restricted your EGT's will skyrocket, and it puts your turbo at risk. A free flowing aftermarket exhaust eliminates the cat and DPF, opening up the exhaust, and giving you more freedom to add power without the sky high EGT's you'd see with the DPF still there. Eliminating the restricions in the exhaust along with no regens, and the added power from the tuner will get you anywhere from 2-4 mpg more than you're currently seeing.

I hope that does a good job of explaning things :)

-jesse
That is an accurate and concise explanation. Now, if I don't shoot my whole was in Vegas this weekend, I'll step into line for an exhaust upgrade along with Evo Race or QSII.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just wanted to jump in on this thread. I have a stock 08 Dually CC. I had an 04 LB7that I put the 6-gun bundle on and drove for 70k miles with no prob. Only thing with the LMM is the DPF. I loved Banks product, but I dont see where they have a delete kit with anything they offer. Is the DPF deletion not that big of a deal? It seems it would be restrictive and rob mileage-but I'm not clear on this. Tyler, Jess- Feel free to work me up a price on a kit each of you would recommend. I want the best mix of reliabilty, and power. Thanks guys! And I love the site. Information is power! I will be sigining up as a premium member for sure.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have another option,

Currently running EFI Live Lev 2, DPF Delete, but the DPF is still there only with the core bashed out with a 6' solid tank bar.... Looks good... Intact to the eye...

I did that with the kitty on my Fords, a high temp ceramic honeycomb punched out with a tank bar, made a mess, results would impress$.... :D:D:gearjamin

·
Quicker Then Brian!
11,080 Posts
I have another option,

Currently running EFI Live Lev 2, DPF Delete, but the DPF is still there only with the core bashed out with a 6' solid tank bar.... Looks good... Intact to the eye...

I did that with the kitty on my Fords, a high temp ceramic honeycomb punched out with a tank bar, made a mess, results would impress$.... :D:D:gearjamin
hmmm....first time ive heard of someone doing that.

i wonder what the computer would think if you left the tuning stock:confused::confused::confused:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts