Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here - 6 weeks into a '19 2500 that will be towing an 8K trailer. Just trying to be prepared.

So let's say you are towing your trailer down the interstate, go around a curve, and traffic is at a dead stop as far as you can see. No exits in sight and as we all know these waits are rarely short.

Just as you roll to a stop, you get the message "Continue Driving to complete regen" or whatever it says. I've read that it might disable the truck if you shut it off at this point, and you can't continue driving for a good while.

Do you shut it off, do you put it in neutral and rev up to 2000 rpm's until it's finished? How do you handle that situation??

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you are in an active regen while driving, it will remain in regen at idle or continue where it left off if you shut it down until all soot is burned off in the DPF. While towing, you are also generating elevated exhaust temperatures which aids in burning off this soot.

In the three years that I've had my truck, I've never seen the "continue driving" message ever come on.

You will experience multiple regens in your future. You will know as the idle speed will be elevated. I feel it the most at stop lights as it requires a little more brake pressure to hold her back (plus I have a CTS that monitors soot grams and Regen Status). I don't believe the CTS can monitor soot grams in the '17's or above...I believe it's soot percentage).

I don't think this will be a concern for you...the bigger concern will be sitting in traffic for long periods of time. That sucks...

Reactions: jdwarren

·
Registered
31 Posts
Been driving DPF trucks since 2010.

Still haven't seen a 'keep driving' message.

As EJCarter says most won't ever see that message.

Stop overthinking it and enjoy the truck.

I’ve seen it once mainly because my trip to work is only 3 miles. If your towing and driving long distances I highly sought you’ll ever see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've spent 6 hours studying/reading the manuals trying to get knowledgable. I was under the impression that the regen required more exhaust heat than what is generated at idle. Are you saying it can complete the regen at idle, and without me increasing the idle speed?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I’ve seen it once mainly because my trip to work is only 3 miles. If your towing and driving long distances I highly sought you’ll ever see it.

Yes if you keep stopping thus interrupting the process then you will eventually see this message.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've spent 6 hours studying/reading the manuals trying to get knowledgable. I was under the impression that the regen required more exhaust heat than what is generated at idle. Are you saying it can complete the regen at idle, and without me increasing the idle speed?

No it will attempt to finish at idle for 5 minutes or so then will turn regen off and the idle will go back down to normal. But as soon as you start driving again it will reactivate the process. No messages will pop up though till after multiple attempts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It can not complete a regen at idle speeds alone, but it will keep the idle elevated during a regen to try and keep EGT's up until you can continue driving. If you notice the truck is attempting a regen, either by the idle being elevated, monitoring on a CTS display or seeing the message on the DIC, continue driving it for several miles. I've noticed the easier you can drive it the quicker it will finish. If you can maintain 40-55 MPH for 10-15 miles, that's usually enough.

·
Registered
271 Posts
So I have a question myself. There are times I’m in a hurray and arrive to my destination before regen is complete. Is it hard on anything heat wise to just shut it down while regen is still in process? These trucks regen so often seems like I’ve already ran into this a few times now.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
My LML probably had more interrupted regens than non-interrupted ones.

In my opinion/experience it's not an issue.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My thoughts too as I’m sure GM took this into consideration. Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I have a question myself. There are times I’m in a hurray and arrive to my destination before regen is complete. Is it hard on anything heat wise to just shut it down while regen is still in process? These trucks regen so often seems like I’ve already ran into this a few times now.

No, but I always try to continue driving until it's done. It takes less time to finish that regen cycle than letting it cool down, restarting and waiting for several minutes for it to warm up and start again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts